Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Spear" me the details.

Crash, not a bad idea. I have a few old bits that are useless this goes on my tinker list.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

The only spear I ever had any use with was a frog or trident spear. We would use them for carp and frogs. I think that you could hunt or fish quite a few meals with one.

I agree the gig (metal or wood) is better than just a spear point. I've used a gig quite a bit and the barbs definitely help.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Gig...couldnt come up with that for the life of me! I knew it had a real name.

Default Spears

In my opinion, I think a spear makes a good weapon. It easy to make and use, and they have good reach. Not so good for hunting though.

I have plans to make a combo walking stick / spear. With the spear head well sheathed. It would not be good to trip while hiking with a spear.

Hey there Norwolf. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your walking stick / spear. In the meantime, and when you get a chance, how about stopping by the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    if you can hit a bird with an atl-atl, you earn my respect.
    OK so it's been a few days. I mostly post at work, when the crazies are asleep and I've nothing better to do. but any who. In regards to Canid. you'd earn mine too. That was really more of a notion that what I think I would do. Now on spears as a defense weapon... As a long time martial artist A GOOD SPEAR. i.e. well constructed with a good sharp leaf shaped blade, can make an excellent slashing and thrusting weapon. Great for dismounting a opponent on horse back or keeping a more heavily armored aggressor at bay... ext. however for a modern Man-Man, confrontation. you would most likely have to be pretty premeditated to use a spear, and I think that's what the courts would say too.

however for a modern Man-Man, confrontation. you would most likely have to be pretty premeditated to use a spear, and I think that's what the courts would say too.
    i agree. with that said: bring on thunderdome!
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

While I was waiting on some glue to set up on a couple of knives (kind of like watching paint dry) I grabbed an extra spade bit I had. Filing a few more barbs might be a good idea, but here's what 3 minutes with a sander and angle grinder yielded.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What would you use that for Crash? Squirrel, Fish?

Anything you want really. The only experience I have with a spear is for fishing though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you are going to pack any sort of metal spearhead, I recommend making it with fluting, rather than the "stick socket" for it to fit in. more compact, less weight, and it's easy to make bindings in the field.

using it for hunting, I could only see it as part of a trap. ever seen Apocalypto? pointy things can do lots of damage to whatever springs the trap. I see viability in that respect, but most of the natives used the herding tactics that AS points out. It's a lot easier to stick one with such a slow weapon when there are lots of them in a bunch.

Would I rely on it for fishing? probably not, but I'd definately be trying if my life depended on it. Fish traps can be set up to fish for you while you walk the fish toward the trap, attempting to spear one all the while. Would I use it if I had it? Dang Right! but depending on it?.. no way. definately secondary to other methods.

Crash, do you think you could grind a "twist" in it? Maybe heat the preform and twist it first? sort of a spiraled blade that would go in, turn a little, and wouldn't come back out when you pull back from your thrust? my biggest problem with spear fishing was pulling the spear back out and having to chase my floating fish downstream lol. Not that I ever did it much, but we tried a few times as kids and had fun when the creek was low.
    We have an old rock-wheel type grinder and I have a lot of spade bits that are no good.. I'm gonna make a few of these to pack.. great idea! I can see where packing that would save a LOT of stone drill bits too as far as tools go. I made a bamboo hand drill with a chuck so you could change out bits.. I'll have to take some pics of it. Now you went from spearpoint to multitool! I'm seriously considering adding a few of these to my bag. Thanks for taking the time to make them and take pics (and inspire us!). You just made my whole day
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I agree the gig (metal or wood) is better than just a spear point. I've used a gig quite a bit and the barbs definitely help.
    Ditto.
    I keep a #2 fish/frog gig in all three of my wilderness kits.
    They are lightweight and take up very little space.
    Make sure to cover the tines/barbs with cardobard/duct tape/etc for safety.

While not a true "spear," they are very handy and gigging fish is not that difficult at all but requires a lot of patience.

Make sure to check your state's fish/game laws BEFORE trying it out in a non-survival situation as gigging fish may be illegal during certain times of the year or even entirely illegal at any time of the year.

in what sense of the word are they not a true spear?

frog gig fits my definition to a 't'
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I carry a "throwing knife" from UC 10 1/2" oal. double edged.
    Slot a {spear shaft} at one end, insert the knife handle into the slot and bind it tightly with sinew/cord/shoe laces etc...
    Spear shaft, for me is my walking stick with a slot at the end already in it, the throwing knife is in my small pack...so no need to worry no one.
    A throwing knife is "softer" than it can withstand the "shock" of impact as this what it is designed for. It will take a lot more stress before breaking than a harder knife blade.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

You'd be better using the hole in the paddle bit to attach a cable or cord. this creates a toggle that works even on monster gators.

I use a harpoon with a muzzy bone crusher tip toggled on a stainless rig for gators. Fish harpoons are usually curved and toggled, using a wider "broad head" blade.

Here is a picture showing my gator getters.

I'm gonna post the rest in what have you done this week. The muzzy bone crusher on the cable is electrical taped to a stainless head on a wooden dowel. A rope is tied to the harpoon and the boat or truck.

I have made and used haiwaiin slings many times as a youngster. we liked the frog gig tridents but found that 6, 8" pieces of sharpened Chain link fence wire lashed to the end worked better. That's some thick and springy stuff. Even nailed a grouper once... about a 20 pounder and I swam that sucker to shore...
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]