Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School Project

Talking School Project

Hello! My name is Julie and I am doing a project for school about wilderness survival. Can you answer a few questions about survival for me? Thanks!
    Please leave your name and what you do as well! It will help me A LOT.
    -Julie M.

Questions:

-What draws you to nature?
    -What is the hardest part of wilderness survival for you?
    -The easiest?
    -How long have you spent doing this?
    -Best experience?
    -Worst experience?
    -Is it something anyone can do?
    -Should more people learn how?

Banned

Hmmmmm ????

Blog Entries

Cool Heh, heh!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Hmmmmm ????
    You're learning, Justin. Why Julie, I would love to answer your questions, but not without a proper intro. Here's where you start, okay?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Intro 1st, Info 2nd, fair enough?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Julie,
    Before we answer any questions we would like to know a bit about yourself. If you go to the introductions section, you will find a format of questions asking about you. You are not required to answer every question but the more you answer the more of a picture we have of you as to judge how indepth our response should be.
    I know what hunts you.

Hi Julie. It would help us to understand your request a bit better. What class is this for and what grade are we talking about?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

...and please dont make your next post about how you and a friend are planning to spend a year in the woods with just a knife or something like that!! If you do...brace yourself! If you are legit, there are tons of people here who can help you but if you arent...run now!

Oh no, I'm not some delusional person hoping to capture the romance of nature like in the books. I am doing something called "Grad Challenge" which all seniors at my school have to complete in order to graduate. My chosen topic is wilderness survival. I've gotten down the mental attitude needed after being very lost in the woods, and I've gotten fairly good at making shelters. I will soon be attending a bow drill class. My final task for this project will be a fairly controlled several day stay in the forest. I threw my intro in the introduction forum, though it's not much. Thanks again!

Julie - As an administrator for the site, I can see information you've left that other folks cannot see (the mods can). So I know, based on the email you left, where you are located. I mean EXACTLY where you are located and what your name is. If you think about that a moment, I'm sure you'll understand how I know that. That's not a very safe thing for you so it's something you need to consider for the future and something you've just learned about survival. You don't know anyone on this forum and any one of us could be a predator.

Now, let's see about those questions. I would still be interested to know what class this is. However, grade isn't important to me now.

I think being out in nature is an extension of my religion. It's probably the place I'm most in tune with my Creator. There is something of beauty around every turn and always something to learn.

Perfecting my skills. It's a life long learning process that never ends. You must practice them time and time again because the environment you are in changes.

-The easiest?

Staying alert to what is going on around you. Paying attention. It's easy enough to do and a good many folks don't do it.

I grew up doing it to some degree. I learned a lot as a kid. All in all, probably around 20 years.

-Best experience?

Time spent in Alaska. It's unbelievably beautiful. Unbelievably bountiful. It's on a truly massive scale.

-Worst experience?

I guess getting caught out in an overnight rain. I don't much care to be wet especially if I'm trying to sleep.

It is. If they want to and they are determined. Blind and amputees have scaled Everest. You won't find much in the wilderness more difficult than that.

Yes. Wouldn't you like to be more in tune with nature? Wouldn't you like to have the skills to extricate yourself from a dangerous or life threatening situation? Wouldn't it be nice to pick a salad out of your back yard or know which plants your can use to brew up a great cup of tea or relieve your poison ivy? You can do all of that.

I hope that helps a bit. It's just my opinion based on my experience and my beliefs. If anything I said piques your curiosity then stick around and read what some of the members have to say. Good luck with the assignment and let us know how you did.

EDIT: I was writing this up when you posted above. Thanks for the information.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

-What draws you to nature? I'm a loner mostly

-What is the hardest part of wilderness survival for you? Staying alive long enough to be rescued.

-The easiest? Not surviving...."Dieing is easy. It's living thats hard".

-How long have you spent doing this? According to Sarge we've all been surviving since we were born.

-Best experience? Going into the bush and coming out unscathed.

-Worst experience? Going into the bush and coming out with a broken leg.

-Is it something anyone can do? With the appropriate training and mind-set.

-Should more people learn how? Of course.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Thanks, Rick! May I quote you in a paper that I am writing? It's not a published type of thing, just a school essay.
    "Tread lightly and carry a big stick."-Ben Franklin

Thanks, Kevin! Same questions apply to anyone that replies, just let me know if you don't feel like being mentioned in a paper!
    "Tread lightly and carry a big stick."-Ben Franklin

You bet! I'll have my publicist contact you. My fee is small. I generally get 15% of everything you make on the paper. So I expect an A.

What draws you to nature?

I was born into and see no worth while reason to change.

What is the hardest part of wilderness survival for you?

The encroachment of civilization.

The easiest?

Fishing, they say "Time spent fishing is not deducted from your life span".

How long have you spent doing this?

All my life and hopefully beyond.

Best experience?

When I realized that the Holy Spirit was Gods active force shaping creation.

Worst experience?

Exxon oil spill.

Is it something anyone can do?

By any means possible, remember that!

Should more people learn how?

No, There is not room for the entire population in the circle of life. We'll scooch over for you.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 03-06-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Banned

It would be very interesting to see your paper when you are done

Questions:

It's more that I am repelled by city life
    Dealing with my own inadequacies and skill level
    -The easiest?
    This can change from day to day..I guess keeping busy with the basics...food,fire, etc.
    20 years now...man I'm getting old!
    -Best experience?
    Hiking the Hudson gorge in the adirondacks back in the early 90's
    -Worst experience?
    Hiking the Hudson gorge in the adirondacks back in the early 90's
    With the right amount of training and conditioning, yup.
    Yes, as long as they practice a long way from here!

Hope this is useful!
    Last edited by Camp10; 03-06-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Hi Julie362.

What draws you to nature?
    For me, it is about my senses. The views, the souds and the smells. They allow me time to reflect on things that are important. Nature gives me time to relax and get away from the day to day routines that I have wandered into. Having spent a good many years in small and confined spaces with no contact with the outside world (submarines, not jail) it also gives me a sense of freedom. The vastness of my surroundings always leave me in awe and knowing that this was not all created by accident.

I have not placed myself in a true survival situation in the wilderness.

-The easiest?
    With proper planning and practice, it all comes relatively easy. There are times where there is a great deal of physical exertion, but I consider that just reminding me I'm alive.

Off and on since I was a teen - I'm in my 50's now.

-Best experience?
    Camping and hiking around the country.

-Worst experience?
    Hitchhiking in Colorado with all of my camping gear and a motorcycle.

Yes.

Yes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Instinct,my whole life I've been drawn to nature for no other reason than the deep heart felt feeling it was where I belonged.
    Can't think of anything other than the attitude of family & freinds labeling me as a wierdo.
    -The easiest?
    Everything, I know nature has everthing for me just waiting to be found as the need arises.
    12 years old, 48 now thats 36years.
    -Best experience?
    Freedom,REAL FREEDOM!
    -Worst experience?
    Haven't had any yet. In nature that that doesn't kill you out right ,makes you stronger,and wiser.
    Yes,but most people have been taught to ignore thier instincts,and don't have the cofidence that everthing they need is there.
    Yes,it should be taught in school from day one! I feel we really aren't given the choice between the "made up world" and the "real world"
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

-What draws you to nature? Nature! I just like being outside and finding and experiencing all the things nature has to offer.

-What is the hardest part of wilderness survival for you? I don't really consider myself a wilderness survivalist, but getting people to accept the thought of someone wanting to live more at one with nature is the hardest for me, other than actually learning wilderness living skills.

-The easiest? The easiest is all the technological aspects of survivng in the wilderness. It's easy to get CPR training, etc. and it's easy to purchase and learn to use modern survival tools and such.

-How long have you spent doing this? Surviving in the wilderness? I haven't! I've pretty much had survival handed to me on a silver platter and spend most of my days living. Now, if you had asked, How long have I been practicing survival skills and using what nature provides? I've been doing that to some extent my entire life, but have only delved more deeply into plant identification, shelter building, mushroom identification, preserving and storing food without refrigeration, and such over the past 8 or so years. For me it's a slow progression.

-Best experience? I have no best experience. There are many great experiences, and a few not so great. My best experiences are doing something for the first time and having the outcome be good.

-Worst experience? Getting attacked by hornets or walking half frozen after a breakdown in a bad winter storm. The hornets were just uncomfortable, but the freezing part came close to being life threatening. Neither time did I have to use wilderness skills to overcome them, but wilderness skills would likely have prevented them in the first place.

-Is it something anyone can do? To some extent yes. If you are blind or disabled in some way then you are going to be limited to an extent. That is the only real barrier I see.

-Should more people learn how? People should do whatever suits them. I can't answer yes or no. I would like more people to learn and practice in every day life the skills our forefathers or ancestors used on a daily basis. I think the world as a whole would be much more sustainable if we did. I'm not talking about reverting back to a time before modern medicine and certain conveniences, but growing your own fruits and vegetables, raising your own animals, and hunting and gathering to supplement our modern lifestyle.
    Last edited by rwc1969; 03-06-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Hi Julie! If this helps you in school you can use mine.

I have always been drawn to nature, It is peaceful,serene and beautiful. It can also be unnerving,chaotic,and quite ugly. Nature is just....Natural. It is a little of everything, both good and bad. The better you learn to deal with Nature on it's own terms, the better you learn to deal with all of life.
    Staying alive. It is a never ending job. It is 24/7/365, every second of every day. Parts of it are enjoyable, parts are sheer drudgery. Knowing what, in nature, is most beneficial to you, takes quite a bit of knowledge. So I would have to say the Learning is the hardest thing.
    -The easiest?
    Enjoying the "freedom", the sights and scenery.
    I started when I was a teenager. I turn 50 this year. It has been an on again,off again thing for me, or I would be more advanced than I am.
    -Best experience?
    Staying alive, while helping some others to do the same thing.
    -Worst experience?
    Being Homeless, for a little over a year. I did learn some things then though.
    Yes. It is something that anyone can and should learn.
    I think it should be required learning for anyone that ventures even 100 yards out of a city. No one knows when or how this kind of education could very well save their life. Isn't your life worth learning some basic skills? Even should you stay in a city there are Tornadoes, Earthquakes, floods and the like. This education could very well save lives in these situations.

Hi julie362,

Questions:

As a 9 year old kid I watched shows with characters like Jeremiah Johnson and Grizzly Adams with amazement. The scenery was nothing like the suburbs of chicago. I have always enjoyed the the amazing diversity of the world beyond the buildings. I find a comfort and solitude in nature.

I have never been in a situation that put me in a concern for survival. My physical condition would be the hardest part. I limit the difficulty of my wilderness experiences, taking my condition in to account when planning a trip. Making time to work on my physical condition has been a challenge. Scheduling with others for taking trips.

-The easiest?
    Like crash said Planing and practice, I have enough space that I can work with new equipment. I am fortunate in that the offices for Monongahela National Forest is close. They are helpful in selecting trails to match my abilities. I may not have had much opportunity in the wild to work on my survival skills, But i can always work things out at home first.

I have been "camping" on and off since I was in high school. I have been working on survival skills for a little over a year as time allows. Its never enough.

-Best experience?
    White water canoeing on the Tomahawk River in Upper Wisconsin. Good group of folks working together. We had deer watching us at the edge of the fire light it was dusk and we were singing I thought it sounded good, The deer probably thought "there goes the neighborhood.

-Worst experience?

Late April rendezvous camping trip. Canvas tents with a ground cloth. It was rainy on and off the week before. We set up camp Friday afternoon. Some of us were careful were we put our tents. Others were not so careful. Three tents were in a lower spot. It started raining again the ground was already saturated. The runoff was going under their ground cloths and getting every thing wet including their bedding. I ended up with two people in my tent which meant I had to move my gear out under a tarp to make room. A cold front moved in rain turned to snow. Still not too bad. The bad part, the husband and wife complained to each other. I got fed up, and used my wife's camp bedding and went to sleep. My wife was not at this event luckily I had some of her gear. Seems like it took a week to clean all the mud from my gear.

Yes any one can study read and work on survival skills at home. I study survival skills to be a safer camper. If I find my self in a survival situation, I'm sure the skills I have practiced will be of benefit.

Yes, Definitely.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.