Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How Surival Turns Deadly - It's Not a Game.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    so you equate my bull riding, cage fighting, bungee jumping, trialthalon training, bear den crawling,solo treking butt to bad diet and exercise? i fail to see the six degrees of seperation in this, care to enlighten me?
    I know what you're sayin' WE....I never feel more alive than when I'm driving a race car, right to the edge of out of control.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    There thinkers and there are memorizers. I would rather be with a thinker that knows nothing and can figure things out than someone that has been lead around by the nose and shown everything. I have found the most dangerous thing in the woods is the idiot you bring with you, and learned that applies when traveling alone too.
    Now ain't that just the truth, especially the alone part.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    How on earth did we get to YOU in all this, when you were talking about "people" in general?

I've nothing but admiration for the way you've chosen to lead your life--but you didn't talk about that. (or did you and I missed it?)
    you know me, i told you my bad qualities before, the egotistical part of me just assumed you was talking about me, cuz everone here knows how important i am, lol
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Originally Posted by wareagle69
    We live a society of fear, don't do this ,don't do that, no wonder nobody has any ambition, so much fear of dieing, no one wants to be reminded of how mortal we are, yet by pushing the limits we are truley alive. that is all i have to say on that
    WE

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    People are pushing the limits, just not the ones you had in mind. They eat crap, smoke, drink too much and abuse their bodies, gambling along the way that they'll be the ones to beat the odds.
    It's all the same thing WE, just choose your poison and admit it.
    When you said this, I took it to mean that you thought that what WE does/did was the same as that other stuff.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

That's true. He is impotent....important.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    you know me, i told you my bad qualities before, the egotistical part of me just assumed you was talking about me, cuz everone here knows how important i am, lol
    We can talk about you too, but I just don't have anything to criticize there.
    However, when we talk about people in general, and I am one of those, I feel like I have something to throw in for consideration.

You play the dice life rolls for you

All of us will rolls craps someday.

Id rather die out there, than cling to life in a home here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripwire View Post
    You play the dice life rolls for you

All of us will rolls craps someday.

Id rather die out there, than cling to life in a home here.
    Right on brother!

So...if I find you guys injured in the woods should I just walk on by and let you have your wish? Just askin'.....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Survival sometimes involves a rescue.

This incident is being discussed on two other forums I am member of. One is a wilderness canoeing forum, the other is a hunting and fishing forum. The perspective of those on each board is is so different. Some think he was a candidate for the Darwin Awards.

On one board somebody thought his arthritis may have contributed to is demise. :roll:

It has been confirmed Codes cause of death was hypothermia. -12C is not that cold but if he got wet that would be he end of him.

I think he was doing the right thing. Some talk about it, some do it. He did it and sadly not well. He paid for his errors with his life and for that my condolences go out to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by red lake View Post
    Survival sometimes involves a rescue.

This incident is being discussed on two other forums I am member of. One is a wilderness canoeing forum, the other is a hunting and fishing forum. The perspective of those on each board is is so different. Some think he was a candidate for the Darwin Awards.

On one board somebody thought his arthritis may have contributed to is demise. :roll:

It has been confirmed Codes cause of death was hypothermia. -12C is not that cold but if he got wet that would be he end of him.

I think he was doing the right thing. Some talk about it, some do it. He did it and sadly not well. He paid for his errors with his life and for that my condolences go out to his family.
    Well said.

I have to agree with you, bad things happen to good people all the time.
    Blaming it all on a TV show, is stupid.

People do stupid things all the time, and sometimes bad thing happen.
    Over the years I'm sure that lots of incidents have claimed countless lives, but we just didn't hear about it.
    I feel bad and also offer my condolences, to his family.

I did a lot of stupid stuff and thankfully have survived so far.

At least he didn't die of Game Boy over load, but out there, Doin' it.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-08-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1521585/

Very good follow-up article. The author mentions a few of you guys in the article. :-)

It also confirms he used Les Stroud's book as a reference. But it seems he took out of it want he wanted and ignored other parts.

Well, personally I think that instead of b*tching about various perspectives, people could maybe take some time to learn a few lessons from this unfortunate young man, especially given the details in the follow-up article.

He wasn't prepared, his clothes weren't near good enough and those conditions weren't really that extreme

Except for a couple of previous trips, all of his education came from books and tv (possibly from internet forums as well? we don't know). So, he took on a longer trip too soon

If anyone wishes to challenge my personal first hand experience in northern boreal forest/extreme winter conditions,please recall that years ago here I confessed that I'm really a 12 year old girl scout, so now I'm 14, whatever....

I always recommend that people go through lots of personal basic training in an environment where if it becomes life threatening, they can get home or to help with ease. Then go for the more extended trips.

If people really want to go out and test their personal limits and they're of legal age so they don't have to sneak out past Ma and Pa, go ahead, be my guest. If you wind up dead, well you found out what your limits are, didn't you?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

With the surge of survivalism and primitive skills, of course the media is going to jump on a self proclaimed expert who dies in the field. Remember, the media isn't about brining you the news but rather becoming popular.

Sorry to read about this gent. I do disagree with Les' comments about the training and believe he is just making them to cover his butt.

Many don't realize that it does not matter how good you are, one mistake can kill you. It can be a big mistake like walking between a momma grizz and her cubs, or it can be a little mistake like eating the wrong berry. Getting wet in November I consider a big mistake.

Hypothermia would really suck. You get soaked, to dry off means you need to take your clothes off to get them dry, dry yourself off, and try to get warm. If you don't have a wool blanket or something that will warm you when wet, you are sol. Even a wet wool blanket if it's really cold won't do the trick.

So where does that leave you?

Since I have a wife and kids, my outdoor trips are very limited. No over nighters anymore and no alone treks. It's just common sense.

I don't go looking for trouble in anything I do. I however always try to be prepared for it and hope my two angels are covering me.

I like WE's post. BUT!!! I only push the limits when "I" can afford to lose. There was a time that if I lost, it did not hurt anyone but myself.

It is what it is, survival. Sadly, this man failed this time.

Nice post Trax. I tried to give you some rep - but alas I gotta spread the love.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree crash, and gave some rep.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I think Trax and Frank both make some good points. Folks don't stop to realize that you have to beat Mother Nature every time. She only has to win once and it's game over. A simple lightening strike. A cold rain. A flash flood. A quick wind that unleashes a widow maker. She has a LOT of tricks up her sleeve.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think Trax and Frank both make some good points. Folks don't stop to realize that you have to beat Mother Nature every time. She only has to win once and it's game over. A simple lightening strike. A cold rain. A flash flood. A quick wind that unleashes a widow maker. She has a LOT of tricks up her sleeve.
    I still think the best wilderness survival skills are about learning to live with nature rather than in competition with nature. (And I think this is where brother WarEagle and I agree most wholeheartedly, I admire the work he does out there) Those are certainly still the threads I learn the most from, and the stuff I'm still learning to practice the most when my boots are in the field. But people tend to go running off out there with a general lack of respect (read "stupidity" IMHO) for what they're dealing with....and wind up dead.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

sad story.

Unfortuantly some fall for the extreme survival gimmick they show on tv.
    out machoing nature seldom works out.
    planning preparation and common sense is still the way to go.
    even tho the thought is thrilling at least in fantasy.

Personal experience usually jerks me back from fantasy land tho.
    but sometimes i fall for the temptation of thinking about it.
    (when i am warm and cozy in my bed just before i fall asleep)

I feel survival has become bogged down in theory many authors
    list page up and down of edibles and a thousand ways to to make every imaginable tool from nothing in the wilderness.
    instead of writing about common sense and safe guidelines.