Page 108 of 117 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2321

Thread: What are you cooking today and how?

North Carolina pull pork sauce
    1,cup, ketchup
    1,cup,brown sugar packed
    1/2,c, lemon juice
    3,tbs,butter
    1/4,c,minced onion
    1,tbs,hot pepper sauce
    1,tsp worcestershire sauce
    1 cup cider vinegar
    bring to a boil, simmer20-25min.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-21-2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: added the cider vinegar

oh i forgot the cup of cider vinegar

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That there recipe was conjured up by someone that never saw NC!!

The old folks in NC would never have ketchup in their sauce and most of them never heard of Worcestershire sauce!

What I made up is a clear to dark vinegar sauce with only a hint of brown sugar and a good kick of cayenne pepper.

You have to boil it to blend everything and then let it rest for 48 hours.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

it,s a good sauce none the less and even better with sorgum. but then that,s my personal opinion.

KY,
    I was sure shocked the first time I ordered some BarBQ when I was stationed at Damnneck. I had never heard of puttin' vinegar in the sauce. Or soaking the meat in the sauce before you cooked it for that matter. Live and learn, live and learn. Kind'a like the first time I eat "on the beach" in the Philippines, but that is a different story.

I add the cider vinegar in the recipe for you.

I must confess that I cheat horribly when it comes to BBQ sauce. I have yet to find anything I like better than Sweet Baby Rays.

i,ve done a mustard mop a mayo mop kansas city and memphis. it,s all one,s taste
    heck this could turn into the BBQ Wars.pulled pork or beef brisket, hmm i,ll go with the pulled pork thank you.

oh rick you mentioned sweet baby rays that,s so,side chicago iv,e eatin in a few places there cause i,ve live there.
    a lot of those lil, mom&pops joints turn out the best bbq you,ll find in the city they still slow cook the meat out back
    in the yard just to walk by and smell OH MY.

scalloped potatoes....I greased a pan, and layered it with 1/4 inch slices of potato, plus some diced onion, and thin slices of smoked arctic char. then I made a sauce....2 tablespoons butter, two of potato starch, because I can't use flour for this particular meal, milk and cheese. Poured half of it over the potatoes and such, and then I added another layer of potato and smoked arctic char, which I topped with the rest of the sauce. Baked it at 350 for an hour.

It's waiting for the rest of the meal to be ready now, I tried a bit and it was pretty good. If I do this again I might make more sauce, because I feel like it could benefit from that. Or just ask my sister for our granmother's recipe, which I don't think used cheese. It would work just as well with smoked trout or salmon, or probably thin sliced ham or lean bacon, if you like that sort of thing. I just used the char because I had a nice piece a buddy gave me as a thank you for letting him use our basement while he was in town for a while.

Made some walnut beer bread then went outside and started a fire using the bow drill. In my dutch oven I fried up some diced potatoes, onions and jalapenos. Added a can of chili beans and a can of chili and called it good. Too bad I'm the only one here to enjoy it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Just fried up some fresh caught trout.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RangerX that looks good!
    I still can't quite get to my smoker. Well I can get to it, but can't get the lower door open yet. Still iced in. The only grass I can see is the small patch over the septic tank cover. LOL.

Doing the Easter dinner today
    The bread is rising, still gotta boil the pumpkin for pie and thinking about peeling apples for the roast duck. Probably do carrots for a veg. Managed to score a bottle of Farnums Hard Cider last weekend. Hard to do this time of year.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

low key just throw a big bag of salt over the ice and let it set.

Nah, can't do that. Might kill the dandelions in my lawn. Spring forage.
    Next weekend it'll be freed up enough to use.
    Looking forward to a batch of ribs to burn it off on Saturday.
    Bought a cut up whole lamb last weekend (40-pounder on the hook) and have a couple boned pepper and garlic roasts waiting in the freezer too.
    Usually I can use my grill and smoker all winter but not with 8feet of snow in February alone.
    Had bought a new grill to replace the one that got smushed by the roof ice and have been entertaining the neighbors as they drive by, me out there cooking out in the driveway in the snow and sleet and rain the last couple weeks. LOL.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…

Easter dinner.
    Conventional yeast bread and some sourdough crackers from the sourdough pour-off. The starter is in the jar.
    Usually I do two loaves of rosemary sourdough on the weekends but it's an overnight ferment and I forgot to mix it up last night.
    image1.jpg

And roast duck with apple/raisin/cinnamon stuffing, carrots and pumpkin pudding (was gonna do pie but wimped out on the crust making.)
    image-2.jpg
    Last edited by LowKey; 04-05-2015 at 07:55 PM.

All the kids and grand-kids came over for a late breakfast. I made biscuits and sausage gravy, cheesy hash brown potatoes, scrambled eggs, little smokeys, and bacon. Then off to the mother-in-laws for ham, turkey and taco salad, potato casserole, deviled eggs, broccoli salad, 3 bean salad, string bean casserole and what not. Then to my daughter's for roast goat, ox tail stew, king crab and lobster.

We got home a half hour ago. I asked the wife what's for dinner. I'd have a plate of left over biscuits and sausage gravy. But, if your from the south you know you better off asking for some Easter bunny than left over biscuits and sausage gravy!

My dad and his wife are in town for a a few days, she has a conference. So I'm barbecuing! chicken breasts were on sale, so I got a big pack of those. Would have prefered thighs, but I buy whatever meat is cheapest and adapt my plans accordingly. I was going to use saucem but instead I'm doing a rub, ingredients still to be determined. I've made a sweet potato salad to go with

5 sweet potatoes, chopped and boiled
    1/3 cup or so mayo...use more for regular potatoes, I used sweet potatoes because....sweet potatoes. Also my stepmother has gone paleo, and for some reason sweet potatoes are okay, but regular potatoes aren;t. Mayo probably isn't either, but there isn't that much
    1 clove garlic, minced (I used a big one, because while I've heard the phrase "too much garlic", I don't fully comprehend it)
    1/2 tsp mustard powder
    2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 apple, chopped up.

it's got zip!

Also marinating some red pepper in a little balsamic, going to grill that too, and if I can actually convince myself to leave the house, there's a good brewery near here, and I've got an empty growler.

should be a good feed.

Now you're making me hungry.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

*looks innocent*

I went with a tagine spice blend that I've had kicking around for a while...a buddy of mine with expensive tastes left me his spice rack when he moved to scotland. Also a bottle of rye. I drank the rye, but I've still got a good selection of fancy spices.