Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where Can I Find Flint/Chert?

Quote Originally Posted by Hntrofdmnds View Post
    How did you get the hides?
    The hides came from deer that were harvested and hides tanned.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hi, my name is Scott. I just registered and searched for chert. I live in Maine. Not much here but have found among the gravel of construction sites, near rivers. Maine indians used a form of quartzite,slate, rhyolite and some basalt. Not many old sedimentary rock with properties needed. You can find beds in other states from NY south NJ,MA, Kentucky is excellent place also Arkansas and TN . West from me-- NY,PA, OH to WA. found in river valleys with limestone. Flint found near chalk beds. I order online due to lack of knappable material. Kentucky flintworks is best, most reasonable online place to order a variety from the volcanics to any type or quality of chert/flint. Heat treated spalls are easier. I've looked into this a lot. Southern central states seem to have a wide choice. If you lookup where the "knap-ins" are or type in finding chert on youtube, you'll get some advice. Glass is easy to knap but getting the convexity out of the beer bottle bottom is hard for a beginner. Oh, you can find plate glass around old office or factories. It's easily shaped with glass cutter then sand edges and pressure flake for great practice...Hope this helps.
    Last edited by scqqter; 12-13-2015 at 01:21 AM. Reason: added stuff on

Flint is a dirty word around here. I have so much in my way cutting tires and sparking of my shovels and picks .they tell me this is know as buffalo river flint . Often dig up chunks 6" thick 10" or more long and 8" or more wide.

scqqter
    Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.

There is an intro section at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

fixit have you ever cooked any of it and how does it flake does it make for good knapping stone or no?

Back last year I gave a friend half a pickup load so he could teach his son to knap. He said I flakes good
    Last edited by Fixit; 12-13-2015 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Misspell worb

are you familar with novaculite much that is some very diverse stone.
    the cosmic novaculite is absolutely awsome.

i live in oregon and need some locations to look for some chert for knapping

Quote Originally Posted by flintknappingbeginner View Post
    i live in oregon and need some locations to look for some chert for knapping
    It's interesting that if you Google "chert for knapping Oregon"...It will list a few places selling it....and will also bring you right back to this thread...Started in 2010.
    So have you read this entire thread....?
    I don't think we have any knappers for Oregon arould lately....so most likely will not get too many leads.

Have you done a search for a "Knap-in" in your area?....Lot of knappers gather and swap information and knowledge.

I was thinking Oregon was Obsidian country .

Any locations to look for some chert or other good knapping material near the Bay Area or San Diego, California?

I would Google Chert in San Diego, California....will turn up some PFD's
    Good luck.

What is a PFD?

Quote Originally Posted by roobee View Post
    What is a PFD?
    Down load able file that I can't link to........

PDF]the distribution of piedra de lumbre "chert" - Society for California ...

Did you Google...." Chert in San Diego, California...."...?

Oh you mean PDF. Yeah, I googled it and found the file. It said I can find chert at Camp Pendleton. However, I can't enter Camp Pendleton unless a military/government/etc. person sponsors me and I don't know any who could do that.

Does this help?

http://archaeometry.missouri.edu/

I just buy it off the internet and at Indian Rondevous.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-18-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Was looking for locations more specific than states. Like an address, building, etc. I'll prob buy off the internet too, was just hoping to find a place I could collect it myself instead.

Quote Originally Posted by roobee View Post
    Was looking for locations more specific than states. Like an address, building, etc. I'll prob buy off the internet too, was just hoping to find a place I could collect it myself instead.
    You would have to be in the neighborhood to answer that.....
    Remember, even Native Americans depended on trade to procure their flint/chert/obsidian/and even "float" copper....for tools and weapons.
    Like today,.... many things are not found everywhere, so are found or made then traded... and valued as hard to get commodities' as we do.
    Wisconsin has a lot of glacier rock, so much of the state is a mixed bad.......but the Hixton (WI) Sugar Quartz was prized by many tribes and tools made for it is found all over North America.

http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-...phandlarge.htm

http://mvac.uwlax.edu/past-cultures/.../silver-mound/
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-19-2016 at 02:02 PM.