Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who's your clan? (or not)

I'm looking at a bug in situation-just me, the wife and the dog, we live in a semi rural small market town( population 1,500) in south west England.

Don't think I'll be bugging out. I've got an 11 week old in the house. Family is about 120 miles south of here. So, if we can't drive, we stay put. Otherwise, head to the MIL's house - rurally located. I'm of the mindset to help those if I can, but consider first my family's health and well-being.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

"Who's your clan? (or not)"
    I'm in the Owl clan. That's the patrol I was in in Woodbadge training in Scouts.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Had this discussion the other day with a mate in the US.

He is stocking up on ammunition, food, supplies and effectively turning his house into a fort, but only for him and his Mrs (no kids).
    I was talking to him and trying to advise him that surviving on your own no matter how well prepared over the long term is going to difficult at best, impossible at worst.

In my opinion the only way to survive long term is by a community effort.
    Maybe your skilled and experienced at most things, i'll guarantee that at some stage you'll come across something you need help with.

Even if you don't what happens if you the experienced and knowledgeable one takes ill or is injured or best case scenario gets old?

The only way to do it is have people around you that share a common goal and that you trust.
    That base will then grow, you'll have a blacksmith, a baker, a repair man, farmers, hunters etc etc exactly how communities have lived for thousands of years across the globe.

It doesn't matter what country, climate, language they speak/spoke communities occurred because they work.

So i think it's great to be prepared, build experience and knowledge but if the S really does HTF then long term it's only by pulling together that we as a race and species will survive and hopefully even flourish.

Cheers
    Mark