Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The best survival vehicle

Default The best survival vehicle

Having spent many-a-night in my PT Cruiser, I've come to appreciate the value of having a car to live in. It's pretty safe to say that in a survival situation, the best asset to have is a running car. It shelters you from wind, produces heat, and holds more cargo. It lets you get in touch with others via radio, travel long distances, and can even give you exact global positioning. Wherever you are, either deep in the bush or in a zombified urban territory, a car can save your life. Makes you regret buying your geo metro doesn't it?

That said, unless you've got the money to shell out for something like this:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

you need to research different cars and how they would suit your needs in a survival situation. It should be practical, economical, reasonably-priced, and a sturdy vehicle. So screw the hybrid, I'm counting down the top five survival vehicles that will get your a$$ out alive.

5. 2010 Toyota Land Cruiser

I'm an American Car guy. However, something needs to be said about the Toyota Land Crusier and its place in american culture, regardless of Toyota's desire for their vehicles to accelerate uncontrollably. You can still see vintage 1970's Land Cruiser roaming the streets today which speaks to their superior engineering. The updated Land Cruiser is a survivalist's dream, priced however, well above a survivalist's salary. Starting 65k the only way the Land Cruiser will end up in your garage is at the cost of your child's college tuition. The plus? The Land Cruiser comes loaded with perks the others can't match.
    - Halogen Bulbs
    - Tow Hooks (incredibly handy)
    - Privacy glass (for hiding your cargo)

It is also the first of two cars on the list to have a V8. The Land Cruiser weighs in at 381 HP and 13/18 mpg, "Take that Hybrids!"

Best of all the Land Cruiser comes with an optional DVD entertainment system so you can make sure every survival action is Bear Gryllis approved.

4. Jeep Grand Cherokee

The Jeep Grand Cherokee will not only help you survive, but will get you laid in the process. It's as luxurious as it is spacious, both conducive to impressing ladies. It's back seat is big enough to put a mattress in, as well as hold other belongings.
    It's a V8 so it doesn't get great mileage (21 as a generous estimate,) but it can tow with the best of them WITH THE HEMI YOU GET WHEN YOU BUY THE CAR! This the main reason I chose the Cherokee as a top 5. A HEMI will mean more power and more heat which will keep you alive longer. Hands Down.

3. Pontiac Aztek

In 2001, Pontiac introduced a car which was arguably the ugliest car design created that was the Aztek. Aestetics aside, the large trunk is extremely conducive to long-term stays. A certified "aztek" tent can be attached (see picture) so you're not stuck sleeping on a hard car floor.

However, if you're on the move, the engine will get you where you need to go. It's equipped with a 3.4 liter v6, 185 hp with 210 lbs torque. It's no hemi, but it'll tow your mother-in-law in pinch.

The best part (thanks to its ugliness) if you're looking for a well-priced survival vehicle, you can pick up a used Aztek for cheap. A 2005 will run you between 2500 and 9000 depending on the condition. This makes it the lowest costing car on my list.

2. Subaru Outback

When you think of Australia what do you think of? If you said kangaroos, you're right. The outback is basically a vehicle version of a kangaroo. It's got plenty of living space With 170HP. You won't win any rally races, but you will get 27 mpg, which in a survival situation, could mean the difference between dying of thirst and having fresh drinking water.

Subaru's are also known for their superior suspension systems. So put your foot to the pedal and start rolling over logs, creeks, and dead bodies, it's all good.

While the outback doesn't the height of some other survival cars, so it's not for the claustrophobic, but it's by no means a piece of $hit Geo Metro like the one you're driving now.

1. Ford Ranger W/ cap

The Ford Ranger is the only pickup truck on my list. Pickups are only good for surviving in if you're in a warm, windless, rainless, and bugless terrain which is nonexistent. The Ranger is the exception. With a cap, this car will take you where you need to go cheaply, will carry everything you need, and costs much less than most other pickups on the road. While the Ranger isn't the most powerful or biggest pickup, it is a very reasonably priced vehicle that can be modified with a cap. With the option of a V4 and V6, the Ranger will get you up to 27 mpg with the V4. Not only does it have the mpgs, but you've got 37.4 cu. ft. of space in the back to haul your $hit! Best of all it starts off at around 17k, making it one of the most affordable pickups around.

So that's my top five survival cars. Thoughts? Opinions?

Well if I had to choose an SUV for survival I would pick a K-5 Chevy Blazer with a 6" lift, all terrain tires, winch, brush guard etc. Ideally I would like to have this...

But I already have the Jeep Cherokee so that will have to do. Actually on our way up here to Alaska we slept in the back for 2 nights. It really wasn't all that bad.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Where I'm going I need something amphibious.

They articulate to keep all the wheels on the ground all the time and don't have any differentials so the all the wheels turn all the time. One has propelor and the other I use a honda outboard to make better time in the water.

Geronimo - I guess this thread will be a bit like the "Best Survival Knife" thread. Everyone will have their opinion. I think you have some good choices listed. I think there are some I'd replace. However, don't discount the military vehicles like the Patria you have listed. You can pick up military surplus vehicles fairly cheap. Dueces, Unimogs, Pinzgauer or Steyr Puchs can all be picked up in the $4,000 to $12,000 or so range depending on condition. You can pick up M35s and Unimog, completely rebuilt, for less than $12,000 all day long.

The Ford F150/250/350 with SuperCab or SuperCrew Cab would be one I'd include in my list. Add a cap or camper on the back and you have a go anywhere (almost) vehicle with lot's of comfort, good reliability and a good bit of people and gear carrying capacity.

On the smaller side, the little RAV4 seems to get high marks as well.

AS - What are those and where did you get them? They are just, well, cute.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I mentioned this "Bobbed Duece" in a thread some time ago. Plans are now on hold due to my "egg, bread and milk debacle" (she holds a grudge).Big advantages, will run on almost anything combustable, is an almost "bullet proof" design mechanicaly. The bobbed version is typically available from 7 to 12k road ready!!!! And of course the unaltered one would be good also and it is available in the 3-5k Range. Of course, you can pay more or less depending on who you are dealing with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pal334; 03-05-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: complete a sentence
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

You spend 30 years providing, defending, teaching, nurturing, loving, befriending and all it takes is one little tiny milk, egg and bread debacle to screw it all up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You spend 30 years providing, defending, teaching, nurturing, loving, befriending and all it takes is one little tiny milk, egg and bread debacle to screw it all up.
    Mmm,, I am used to it, you should have heard what happened when I passed gass in church!!!!!!! THat was an ugly couple months. Sometimes I think that the ladies are the keepers of the zoo and we the guys are the inmates.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Cool Here's mine!

Or:

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Oh my God!!! Now that is funny. Who on earth would name a motor coach Terra Wind?

"Hey! Did you just Terra Wind?"
    "I sure did."
    "Well, I'm pretty upset about it."
    "Jealous?"
    "Yeah. That's a nice lookin' motor home."

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Mmm,, I am used to it, you should have heard what happened when I passed gass in church!!!!!!! THat was an ugly couple months. Sometimes I think that the ladies are the keepers of the zoo and we the guys are the inmates.
    Kind of gives new meaning to hang time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you fart in church you have to sit in your own pew. (I couldn't pass that up).

Banned

Now Thats what I;m Talkin about Sarge !

Banned

Rick -

Thanks for the info on military vehicles being so cheap. I wrote that mostly out of ignorance, but now I know.

My hope was that somebody looking to buy a new car who planned to live out of it or just wanted something he knew had the capacity to live out of comfortably would come to this site and maybe get some ideas on the kind of daily drivers might suit him. Something small enough you could drive to work and be discreet about the fact that you live in it, but also big enough to fit all of your cargo and still be comfortable in. I wasn't clear on that. My Apologies.

Don't get me wrong. a unimog would be kick ***, but taking that to work could get a little awkward.

Co-Worker "Hey, I think we're being raided by the U.S. Marines."
    Owner "Nah, that's my Unimog, I'm thinking of putting rims on it."
    Co-Worker "Nice?"

Sarge -
    An RV would be sweet. I would always see those at Spring Lake and get jealous. Although, I'd have to paint a guitar on the side so people would think I was a rock star.

AS - Are those military? They look like miniature versions of:

Blog Entries

I can't drive, and the most reliable peice of transport I can think of are my own two feet.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned

My son has a Subaru Outback. It seems like a really nice vehicle. I've driven it a time or two. It rides nice and handles well and the 4 wheel drive is a nice bonus.

As for me I LOVE my 1992 XJ. Other than a few more mods to it like a winch bumper, external spare tire carrier and a snorkel ( all of which are eventual additions) It's pretty well ready to go. The only real dislike is it's electronics ( engine wise) so in the event of an EMP...........
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

I found the little buggers.

http://www.drmaz.com/Amphibious%20Ve...us_vehicle.htm

Very similar to the .... are you ready for this? .... Coot.

http://www.cootworld.com/geninfo/whatis.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I found the little buggers.

http://www.drmaz.com/Amphibious%20Ve...us_vehicle.htm

Very similar to the .... are you ready for this? .... Coot.

http://www.cootworld.com/geninfo/whatis.html

You got it! They are Coots. The green one has a serial number of 275 meaning it was one of the first produced in 1964. Thats a long to last in Alaska. They are simple tough rigs that will out live me.