Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Surival Turns Deadly - It's Not a Game.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I totally disagree at least from the standpoint of advice given to me.
    Let's look at it another way. Instead of the wilderness, let's use big cities. We wouldn't tell people who have never been in one, to go there and flaunt their cash, don't pay attention, and don't worry....nothing can happen to you. Right? Of course we wouldn't do that. We don't want to get someone hurt, or killed.

But on the other hand, do we keep posting news stories about people getting robbed, raped or murdered in big cities, and say 'see, you shouldn't go to a big cities, unless you are armed and have extensive commando training? Should we do that, so that people don't go to big cities and get hurt?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

excellent point 2d2k
    rick my point here is this guy got blasted by an "expereinced camper" according to one newspaper that says that no one should go out into the winter w/o a tent, that this guy obviously did not know what he was doing, i have not used a tent in years and find my shelters way warmer than a tent ever did, the folks that go primitive or practice bush craft get labled.
    As for the folks that come on here, yes i too tire of the whole year in the wild thing, but they get hit right off with sarcasm and being called a numpty so they are defensive, why not instead either not post or suggest if they have tried 3 days or 14 days and build from there not hijack the thread about being a numpty. Makes them defensive.
    I think too many here have forgotten the enthusiams of being new to the bush or wilds and haveing an idea set in their head, and being headstrong and rebllious.
    I think we have coddled too many kids these days, if i was told not to ride any bulls until properly trained or fought my first cage fight w/o the proper training, i would not be where i am today,mistakes are part of learning.
    A quote by the late lane frost probably the best bull rider ever
    "don't be afraid to go after your dreams, but don't be afraid to pay the price for those dreams"
    Last edited by wareagle69; 03-04-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

2D2K, WE,
    Well put.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Oh. An unbiased opinion. Gotcha'!
    Didn't say it was unbiased, just that it's only one that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Let's look at it another way. Instead of the wilderness, let's use big cities. We wouldn't tell people who have never been in one, to go there and flaunt their cash, don't pay attention, and don't worry....nothing can happen to you. Right? Of course we wouldn't do that. We don't want to get someone hurt, or killed.

But on the other hand, do we keep posting news stories about people getting robbed, raped or murdered in big cities, and say 'see, you shouldn't go to a big cities, unless you are armed and have extensive commando training? Should we do that, so that people don't go to big cities and get hurt?
    Not quite the same.
    You are exaggerating to prove your point.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Mistake going it alone. I have at least 55yrs practical experience in the outdoors and I wouldn't consider testing myself alone for days. I fail to see why I need to put my body in that situation unless it is necessary. It ain't practice it's as bad as the old "game" of putting your arms together and dropping a lit cigarette where they meet and the person that moves first loses. If the man was so good how come he made a fatal mistake? I wouldn't encourage anyone to jump off the roof to see if they bounce nor would I consider testing my body to see if it fails. If necessary do what you must but for survival, well it's not a game says it all.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

Didn't say it was unbiased, just that it's only one that counts.
    To who?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Mistake going it alone. I have at least 55yrs practical experience in the outdoors and I wouldn't consider testing myself alone for days. I fail to see why I need to put my body in that situation unless it is necessary. . If the man was so good how come he made a fatal .
    well thats a matter of opinion, evrything i do is a matter of testing myself, if i could go out for 3 months alone i would just to see what i am made of, ask any one,ask edmund hilliary why he climbed everest "because its there"
    There are thousnads of folks who head out on an adventure (thats why its called an adventure) every year and you never hear boo about it. why? cuz they lived.

I always told myself i would rather be killed by a bear or be sitting in my wheelchair when i am 50 rather than on the front porch when i am 80 saying "i wish i had", some folks can live with never testing themselves and some always will.
    As far as "if he was so good how come he made a mistake" well look at les stroud he got famous at filming his mistakes and many of them he could have been seriously injured or died long before the rescue team could have gotten to him.
    Live your dreams and life, just be raeady to sacrifce to get what you want

@ 2d and WE - I think your example of the city missed the mark a bit. If someone came on here and said I'm going to the city, find the worst area possible and walk down alley ways at night with cash hanging out of my pockets because I want the adventure would you say go ahead? Enjoy the adventure? My guess is not.

But when someone comes on here who obviously has no skills and no clue about the dangers in the wild it's okay to say go on and go? Enjoy yourself?

I don't think anyone has gone overboard in precautionary statements. At least I don't remember any. We've said go car camping first, practice in your back yard, take it and don't use it but at least have it, and similar type things. Everyone wants Johny to have a great time and we all want to foster the sense of adventure, answer the call. We just want Johny to come home at the end.

I see no difference in going to the bush with no skills and not understanding the danger and the character I posted about in the first paragraph. If you don't understand the dangers then there's a pretty good chance you're going to get hurt and, probably, endanger first responders/SAR in the process.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There thinkers and there are memorizers. I would rather be with a thinker that knows nothing and can figure things out than someone that has been lead around by the nose and shown everything. I have found the most dangerous thing in the woods is the idiot you bring with you, and learned that applies when traveling alone too.

That's it! From now on 2D and Ken stay home. You guys can't go with me anymore. See AS's post above!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's it! From now on 2D and Ken stay home. You guys can't go with me anymore. See AS's post above!
    Dang it, Uncle Rick....I'll be good.....I promise!
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

well after putting some thought into this here is what i came up with.
    I think what irks me is how the media and others have responded to this, this point came to me this morning as i was driving down the hiway to town for breaky, i saw a fella come out of the bush with his dog and hit the hiway, not a big pack but obviously making his way down the road.
    should i have stopped and told him some one died last week and he best go get a job and stop this foolish adventure he was on? how many times did richard go out in the bush and come back? i am watching a show about the west coast trail and the hardships faced on it.
    How many folks have been out this year in adverse conditions and lived to tell about it but yet one person dies and they call les stroud on location to tell him about it, if it was so dangerous more folks would be dieing but yet we rarely hear about it, and beleive me we would with the international membership here, we so many are quick to denounce him and his efforts.
    We live a society of fear, don't do this ,don't do that, no wonder nobody has any ambition, so much fear of dieing, no one wants to be reminded of how mortal we are, yet by pushing the limits we are truley alive. that is all i have to say on that
    WE

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    We live a society of fear, don't do this ,don't do that, no wonder nobody has any ambition, so much fear of dieing, no one wants to be reminded of how mortal we are, yet by pushing the limits we are truley alive. that is all i have to say on that
    WE
    People are pushing the limits, just not the ones you had in mind. They eat crap, smoke, drink too much and abuse their bodies, gambling along the way that they'll be the ones to beat the odds.
    It's all the same thing WE, just choose your poison and admit it.

You are exaggerating to prove your point.
    Weeeelllllll....yeah.
    I don't have the vocabulary to wow y'all with words, so I have to use the tools at my disposal. (You know...doin' the best ya can, with whatcha got.)

....besides, just because I'm exaggerating a bit, doesn't mean that the point isn't valid. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

People are pushing the limits, just not the ones you had in mind. They eat crap, smoke, drink too much and abuse their bodies, gambling along the way that they'll be the ones to beat the odds.
    How did you make the jump, from testing your limits, to poisoning yourself?
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

so you equate my bull riding, cage fighting, bungee jumping, trialthalon training, bear den crawling,solo treking butt to bad diet and exercise? i fail to see the six degrees of seperation in this, care to enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    How did you make the jump, from testing your limits, to poisoning yourself?
    How 'bout reading the quote verbatim from WE that I commented on?
    " Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    WE

In light of that, I think my comment makes perfect sense if you'd just think about it for 10 consecutive seconds.

How 'bout reading the quote verbatim from WE that I commented on?
    " Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    WE

In light of that, I think my comment makes perfect sense if you'd just think about it for 10 consecutive seconds.
    I've read it, and thought about longer than 10 seconds. I guess I'm just not as smart as you, 'cuz danged if I get the connection.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    so you equate my bull riding, cage fighting, bungee jumping, trialthalon training, bear den crawling,solo treking butt to bad diet and exercise? i fail to see the six degrees of seperation in this, care to enlighten me?
    How on earth did we get to YOU in all this, when you were talking about "people" in general?

I've nothing but admiration for the way you've chosen to lead your life--but you didn't talk about that. (or did you and I missed it?)