Page 109 of 117 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 2321

Thread: What are you cooking today and how?

Banned

Default Rabbit for lunch in wilderness, Fast and Easy, One pot meal.

Rabbit (cottontail) fast and easy. Shot with .22 revolver because it was friendly I did not need a rifle (his name was Thumper, friend of Bambi), then used a knife to cut its throat (sometimes they flop over in shock with a minor injury, poorly placed neck shot, then few minutes later run off, so I always run over put boot/knee on head and cut throat and hang to let bleed out, my personal preference for all game.)

Attachment 10777

I removed entrails and fur almost immediately (fur in hot Texas summer is useless, falls apart), these come out/off very easily when warm, cut fur around head and feet (or completely remove) and pull off fur, this is about as easy or easier than a catfish. Not necessary, but I cut up into hams, shoulders, inside and outside back-straps so it will cook faster and completely to reduce chance of muscle parasites. Also threw away/bury organs which have most parasites, but these are great for fishing or baiting traps, taste good but very important to cook very well. Flank and rib meet is also good but I had about 16 oz + bone which was more than I needed and no ice chest (I don’t like car camping much.)

Attachment 10778
    Lay meat out on wax/butcher paper to save on cleanup
    Attachment 10779
    Attachment 10780
    Cooked it looks about same but quinoa swells up some

Used meat tenderizer (has salt), garlic, and dried basil (there was not any rosemary or sage near me). Grilled (braised) on bottom of Dutch oven both sides to brown the meat and add flavor. Then added fresh, raw carrots (don’t need refrigeration), quinoa, 10 oz can of Ro-Tel, refilled with water (did not have Chicken broth, which would have been better). Slow cooked on medium heat for about an hour, with wood/coals on top and bottom. It was good, not overly gamey. Tastes much better than grocery store chicken. Time for a nap in hammock.

Instead of quinoa, I also like rice: brown, regular or instant, or sweet potato, Idaho, new potatoes, instant potatoes, many other root crops that do not require refrigeration (wild smilax), many different noodles fast or slow cooking. Many different types of tomatoes, tomatillo and chilly peppers canned, dried or fresh. I like mustard greens or spinach but these do not last long without an ice chest so better if you can find tips of greenbriar or something similar to add green (cover all the chakras). I am not big fan of cheese or dairy but many forms of powdered for that that do not required refrig. Many herbs and spices, I like dried onions, hot or mild peppers, pre-mix in small craft store Ziploc bags cut corner and sprinkle on meat etc., Knorr Pasta and Rice Sides have paper bags already mixed and ready to go just rip open dump in pot add water mix and cook, just add your wild game or meat you brought from grocery store. I rarely use Mountain House or Backpackers Pantry etc., unless camping in area were burn ban prevents me from using wood in my tiny wood stove, i.e. must carry in all my fuel.

BTW I keep small dutch oven stashed by hut/cabin on private ranch land so I don't need to carry it in every time but I can cook this just fine in an aluminum or Titanium 1 liter/quart pot as well but not as easy to slow cook without cast iron.
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-02-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: why cast iron, and how.

TMI in the first paragraph. Thumper, friend of Bambi? Really? How's that germane to the recipe...unless it's your idea of injecting some humor to cooking.
    I guess it DOES take all kinds...

Blog Entries

Now I'm working I have started batch baking to fill the freezer. Today I made Cinnamon rolls and from scratch veggie Pizzas.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Perfecting the recipe before the Jamboree?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Sadly, again owing to now having a job I won't be coming this year. However, just think of all the practice I shall have had for next.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

You will be missed young lady. Good luck with the new job.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Winnie we will miss you. I look forward to your perfection for next year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Thanks, both. This working lark really puts a crimp in a persons social life!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Winnie left two cakes in the bear proof container up there at Cumberland Gap. I found them after everyone was gone but the Natertot family.

Not wishing for anything to go to waste I sent one cake home with Nate and took the other, I believe it was apple, home with me.

I put that thing in the freezer and ate one piece a month for the next six months just to keep spreading the memory of how good it tasted!

Sorry you can not return Winnie, we need another good hurricane!

It keeps the excitement level up.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Im not sure what you would call it but meatballs,potatos,carrots, onions,red bell pepper,peas,green beans in a beef broth lightly seasoned and slowly cooking in my slow cooker,should be ready in a couple of hours....been slowly cooking about 6 hrs so far, ive been smelling it last few hours and its driving me crazy lol
    D

New York Strip, grilled on each side for three minutes until medium rare. Potatoes, baked in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Ceasar salad made up of cut up lettuce, croutons and cheese.

Now you know why I'm overweight.

My son-in-law was gifted a cooler of lobster tails and a nice marine cooler. I bought some NY Strips and grilled steak and lobster. My daughter made twice baked potatoes and made a baby greens salad. We grilled veggie kabobs with pineapple too along with grilled asparagus, portabella, red onion, zucchini, squash.

I have said on many occasions that the U.S. Postal Service is in need of a complete overhaul. This is but one more example of that. They have lost my invitation to this auspicious occasion and my duly elected representatives shall be notified. By the by, are you in need of an older son, nephew or favored uncle? I will volunteer for the vacancy and can travel if that helps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have said on many occasions that the U.S. Postal Service is in need of a complete overhaul. This is but one more example of that. They have lost my invitation to this auspicious occasion and my duly elected representatives shall be notified. By the by, are you in need of an older son, nephew or favored uncle? I will volunteer for the vacancy and can travel if that helps.
    To Florida?!? Man you must really be slipping.

Oh, dear. I believe this is correctly labeled a quandary.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    To Florida?!? Man you must really be slipping.
    Yeah, come on down Rick! LOL

Yeeeeeah......Pleeeeese?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My Slowcooked "Dry" stew. ( dry because I add no extra liquid)

Add in carmalized onions, peppers, small red potatoes (1/4'rd). Season and brown Beef (although pork and even chicken drumsticks work) and then add and mix in. leave on low and cook for 6+ hours, the longer you cook the more the meat falls apart, had one batch become a very thick meaty gravy like dish after about 12 hours.

You can add a can o' tomater sauce if you want, and sugar at the end. I have set and forget this recipe many a times just have to know your cooker as it can scorth near the top. I tend to mix every two hours or so if I'm home.

Had a week and change of those scary "we don't have much in the house, and how can we combine what we have into something edible?" meals. Now that we have ingredients, I'm making a proper meal. I've got chicken thighs that I just put in the slowcooker...I love my slowcooker. Largely for the way it cooks chicken thighs. I've got them in there with plenty of garlic, honey, sesame oil, ginger and onion powder, and a little vegetable stock. I'm making sweet potatoes to go with, and some oat bread, plus a green salad of some kind. Should make for a good feed.