Thread: Julie's Paper so far...

Post Julie's Paper so far...

PART ONE: (Too long for one post)
    Being able to survive in the wilderness is the first thing that any species starts out with, and humans are the only ones that seem to have forgotten. However, we survive every day that we are alive, just in a different way. The wilderness is not something that is fabricated by a lack of civilization, but rather the opposite. Many people are dethatched from the Great Outdoors, but I want to re forge the primordial bond that seems to have all but vanished. To do so, I plan to train myself so that I can survive for a few days in the forest.
    The world is full of things that we claim we did not understand before the dawn of books and exploration, but if we were to be instinct-driven like many other animals, I think we'd find that we knew a lot about our surroundings all along. Sure, all of the luxuries of a world ruled by machines are nice, but I also believe that the world has just as much to offer.
    Unfortunately, primitive human instincts are so far gone that I cannot just go out in the woods and live like a wild animal. With the evolution of human intellect, we downgraded our senses because the brain needs so much energy. Without the knowledge needed to build tools and use them, I cannot possibly expect to do well in the wilderness, mankind just isn't born with fangs or claws or fur or any of that. I must learn how to compensate for my lack of physical prowess before I even consider roughing it in the woods.
    Enter Tim Birmingham, School Program Coordinator at the Vermont Youth Conservation Corps. Tim has studied the techniques employed by Tom Brown, a guru of survival. Tim has agreed to guide me towards my goal of surviving for several days in the wilderness of Vermont. Tim started me off with a book written by Tom Brown, and also a few assignments.
    The first and arguably the most important survival tool is a good attitude. Tim sent me this breifing: Read the first chapter of the Tom Brown Field Guide to Wilderness Survival. Awareness activity: Find a quiet spot in the woods that sticks out to you and sit still for an hour. Journal about what you saw, heard , felt. Why did you pick that spot?
    My first task was to simply sit in the woods and write down everything I saw, heard, felt, and experienced. I did this twice for one hour each time, and I was surprised by how easy I became attuned to one spot on a tree stump or a lichen-covered boulder. Being an avid photographer, I felt I was already fairly aware of what was going on around me. But how would I react to a less familiar area? Time would have to tell.
    The next attitude and awareness activity I did was one called "Fox Walking". Fox walking is pretty much what it sounds like: You walk like a fox. This means not dragging your feet, rolling the foot from the outer edge to the inner edge, looking forward, and remaining alert. Fox Walking instilled a sense of balance in me, as well as helping me to be aware of my surroundings.
    After I had learned to walk the walk, I had to adjust my vision. The next assignment was "Splatter Vision". Read page 168 in Tom Brown’s field guide on fox walking and practice the method until you are comfortable with it. Practice the fox walk with the splatter vision and focused hearing on the way to your spot, sit for an hour and journal about what you saw, heard and felt. What is different this time? Splatter vision isn't quite as fun as it sounds, though. What I had to do was try to unfocus my vision and concentrate on the big picture and my peripheral vision. By just avoiding singling out familiar objects and landmarks, one can detect things that they would otherwise be oblivious to. However, Splatter Vision can also be inhibiting; many times I have stumbled and tripped and even gotten lost because I was not paying attention to landmarks I could use later. These skills are practiced to heighten awareness, which is vital in any survival situation.
    I had no idea that these attitude skills would be tested like they were a few months ago. I was wandering in the woods, searching for sinews of dead trees to use as cordage and practicing Splatter Vision. I didn't think that this simple activity would turn into a full-fledged survival situation. This is an excerpt of something I wrote the day after I got terribly lost in the forest behind my house with my dogs:
    I actually got really REALLY lost in the woods for four hours with my dogs on Saturday... I was in tears by the time I got to civilization because I was worried about poor Nemo's joints! (He [My dog] had hip dysplasia and has arthritis) It was the most terrifying time of my life to watch Nemo struggle. He's OK though, bouncing around as usual.
    Wrigley [My other dog] looked at me when I got home like, "LET'S GO AGAIN!!!" The woman who saw me cutting through the cornfield behind her house said I looked, "Very distraught, then VERY relieved." I explained to her, covered in mud and tears and scratches, that I had been lost and followed a snowmobile trail out of the woods. Nemo and Wrigley were on a makeshift leash I'd made from the strap of my camera bag. So yeah, that was interesting, and I think it should count towards my Grad Challenge hours. Oh yeah, the next day my mom and dad bought me a GPS.
    "Tread lightly and carry a big stick."-Ben Franklin

PART TWO: (The other half)

The details? I found my way out by first following some ridiculous and ancient path Wrigley lead me to which was full of fallen logs, hills, pits, and most of all thorns. Once I got through that thorny hell, I wandered through this fairly flat (THANK GOD) area. I heard a vehicle in the distance and thought I saw one. After following where I thought the noise came from, I found a snowmobile trail. Trail = civilization, I thought; I was right!
    I ended up by this overpass thing that I recognized from the few times I went snowmobiling. Problem: tunnel was blocked by a gate, so I followed the fence which appeared to have no end, so I tied the dogs to it, climbed it, and started waving and yelling at the cars on the highway... It didn't work... So eventually, after becoming infuriated with this fence, I lashed out and cursed at it, but that didn't work. SO we crossed through the stream... AGAIN... And I ran into a little barbed wire (Once again, hooray for tetanus shots!) There was no way under or over this fence, at least not with my dogs... SO I only had one option: opening the gate that was chained to the tunnel, which was surprisingly easy, and trespassing into a corn field.
    By this point the dogs had ripped the "Leash" trying to get to me from the other side of the fence, so I just kept Wrigley on it since Nemo wasn't going to run off. I ended up in the backyard of the woman who owns "Pauket Full of Posies", where my mom buys flowers sometimes, and the woman saw me, offered me food (I was too freaked out to eat at that point) got my dogs water, and let me use her phone.
    My mom came and got me and I took the most refreshing shower EVER. My dad, it turns out, was in the woods looking for me for a while... He says I had a very good "Oh God, don't kill me!" face. So yeah, that was pretty stressful, but also something to be proud of. The dogs still want to wander in the woods with me! So yeah, long story! Not bad for 4 action-packed hours, though. So yeah, that's how that happened.
    Throughout that ordeal, I did the things I had to: I stayed fairly calm, focused, and confident in my abilities. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had let anything happen to my dogs, so it wasn't just myself I had to take care of. It's still difficult to talk about because it was so terrifying, but I survived it. Surviving is the essence of my project. I learned a lot about my own intuition and problem-solving skills.
    My Community Consultant, Tim, told me the worst part of any of his survival adventures was being lost. "It's very humbling, and it's a feeling unlike any other." He says, and I would have to agree. However, most survivalists agree that staying focused and level-headed is the single most important thing to do in a situation like that. Staying calm can mean life or death in serious situations because freaking out wastes energy and makes it all but impossible to think rationally.
    After getting myself mentally prepared, the rest should be much less emotionally taxing. After attitude comes shelter, and I have dedicated a lot of time to the teepee I built in the forest behind my house. I was watching "Man Vs. Wild" quite some time back and he built this lovely teepee out of branches and his belt. I couldn't use my belt because I needed it, but I did have a small bungee cord. That bungee cord, which held together the main tripod of small trees together, is the only part of the structure that is not from the woods.
    After countless hours, the three dead trees have become part of a thatch of branches. It has a small window, a door, enough room for me and both of my Labrador Retrievers, and the beginning of a rock wall. By wrapping thorny plants around the conical structure, I was able to sort of Velcro moss to the sides for insulation. So far, the teepee has survived the better part of two years, which brought heavy snow, 60mph winds, and unbelievable amounts of rain.
    A shelter not only protects against the elements, but it also provides a sense of safety and comfort. In making my own shelter, I made something purely my own. At the same time, my humble abode belongs to nature. There is more insulation to be added when the ground thaws. I plan to use a lot of the plentiful leaf litter to line the outside of the structure.
    In many cases, a roof overhead is not enough. If the weather is too cold or too dark, one should know how to make a fire. "The best experience? Making fire for the first time on my own with my own [Hand-made] kit." Birmingham told me. I am more than excited about this learning process. I will be creating my own bow drill kit from raw materials, and hopefully I with these tools make fire.
    When asked, most people will tell you that making fire can be frustrating, but in the end the feeling can be equated to Tom Hanks' reaction to his fire in "Castaway". Fortunately for me, I have plenty of time and patience to learn the art. Fire is vital to my project because I will need it for warmth, comfort, and even cooking food.
    This brings me to the last portion of my intended course of study: Food and water. Living in the wilderness is physically taxing, and requires a lot of energy. Tim told me this, "After being alone, which is absolutely the hardest part of being out there, number two is hunger." Tim hiked the Long Trail over the course of 23 days, packing lightly. He says that the hunger could drive someone nuts if nothing else had.
    Food and water I plan to provide myself with at my teepee because I want to ease myself into survival. However, I will practice making tools and harmless traps for catching small game, such as the "Bottle Trap". This setup is simple: dig a hole that bottle necks at the top so that a small animal like a mouse can't climb out, then balance a flat stone on two branches above the hole. This will make what seems to be an ideal hiding place for little animals, and they will be unharmed. If I catch anything, I plan to release it.
    Again, I will provide myself with adequate water. I still need to practice collecting water, so I will do so by making a solar still. A solar still consists of a hole dug in the earth, a bucket, plastic wrap or a tarp, and a few stones. The bucket is placed in the center of the hole, which is filled with moss and watery plants. The hole is covered by the tarp, with a rock weighing it down in the middle over the bucket, and rocks holding down the edges. As the sun heats the plants, water will evaporate up to the bottom of the tarp. This condensation will drip down the weighted tarp into the bucket, giving me water.
    Once I have all of the most important aspects of wilderness survival down, I will test my skills over a course of a few days. I have already learned so much about myself and my environment, but I know actually living in the forest will bring a vast amount of exploration. I am excited, nervous, and curious about what is to come, but mostly excited and curious.
    Even though books and TV programs can make this task seem like a romantic and calming experience, it's not for everyone. It really depends on the personality of the person involved. An anxious, pessimistic, impatient, and/or careless person has slim chances of coming out of the woods unscathed, if they come out at all. By keeping yourself busy, one of Tim's favorite things to do, you can keep yourself amused and focused.
    Hopefully I can continue to expand my knowledge of the natural world and of myself. This process has been amazing, and since I've gotten through a lot of the hardest parts, I hope the rest will be a lot of fun. I asked Tim if more people should learn how to rough it in the woods, and he replied very enthusiastically, "Yes. If it were up to me I'd teach everyone."

Very well done young lady! Written very well I think.

Mind if I "throw" something at you? From what I have tried and heard from others, I would NOT depend on a Solar still for water. It will not provide enough for your needs. It might help some, but nowhere near enough. Learn some other methods, AND water purification.

Four books I would recommend and have personally read.
    Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen
    Wilderness Living and Survival Skills by John & Geri McPherson
    Edible Wild Plants by Thomas S. Elias & Peter A. Dykeman
    Edible Wild Plants by Lee Allen Peterson (a Peterson Guide.)

I think you are doing well with what you have done thus far. Practice CLOSE to home. That is for safety. Bad things can, and do happen some times. I think you are to be commended for what you have done so far.

I would also suggest taking some first aid courses. I'm positive others will chime in with their suggestions. Please don't think anyone is getting down on you. Some can and do sometimes sound gruff without meaning to.

Main consideration is to do your training as safely as possible with all considerations that your parents give.

I think you are off to a good start, and already found out how fast a "hike" turns in to a "survivial" situation.

You are already ahead of a lot of people that show up here.
    Will be watching this thread, so keep us posted?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Agreeing with Poco here.

1st IS 1st aid! I can't stress that enough. Your teacher is right on about attitude as well! Here's a few more books too study:

1.) "98.6 Degrees: The Art Of Keeping Your A$$ Alive" by Cody Lundin. (see my Blog for a review of this book: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...blog.php?b=120.)

2.) "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King. A great book for the novice.

3.) "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakouer. They've made a pretty good movie about this but the book is better of course.

More later, enjoy!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for sharing your paper with us Julie.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Great Paper Julie, Thank you so much for sharing it with Us

Well written, Its great to read about someone who takes the approach to wilderness studies that you are. That is making the study of survival techniques something to develop and practice. We see to many folks wanting to experience survival in the wilderness as the activity in itself without the study.

I glad that you are journaling it will be a great tool to you and the writing reinforces your learning. From time to time if you wish, post a blog here on the forum. Your project can be your first entry.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Thanks, all! I have read Into the Wild as well as seen the movie and I liked them both. And for those of you concerened about my safety, I will be practicing about 1/4 mile from my house! If really needed, it's within earshot of my family. Cool beans!

Miss Julie,
    good paper, however please run it though spell check before you hand it in.
    I know what hunts you.

learning to survive

Default Good one.

In my childhood I liked to explore the woods behind my house. I also built a lot of different structures to stay over night in. so I like the paper it took me back to when I was a kid again.(not that I am very old) just sayin. very good job
    The anticipation of death is worse than death itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie362 View Post
    Thanks, all! I have read Into the Wild as well as seen the movie and I liked them both. And for those of you concerened about my safety, I will be practicing about 1/4 mile from my house! If really needed, it's within earshot of my family. Cool beans!
    Smart! Very Smart!

I don't believe you wrote it. Kids these days don't know how to use capital letters, or proper sentence structure. (its a joke, )

Great start. Keep up the good work.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Cool Haha

Haha, that's true! I can't stand that, so I type out everything, even if it's and instant message or a text. (Neither of which I write often...)