Page 96 of 117 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2321

Thread: What are you cooking today and how?

I was gonna try a vegetarian diet but the dang vegetarians could outrun me.
    Got the crockpot loaded and red beans soakin' for my monday cajun day meal. Red beans and rice with red hot sausages and ham hocks.
    D.O.M.

Default Baked Cod

With a hat. Peas and mixed rice.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

"They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Blog Entries

The weather is truly pants today, wind, rain and truly baltic. So I made this weeks bread.
    I seem to be able to make a cracking wholemael loaf. My white loaves are not as grand.

Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Even though the weather was dreary, I'll bet the smell of fresh baked bread in the house brightened things up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We are going to try and make homemade bread for the first time this week! We got our made from scratch biscuits down so now we are moving on to bread. Tonight's dinner is homemade sloppy joes and oven fries. Yum!

Supper tonight was: Home raised rabbit rolled in flour and browned, then simmered in it's own gravy till done. New potatoes with butter and fresh rosemary spinkled over them and then baked in the oven. Also fresh picked patty pans and yellow squash dipped in egg (from our chickens) and rolled in flour then fried in oil. Lemonade with fresh sweet mint leaves added. Yeah. The lemonade was out sourced. A fresh baked loaf of beer bread would have made things complete.

Oldtrap
    Last edited by oldtrap59; 06-04-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrap59 View Post
    Supper tonight was: Home raised rabbit rolled in flour and browned, then simmered in it's own gravy till done. New potatoes with butter and fresh rosemary spinkled over them and then baked in the oven. Also fresh picked patty pans and yellow squash dipped in egg (from our chickens) and rolled in flour then fried in oil. Lemonade with fresh sweet mint leaves added. Yeah. The lemonade was out sourced. A fresh baked loaf of beer bread would have made things complete.

Oldtrap
    Showoff.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Very nice OldTrap! We are hoping to get some meat rabbits in the backyard in the very near future! Last night's dinner was homemade chicken potpie, which turned out really well for a first run, with a salad. Tonight's dinner is going to be chili from the crockpot and cornbread with jalapenos and cheese!

Blog Entries

Just had a little taste of Heaven. Cooked 2 packs of Ramen Noodles, drained them, added 2 TBS. of butter and 1 seasoning pack. Cubed a can of Spam into 1/4" pieces and fried 'em crispy in butter. Tossed the spam into the noodles and mixed it all up. Had a couple of warm tortillas on the side with a big glass of iced tea.

Sometimes the simple stuff is the best.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Steak, filet mignon, its been years (We rarely ever buy steak), sautéed jumbo shrimp and mushrooms.
    GOD FAVORS NO GROUP ONLY RELIGIONS DO THAT

Last weekend, we had some family over for grillin and swimming. Carne asada, mojo shrimp, citrus salad, taters, and guacamole on the menu.

The leftover carne asada went into enchiladas:

Man I love tomato season!

Yesterday, I splurged a little, and made biscuits and gravy:

And biscuits and honey.

And biscuits and jam.

Last night: Baked coconut shrimp with mango-habañero sauce

That hab is from the garden and HOO BOY is it HOT! I tried a lil piece this big, and my mouth was IN FLAMES

Blog Entries

I wanna' go live at grrlscout's house.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I had a fried bologna sandwich!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by grrlscout View Post

Yesterday, I splurged a little, and made biscuits and gravy:

And biscuits and honey.

And biscuits and jam.
    This maybe the single most depressing picture I have ever seen. Got enough biscuits and not enough sausage gravy to cover them all!

I am not sure I would have pulled through that one as well as you have. You are a strong woman. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by grrlscout View Post
    Last night: Baked coconut shrimp with mango-habañero sauce

That hab is from the garden and HOO BOY is it HOT! I tried a lil piece this big, and my mouth was IN FLAMES

We had an early start to mango season and after about 5 months we are just hitting peak season with several more months to go. So, south Florida is loaded with mangoes for free all you can eat. I think it would be safe to say that mangoes way out weigh citrus after the canker. You can see a tree from any point in any residential neighborhood.

Mango and hot pepper is awesome. I had a guat friend who told me about a dry pepper powder they put on their mango. It was not very spicy at all. But, it put me on a path to putting hot stuff with mango. Have you ever eaten green mango with salt?

I have a little crush on Grrlscout right now.

I am, as always, slow cooking pork.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    I have a little crush on Grrlscout right now.
    Don't even go there. I've already got dibs on the guest room. Five posts before this one. Read it and weep.

I wonder what time breakfast is.....
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I'm working on a new invention. It's a smoker with a chain driven rack. You can put a pork butt in one side and by the time it comes out the other side it's done. I don't care about automating the process I just want to keep feeding pork butts into the intake so I have an endless supply for pulled pork!

Hey, Winter, check this out. This should be pretty easy to make. Pulling the pork is always the hardest part for me.

http://www.porkpuller.com/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've got pulled pork down. It's brisket I can't master. And with the prices on brisket already this summer, not gonna be practicing too much.

The last couple of weekends have been disasterous experiments with wild-caught sourdough (not the Alaskan kind). I've got a good starter going, seems to be pretty bubbly and smells pretty good. It's just not sour. And doesn't seem to want to rise after forming the loaf. Ruined an old pizza pan. First loaf welded itself to that sucker and pulled the seasoning right off to the bare metal.
    This morning's sourdough waffles were pretty good. But still not noticeably sour.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant