Page 103 of 117 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2321

Thread: What are you cooking today and how?

Parking lot pizza in a pot.

2/3 cup of couscous
    1 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
    1 Tbsp diced dried bell peppers
    1 Tsp dried oregano
    1 Tsp dried basil
    1/4 Tsp dried garlic, powder or diced
    1 Tbsp olive oil (1 packet)
    4 oz shelf stable pre-sliced pepperoni slices
    2 oz mozzarella cheese

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I started maple curing some buckboard bacon today.

Also, put a head of cabbage in to ferment for sauerkraut and made the jalapeno Goya black beans and rice. Just replace the bell pepper in the recipe for fresh chopped jalapeno.

Amaizing fudes

Olathe Corn

Oh…my..…gawd

This time of year I sit down to an orgasmic feast of Olathe corn on the cob.

This corn, this sweet tricolor corn, comes from a bit west of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado.

It’s my entree.

Actually it’s my Japanese tea ceremony.

The Presenting of;

Enormous ceremonial platter of the polymer
    Knife of the butter
    Sweet tea of the carafe
    Butter of the bovine
    Salt of the clumsy girl with the umbrella
    Napkin of the middle drawer

Sit

Contemplate

Wait....

For the water of the tap to boil

Contemplate noise of the stomach

Wait

Contem-effing-plate

The preliminary wiping of the drool

The discussion of the ways of the Olathe festival (those bastards of the womb) while waiting

The presenting of the two ears
    (or the way of the tongs)…ears ceremoniously laid on the platter of the polymer with the tongs of the lower drawer by the submissive obedient woman of the children

The way of the butter

The rolling of the ears of the corn like the wringer of the washer until the mystery of the disappearance of the butter of the bovine occurs

The discussion of the way of more butter

The shaking of the shaker of salt ceremony follows

The way of the Royal typewriter is enacted

Considering of the way of the wolf arises when
    the biting of the own finger of the hand ritual is sometimes interjected into the ceremony of the grunt of the hog

The customary sacrament of the swollen lips and tongue of the mouth of the face begins from the TOO EFFING HOT!! observance, enhanced by the sudden inhale and involuntary lodging of the kernel of the corn in the esophagus of the throat ritual.

The burying of the tongue and lips of the mouth in the carafe of the tea formality ensues

Followed by the inevitable way of the buttered beard of the face

The laying on of the hands and smearing on of the butter of the bovine to the face of the laughing/pointing, now running/screaming woman of the children ritual commences

Culmination of the ceremony is the audible passage of the birth of the walrus, followed by the raising of the one leg demonstration of way of the duck.

Ending with the slumber of the warthog.
    Last edited by Gary O; 08-09-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: stoopidity

My recipe has always been very simple....I fry or stir fry what ever I eat with just butter and black pepper....no salt, no sugar no whatever...just plain butter and black pepper...its either chiken with buuetr and black pepper, beef with butter and black pepper..or fish with pepper and black pepper.,.so does my stir firen mixed vegies and eggs...hehehe...Of course I have them with rice or bread...
    I'm a Gramp who is not computer savvy, give me a slab and the rock ages tablet..I will do fine!

My sauerkraut is amazing. The best I have ever had.

The bacon could use someone who could slice thinner. I either end up with a very small thin slice or a wedge shaped thin slice, or a thick slice like a thin ham steak. so, I am buying a meat slicer. LOL

I just used my phone and the picks can't do justice. But, the sky was amazing when I finished the smoking. My orb weaver was just starting her web. She is a most beautiful spider.

I tried to get her in the video. But, it was too dark.

http://vid4.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps8daa9455.mp4

Here she is tonight. I know most won't care about a little 4 spotted orb weaver. This spider has accommodated the family since she moved in. LOL Actually we are probably a few generations in. The first one rode the ATV's out to big cypress. Then her off spring built a web nightly over the back patio. We evicted her and she built a web over the front gate. Now, she makes a web between the Live Oak and a palm.

Off topic - any thoughts on the newer electric flat top stoves?
    Last edited by sjj; 05-02-2015 at 05:11 AM.

We bought a flattop a couple of years back. I have no complaints.....it cooks my food, which is really what I look for in a stove, and is fairly easy to keep clean, which is a major bonus. Now, ours has three sizes of burners, two small ones in the back, plus one large one, and one truly enormous one, which is pretty good for a stock pot or a steamer, but serious overkill for saucepans, kettles and most skillets.

never buy appliances full price, there's always a sale on something somewhere.

My smoker is all confused today. On one side is a leg of lamb with lemon, garlic, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. And on the other is some squirell seasoned easy and roasting away.

Well, that is a well rounded smoker!

Glass top stoves or flat tops won't take the weight of a fully loaded pressure canner nor a hot water bath canner.
    Also, any type of speckleware or enamelware has a good chance of welding itself to the glass top. Enamel is glass. Stove top is glass.
    I use a wire spacer when I use my speckleware lobster pot. We have a regular coil electric stovetop in the back room where I do my canning. Just the stove top. No oven. I bought a propane tripod stove for the pressure canner and do that thing outside. Too long a boil in the hot weather. Sometimes do the lobsta out there too.

Today I made spaghetti sauce. It's been a really good year for Roma tomatoes. I only have 6 plants but have put up maybe 8 quarts of tomato sauce, plus some we just ate when it was done. Might get another couple quarts before frost. One more batch starting to ripen out there. I pre-peel and seed my tomatoes. I don't have a food mill. Dip em in boiling water for about 30 seconds, drop them in cold water and the skins slip right off. The trick with tomato sauce so it doesn't get all watery is to put maybe half a dozen tomatoes in the sauce pan and get them good and bubbly. Then add the rest a few scoops at a time and let them come to a simmer between additions. Works like a charm if you have the time. Threw in some chopped garden onions, some fresh basil, a few onion tops, chives, a squashed garlic clove and some cracked black pepper.

Between simmerings I was stripping corn kernels off the cobs for frozen sweet corn. Boiled them the night before when it was cooler and did them cold. About 2 dozen ears will give you about 6 pints. I have one of these things https://www.lehmans.com/p-4260-corn-stripper.aspx but I don't use their nail method - too messy. I use a really BIG stainless bowl, the one I use to salt 8 pounds of bread and butter pickles over ice and set the ear down into the bowl so all the kernels are caught. It's really fast, but the ears have to be pretty big. No skinny little noodly ones. I only do two dozen at a time. It gets old fast.
    Nothing better than sweet corn in the middle of winter!
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

We use mostly cast iron in the kitchen, so a flat top would not work for us.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just want to throw this out there...I've got an enameled dutch oven and a couple of cast iron skillets that I use on the flat top regularly. I don't want to know what would happen if I dropped them from a decent height, but they haven't caused any problems. They've gotten a lot sturdier since they first came out.

Thanks for the info folks.

The local Kroger had a nice soup bone for sale, it looked like it came from a porterhouse. I'm going to boil it in a pot to make broth, strain it to remove the undesirables and then use it to make soup with potatoes, carrots and onions.

The wife and I put on a pork tenderloin on the rotisserie and kept it glazed with the jalapeno pepper jelly we put up this year. We had fresh corn on the cob, homemade loaf bread, mashed potatoes and gravy opened a jar of this year’s chow chow. Then we sat down and made fools of ourselves, should have worn a bigger pair of pants to the table lol.
    We also like to do a simple caramel cream cheese pie.
    2 sticks of cream cheese
    1 can of condensed milk
    1 graham cracker pie crust.
    Boil condensed milk in can, in boiling water for about 2 hours. Then mix caramel from the cooked milk with the cream cheese. Add to pie crust and chill. It is so good.
    Awanita from the wild patato clan of the Tsalagi/Cherokee. "When the time comes, know how to only be seen when wanted to be seen".

One would assume you poked a hole in that condensed milk first.

"Um, honey, what's the lid doing stuck in the ceiling?"

todat for lunch thai peanut chicken, pork fried rice,eggrolls,tea.

Breakfast in a few hours will be pancakes, bacon, eggs, and grits. Then off to the construction site.

Blog Entries

Last night I cooked nothing, but went to the chippy instead......

Cod and Chips...oh yeah.

Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

what Winnie no mushy peas?
    any how for supper
    spicy sczhuan beef,rice
    eggrolls
    trpoical mixed friut.
    something simple.