Thread: "Survival Camping" template.

Blog Entries

Cool "Survival Camping" template.

Okay guys, no more debating from the mean 'ole Sarge; just an idea that can be added to by the more experienced members here. 1st, just let me say that I've got nothing against people going camping & working on there survival skills, so let's just figure out how to keep it as safe as can be, ok?

1.) How many people in the group? _______.

2.) What are their ages & areas of experience & knowledge?
    a.)___________________________________________
    b.)___________________________________________
    (and so on.)

3.) Who in the group has received 1st aid training & CPR?

4.) Who has food knowledge; wild edibles, hunting, etc.?

5.) How many members need cross-training so that we are all knowledgeable in that area?

6.) What is the equipment list for each member, plus a "community equipment list" for the whole group?

7.) What kind of knives are we taking?

8.) How much food & water will we take initially?

9.) What's in the 1st aid kits?

10.) How do we signal for help if things go bad? Who knows where we are?

11.) What kind of clothing will we be wearing? How much more will we take for back-up?

12.) Does every member of the group carry a "10 Essentials" kit? If no, why not?

13.) Do we have a current TOPO map of the area & several compasses within the group along with the knowledge & skills to use them?

14.) Will we be using an open fire or a stove for our cooking? If a stove, what about fuel?

15.) Do we have the appropriate permissions, licenses, & so forth?

16.) Have we left information with people back home so they can call for help if we fail to show up at a designated time?

17.) Each person will require __________ of food calories per day, How will we provide that? We will also require a gallon of water per person per day. How can we be assured of a safe water supply to meet our needs?

18.) What will we take along for our shelter assuming we are not allowed to cut down live trees &/or branches?

19.) How will we know about bad weather coming in?

20.)Who will be qualified enough to train, test, & then release us on our own?

Many of you more experienced hands might want to add to this & many of you not-so-experienced ones might wish to copy it.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

One thing I would add is self rescue capability. This training is included in most outdoor activities here. It could be a long time before help gets to you and you should be able to provide most immediate help. It is most often related to a particular activity or terrain. Skiers and mountaineers have avalance equipment, on glaciers you need crevasse rescue equipment, kayakers need floatation devices, etc.

Well, a lot of that is what I have to answer before I take scouts out on an overnight. Probably half of that is what I have to provide to the district before they approve me. It is a pain in the butt, but I wouldn't go without it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Have more than one way to start a fire. And have a contingency plan for all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
    Have more than one way to start a fire.
    I have heard this mentioned often. What is reasoning behind it?

Are you asking him to see if he knows (new student and all) or are you asking for yourself? I refrained from answering in case you are testing him.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I have heard this mentioned often. What is reasoning behind it?
    I always like to have a back up plan. In my survival kit, I had a flint steel,steel wool, w/battery, waterproof matches in a waterproof container, a mag stick, and a couple lighters.
    I actually needed different things, because friday night as I was lighting my fire, the striker on the mag stick went flying off. I found it, but what if it had flown off into the deep snow? I wouldv'e been screwed. I also, carry some stuff in my pockets, in case I lose my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Are you asking him to see if he knows (new student and all) or are you asking for yourself? I refrained from answering in case you are testing him.
    Asking for myself. I never used flints or the ones you shave off or used steel wool. There are lots if ways to start fires I have no experience with. I was thinking it was something like having the right tool for the right job. It seems if it was just incase you loose or break your normal method you would just carry a spare of your favorite method. Like some matches in your pocket and some in your pack. There must be a reason people carry different methods of starting fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Asking for myself. I never used flints or the ones you shave off or used steel wool. There are lots if ways to start fires I have no experience with. I was thinking it was something like having the right tool for the right job. It seems if it was just incase you loose or break your normal method you would just carry a spare of your favorite method. Like some matches in your pocket and some in your pack. There must be a reason people carry different methods of starting fires.
    Well, I guess, the reason I carry different ways, is that it may just be that one of the others isn't working that day. Murpheys law and all,lol. Matches got wet, too windy for lighter, etc.