Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorcycles for survival vehicles

If i'm going to go with a Rokon I would opt for a 4 wheel ATV like the Honda fourtrax. do I can if it is street leagal? Nope! If the SHTF, who cares if it is street legal! plus it can carry a lot of stuff and haul a decent trailer.
    I know what hunts you.

IMHO
    Ran a Yamaha 175 enduro, Street legal dirt bike for about 13000 miles.
    Back a forth to work, fun and trail riding/humping a limited amount of gear.

Great machine, didn't really need a battery as it had a magneto, and kick start.
    Once you got it running the lights would dim when you slowed down, but ran well, anyway.
    Break and clutch lever were interchangeable, broke them a lot, but never stranded me even if the handle bars were bent.
    Good mileage about 85 mpg.

That said would I want one for a BOV?, no, for all the reasons stated above.
    Plus I have more than my self to worry about.

4 wheelers little better, but I still prefer a diesel powered truck.

Most guys bring up this up because they just want a motorcycle, nothing wrong with that, any reason is good enough for me.
    But remember when the DW says "Whatever! Do what ever you want" she means, NO.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Only use mine to play with. Fun to ride, not practical for much.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

You'd be surprised what you can carry on a bike with an army duffle bag and a few bungee cords....I use mine daily and people are shocked when I walk up to my bike with a cartload of groceries, then I pack it into my duffle and strap the case of beer on the back with bungees hoist the pack and ride home.

D.O.M.

1st Officer: "What the heck is that?"
    2nd Officer: "Looks like a duffel bag with a case of beer riding a bike."
    1st Officer: "Is that legal?"
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

mine's pretty practical. 55mgp freeway, light enough to lift one end at a time, low maintenance, capable of carrying two comfortably enough, and if i get the aftermarket rear suspension, capable of rough road travel without too much pain.

if i get the chance to make my own hard-bags, i plan to include a hidden 1 or 1.5gal reserve tank in the bottom of each. that's quite an extension of range.

it could tow a trailer, extending cargo capacity. overall, i like it.

since it's my only vehicle, it would be the logical choice anyway.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

When I lived in Hawaii I owned a Kawasaki KZ750 and didn't own a car. You do get some strange looks when you are on your way to your dive site for a day of scuba diving, or as you are moving your possessions into a storage locker prior to a deployment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Durtyoleman View Post
    You'd be surprised what you can carry on a bike with an army duffle bag and a few bungee cords....I use mine daily and people are shocked when I walk up to my bike with a cartload of groceries, then I pack it into my duffle and strap the case of beer on the back with bungees hoist the pack and ride home.

D.O.M.
    LOL, I can picture this.........like the 12 pack that somehow squirted out of the bungee, at about 50 mph.............Could have cried.....spraying cans everywhere..........quick, pop the top, and slam the remainder.......That really sucks on a lot of levels.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Only time I ever lost an 18 pack was when my gal was carrying it....knew I should have bungee'd it down. :-(
    D.O.M.