Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The best survival vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Good choice, and yeah, I know its a Jeep thing, but it way too clean, LOL

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Lots of Jeeps around here, as well, as the town is a Chrysler factory town.
    I'm just not sure I could drive that to the office. I'll bet it's expensive to feed whatever is under that hood too.

I'm with ya on the Bike idea 2D.
    I've been pricing out bike racks for our bikes, and may have to fabricate one of my own.
    We strap them on the back of the Jeep, Tie our kayaks on top, and we are loaded for just about any terrain.
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I've ridden all three in the swamp. My choice would be the quad.

Why do you think the bike would be better? Maybe, because you could get off and walk it?

Quads float and can be ridden across water. Can tote more gear than a bike.

http://www.triangleatv.com/Videos/GoinDeep-005.wmv

I didn't see the part about WMA before I posted this
    The WMA and the wildlife preserve don't allow anything but hiking or biking.

Also...what I didn't mention, is that both have dirt/sand roads that are covered with grass. (Maintained and mowed)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Yeah it's funny they don't allow quads on state land, and county land in a lot of places in Wisconsin, but the do allow 4 wheel drive trucks?

Of course if the was a SHTF I dought that the local who ever's would spend a lot of time chasing you down.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, down here they keep you out with locked guard rails. You have ramps to get your quad in the back of your truck. You strap em to the rail and give her gas. LOL

Some places where glades lawmen have no business you might find rocks being piled up on either side of these barricades.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver View Post

My Wife and I have driven places I'm not sure I would have walked through, and carried enough gear for extended camping.

Oh yeah, You can get replacement parts in darn near any junkyard.
    I had a Cherokee once and I really liked it. It is, however, too small for me now. My Xterra (which is somewhat larger) just barely manages to fit me and my family.

I'm afraid only a full-sized pickup is going to be able to suffice pretty soon. Right now I'm looking at perhaps a Chevy 1500 Silverado. Or maybe a Nissan Titan, I've had good luck with Nissan in the past...

I like my rigs to float. This was one of my favorite rides and weighed 1/3 what a stock VW weighed. It did not sink in mud that would bury my jeep. 14 inches was cut out of the middle making it manueverable enough to drive down narrow 4 wheeler trails. Street legal, amphibious and power to weight ratio made it fast. Might make a good rig for some of you. Not great in deep snow because it would sit on pan and wheels would not grip but better than any 4 wheel drive I ever had otherwise.

Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 03-08-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I like my rigs to float. This was one of my favorite rides and weighed 1/3 what a stock VW weighed. It did not sink in mud that would bury my jeep. 14 inches was cut out of the middle making it manueverable enough to drive down narrow 4 wheeler trails. Street legal, amphibious and power to weight ratio made it fast. Might make a good rig for some of you. Not great in deep snow because it would sit on pan and wheels would not grip but better than any 4 wheel drive I ever had otherwise.

I have always liked those! I've seen those little speed buggys do some very impressive things.
    Just not what I would picture in Alaska though. (Probably because I've never had the joy of being there)
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

will go farther then any vehicle made
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KimmyHead; 03-08-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KimmyHead View Post
    will go farther then any vehicle made
    On top of that, has a pretty high coolness factor.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They are a ton of fun too. The Knik river can get dozens of people riding around some weekends and it is common for several trucks to stop at river crossings waiting to somebody cross to see how deep it is. The bottom changses all the time. I used to look for deep spots and wait for the trucks to line up and then cross the deepest part. I loved watching them die as thier hoods sank in the river. Killer fun but for survival to leave the crowd behind you have to be able to get past obsticals they can't. My BOV will be taking way past that and when it can't go any further I pull out my climbing gear and keep going. The BOV will be my base camp.