Thread: Yo, Deadly Tao...!

Blog Entries

Cool Yo, Deadly Tao...!

1st, read this thread:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ad.php?t=10936

Next, this one:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...read.php?t=378 (start with post #11 & read the whole thread.)

Now, quoting from your original post in the thread: "Camping vs. Survival:"

"We plan to drive 7 hours north to the Wilderness areas of northern Wisconsin. There we will spend 1 week trying to survive without anything but knives and the clothes on our back (and 50ft of rope for the whole group)."

Now look at what you wrote here:

"... Just to avoid an episode of "You're stupid!" or "You're going to die!"..."

Assuming that you're dead serious, I will NOT tell you that you're stupid.... However there's some questions that need answered that you need to think about:

1st, who owns the land you're going to do this on? Is it public or private? What are the regs on open fires? If it's private you can be arrested for trespassing. Why do you think it's okay to hunt on somebody else's land; you will need permission & it's usually not allowed on public land at all.

2nd, you talk about hunting rabbits for food, have you ever heard of "rabbit starvation?"

3rd, What are you going to do if you're clothing gets soaked? Wisconsin nights are cold even in the summer, I know because I've camped there when I was younger.

4th, what are you going to carry water in & what method will you use to purify it?

5th, what type of shelter will you make & what will you make it out of? Remember, if it's not a true survival situation cutting down growing trees is a no-no.

6th, look at what you wrote here: "... this may be more of a "living in the wild" rather than "staying alive for rescue in the wild" because I want to learn and eventually experience being part of nature..." your story has changed. You can't just go live in the Wilderness these days in the lower 49 states. However, connect with Sourdough & he'll advise you on land in Alaska.

7th, & this really concerns me; you wrote: "... besides your on-person first aid (it's assumed that you could have made this kit our of ripped clothing and shoelaces, so the kit is just there to preserve our clothing)..." What about medicines, snakebite treatment, etc.?

There's a lot more, but I won't go into all of that right now, look for my new thread coming your way soon!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Default And, Yo, Deadly Tao...! May I Add.......

That you better study this thread and the other 2 that Sarge linked to. Study hard, BECAUSE THERE'S GONNA' BE A QUIZ TOMORROW!

Got it?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

What is snake bite treatment that goes in a first aid kit?

Banned

They abolished the whole "cut and suck" thing, SOP now is to just remain calm and get Immediate help. I think ya pretty much need anti venom.

Yeah, you can mark the area infected at regular intervals. release any restricting clothing and if need be splint the limb.

But, the best thing is to remain calm and get to the hospital as quickly and safely as possible.

Venomous snake bite venom injection varies greatly. 25%-30% of the pit viper bites are completely dry. All other bites are some where in between. Half of coral snake bites are dry.

Banned

Yes, very true,,Dry strikes,, They do not like to waste venom on something thats too big to eat,, But on the flip side, If you get hit by a young Rattlesnake, you will most likely take all their venom as they cannot control how much is delivered, Hence "Baby Rattlers are more deadly" .

Yeah, but unless your running around barefoot (240 miles...) any boots will protect you from all North American snake bites.

I put snake bites way down on my list of worries. I keep how to avoid them in mind. I don't go reaching blindly.

Blog Entries

Reminds me of this joke. I can't post it here (I know I'd get banned ) but the punchline is, "You're gonna' die!"

I'm sure many of you have heard it before.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned

Unless you put you hand on one that is sunbathing on the rocks,, I did that once, was climbing on the rocks ,, I got lucky,, I think the snake was as surprised as I was, ( I am much more careful now) LOL We Have loads of Rattlesnakes around here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Reminds me of this joke. I can't post it here (I know I'd get banned ) but the punchline is, "You're gonna' die!"

Ahh Yes, Poor Lone Ranger

Blog Entries

Cool Weellll....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Actually I think I posted that somewhere in the "Joke of the Day" thread!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Yeah, you can mark the area infected at regular intervals. release any restricting clothing and if need be splint the limb.

But, the best thing is to remain calm and get to the hospital as quickly and safely as possible.

Venomous snake bite venom injection varies greatly. 25%-30% of the pit viper bites are completely dry. All other bites are some where in between. Half of coral snake bites are dry.
    Then there's "Murphy's law!" BTW, you need to remember that the kind of folks I'm referring this to are not planning on being close to anything. Shoot, DT posted that they were not going to take their 2-way radios. They need to be thinking about it anyway. Oh, and for the record, had a friend of mine get bit by a rattler out in Colorodo while camping. Bit him on his bic toe. He forgot to check his boots when he put them on in the morning. Some people seem to take their boots off before they go to bed for some reason.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post

Sound advice Sarge, set them pups staright.

In a book that I have, ( ill look up the name and author tomorrow its all packed away) about cowboy life from the 1900 to the 1960, there is a story about a Mexican cowboy that way bitten by a rattler, the story goes, that he made a tea drank it and slept for 3 days when he woke up he was fine.
    Now if that true I do not know, but the book is meant to be of true accounts and the way of life as a cowboy in that era. Anyone else ever hear of anything like that?

I did not know that the percentage was so high for dry bites and I also didn't know that there were a lot of vipers that did that, I knew the water moch and coral would dry bite . Thanks for that info.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"