Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Spear" me the details.

Default "Spear" me the details.

Ok so sorry for the pun. I was watching a movie tonight (HellBoy II) and the bad guy was whipping around this spear. Now for forever I've kinda liked the look of theSOG Fusion Spirit; what I don't like about it is that unless your carrying a threaded mop handle with you, your going to have to make your own shaft. Now Spears used by native peoples aren't just hap-hazard pointy things, they're fairly well crafted and engineered to do the jobs that they did. So As a survival tool, your thoughts my friends on the spear.
    A. Good idea to keep in the hopper or not?
    B. Best option for your spear. Strap your knife to a pole. or (if space in your kit allows) carry a spear head. or knapp or carve your spear head/spear in the bush
    C. Is this a choice you'd make for hunting or personal defense.

As for myself this is what I'm thinking. I like the idea of a spear in the bush. However I favor packing a spear head in my gear incase of a emergency that leaves me lost or stranded. my thinking is that I would be packing all of my food in, and if something goes wrong then I will have a leg up on hunting game. (Woof sorry for the book of a post.)
    Last edited by Dross; 03-06-2010 at 06:21 AM.

i see one problem here, and it's one i've heard voiced here before:

a spear is subjected to different use than a knife, and generally, to greater risk. would you want to shell out $30-40 on a knife you're destined to abuse, when you can make a perfectly suitable spearhead so easily and cheaply from scrap metal?

the threaded socket mount is kinda cool, but it's certainly not nessecary, and yes, it would be at least slightly inconvenient if you had to improvise a shaft from wood.

i wouldn't go for it, unless it was to complement a collection or such.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

A. Good idea to keep in the hopper or not?
    Ideas and information are always good things to keep around.
    B. Best option for your spear. Strap your knife to a pole. or (if space in your kit allows) carry a spear head. or knapp or carve your spear head/spear in the bush
    Strapping my knife to a pole is not an option I would choose. Carrying a spearhead is pretty far down on my list. Making one if needed would be my choice.
    C. Is this a choice you'd make for hunting or personal defense.
    No. Fishing maybe, but that is probably about it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i didn't stop to wonder whether people might even want to have a spear handy. i guess i just like spears so much it didn't occur to me.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

A pointy stick hardened in the fire would work as a spear for me. I'd never tie my knife to a stick and then throw my best survival tool.

Here's another option if you like spears. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...hawaiian+sling
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dross
    Now Spears used by native peoples aren't just hap-hazard pointy things, they're fairly well crafted and engineered to do the jobs that they did.
    Remember too that the spear or atlatl was generally all they had. I would imagine a well crafted stone point was more valuable to them than a high end rifle is to us. After all, it meant life or death to them. It could be the difference between being protected or being able to eat meat. Today, we have the luxury of being able to choose from a lot of tools to do the same job. My sidearm is far more efficient than a spear. However, the knowledge of how to make one is still just as important to me. After all, there might come a time when I don't have my sidearm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Anybody ever actually speared a fish with an improvised spear (i.e, not store bought)? My Dad has told me tales of spearing trout, but I have never done it myself. I bet it is much harder than it sounds.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Quote Originally Posted by preachtheWORD View Post
    Anybody ever actually speared a fish with an improvised spear (i.e, not store bought)? My Dad has told me tales of spearing trout, but I have never done it myself. I bet it is much harder than it sounds.
    Yes - sort of. With a homemade Hawaiian Sling.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default No experience just an oppinion.

Thanks Crash, I like it. Not much bamboo here though. There is enough willow around that could be used.

No experience just an oppinion.

As a defensive weapon the spear is only effective if you can keep your target in front of the point. It is used to keep a distance and do damage at a distance by thrusting. It doesn't matter if its long or short. Once your target falls between you and the point its blocking capability is limited by its length and your range of movement.

Obviously if you have learned how to use the spear as a defensive weapon it can be quite effective against some one with out a gun. Think Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. A Spear used by some one not trained IMO is a limited weapon against a human. All your opponent has to do is wait for a lunge block and move past your spear point. It is better then a stick or nothing.

Against an animal that may be a bit different. Animals don't have the ability to block a thrust with out exposing their chest.

Hunting, well what are you hunting? As a throwing weapon its relatively slow. It would be necessary to be at close range for it to be effective. lets say 10 feet (I'm guessing).

I like Crashes post, and rebels.

If you carry a spear head with you to attach to a branch or sapling that you still have to make fit the spear head, would making a point on the branch be that much longer to do?

Just thinking out loud. If you want a spear head and don't mind carrying it I say go for it.

Here is a pic of my spear Pike. I'm on the right file fourth back.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have a boar spear similar to this one without the cross piece. The only thing i've killed with it is hay bails.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Hay bails can be mighty tricky, however. My dad was crossing a hayfield in France when the haystacks opened fire. They each concealed machine guns. Sooooo, you might want to be careful the next time you stab one. They might stab back.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post

I have a boar spear similar to this one without the cross piece. The only thing i've killed with it is hay bails.
    Oooooh. You said bails.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

note to self...
    Haystacks opened fire
    They might stab back.

Got It
    Dang that was close.

Thanks Rick
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

If you carry a spear head with you to attach to a branch or sapling that you still have to make fit the spear head, would making a point on the branch be that much longer to do?
    again, i'm not speaking of the need for such a weapon, but i wanted to point out that a pole arm with a bladed point and a sharpened wooden shaft are not nearly the same critter. it's like comparing a field point to a broadhead, or a knife to a tent stake.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    again, i'm not speaking of the need for such a weapon, but i wanted to point out that a pole arm with a bladed point and a sharpened wooden shaft are not nearly the same critter. it's like comparing a field point to a broadhead, or a knife to a tent stake.
    I tend to agree. I use a modern harpoon for Halibut and could not imagine using a sharpened wooden stick. I think spears would be good for defensive weapon but I think spears when used for hunting were used with herding tactics the tribe would be involved with and the spear would protect them during the process and then be used for the kill when the beast was trapped.

We used to spear fish, frogs and such with cattails or crudely pointed sticks.

I think the natives that made fine stone points and such were well past survival mode and into living mode. Meaning they had plenty of food stored and had the time and luxury to devote resources to fashionin glonger lasting weapons. We think all natives used stone points and such cuz that's all that's left for the most part. If they were just using pointy sticks most of those have long since rotted away. Generally speaking, the stone and steel, etc. lasts thru time, wood don't.

If I were in a "survival situation" I'd just carve a pointy stick, bones, etc. and use that. It would work just about as good short term if you did it right. People only get fancy if they have the time do do so. Otherwise they just make due.

A pointy stick carved right could easily take a deer or other large game. It only has to work once and you can always make more.

First I'm loving the conversation. Thanks guys. Secondly. I think you can carve a great fish spear in the bush. No problem. For anything bigger (and I should have said this sooner i think) you'd need to use some sort of spear thrower like crash showed us. or an (not sure on the spelling) At-a-lat-le. but even then your probably not going to be bringing down a dear. but birds, and smaller game. Though why just not use a snare. I know that this kind of reneges on what I said before but if we can't learn and adapt, we don't survive. As for the wild animal thing. I believe that a big ole fire and a whole lot of pee can do wonders for you. as well as not storing your food at your camp. However if you're in a survival situation and are finding/hunting your food then there most likely won't be any leftovers.

if you can hit a bird with an atl-atl, you earn my respect.

I have some old circular saw blades that I have planned to make some knives out of. Unfortunately I will be able to get only 2 blanks per saw blade. That leaves quite a bit of wasted steel. I had thought of making some arrowheads out of the "waste", However I may try a small spear head as well. The main benefit I could think of in this situation is using it the way a spear was used in the movie "The Edge". Other than that, I really couldn't see much benefit from a spear. Maybe just attaching it to a walking staff as a personal defense weapon. You would have to get REALLY close to an animal for a spear to be effective, I would think. But if an animal is charging you,most of the penetrating force would be supplied by the animal. So for defense against an attacking animal would, I think, be the best use for a spear. Just my 2¢ worth.

If you can find some old scrap spade bits, they can easily be transformed into spear points that are easy to carry along. Looks like a new project for the list.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel