Page 97 of 117 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2321

Thread: What are you cooking today and how?

I figured you guys would appreciate this. A picture I took on my last trip to the UK of a late 1800s gas rotisserie in a mansion.
    The chain drives on the spits are run by a fan set in the main chimney flue of the house. The chimney draft turns the fan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I figured you guys would appreciate this. A picture I took on my last trip to the UK of a late 1800s gas rotisserie in a mansion.
    The chain drives on the spits are run by a fan set in the main chimney flue of the house. The chimney draft turns the fan.
    Very cool.....and self regulating. The hotter the fire, the faster it turns, keeping the meat from burning! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

had no choice but to can the first round of rhubarb .... tedious but I like the stuff ...stewing it down takes bloody near forever ... canned another roung of cheese two weeks ago when mozzarella was on sale ....... garden is coming nicely so theres gonna be a pile o canning ti be done starting mid August ! Homesteading is fun but workload can get horrific lol ! dang .. the goats n pigs are wanting fed again !
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    We had an early start to mango season and after about 5 months we are just hitting peak season with several more months to go. So, south Florida is loaded with mangoes for free all you can eat. I think it would be safe to say that mangoes way out weigh citrus after the canker. You can see a tree from any point in any residential neighborhood.

Mango and hot pepper is awesome. I had a guat friend who told me about a dry pepper powder they put on their mango. It was not very spicy at all. But, it put me on a path to putting hot stuff with mango. Have you ever eaten green mango with salt?
    I have been trying to grow ataulfo mangos from seed for a while now. I got pretty far last time, but then I went on vacation, and they didn't get watered enough, and died. I have another batch of seeds (15 of them!) under the grow light.

They had TONS of HUGE trees where we went for vacation (Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras).

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I believe the seasoning you're referring to is Tajin. It's a salty-sour seasoning. Here, they sell it right next to the melon in the grocery store:

http://www.tajin.com/en-us/

It's a popular topping for mango, pineapple, watermelon, and cantaloupe. I don't care for the combo. I do like dried chile mangos though, and can an ungodly amount of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I wonder what time breakfast is.....
    You probably wouldn't care for my usual breakfast It's usually a smoothie (typically: vanilla yogurt, banana, chia seed, avocado, wild blueberries) or, if the blender is in the wash, a parfait of plain greek yogurt, chia seeds, wild blueberries, honey, granola, and nuts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grrlscout View Post
    You probably wouldn't care for my usual breakfast It's usually a smoothie (typically: vanilla yogurt, banana, chia seed, avocado, wild blueberries) or, if the blender is in the wash, a parfait of plain greek yogurt, chia seeds, wild blueberries, honey, granola, and nuts.
    Smoothies are wonderful for breakfast, and Chobani yogurt is my favorite! Never tried chia seeds, but everything else sounds just fine.

So, what time's breakfast?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Smoothies are wonderful for breakfast, and Chobani yogurt is my favorite! Never tried chia seeds, but everything else sounds just fine.

So, what time's breakfast?
    In about 5 minutes - I'm starving! Today is parfait day.

I usually like Fage, because it's just strained yogurt, with no thickeners added.

Chia seeds don't really taste like much of anything, but they are really good for you. Full of fiber, protein, and omega 3 fatty acids. At the beginning of the week, I put some in a jar, and top it off with juice or coconut milk or almond milk or whatever. When soaked, they soften up and make a sort of gel (I've used them to make a sort of tapioca pudding this way). Then I can pour off a couple TBs into my smoothies and parfaits every morning.

Oh and I almost forgot to post yesterday's dinner - fried tacos and corn on the cob.

The tacos are filled with seasoned ground chicken, guacamole, radishes, onions, cheese, and a dash of this awesome hot sauce I got in Honduras:

Not the jam - which by the way, is delish with cream cheese and WAY HOT.

Blog Entries

I may be a few minutes late.......
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I just discovered that Fage yogurt. That stuff is GOOD. Can even double as sour cream on a baked potato.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    I just discovered that Fage yogurt. That stuff is GOOD. Can even double as sour cream on a baked potato.
    Yep! I almost never buy sour cream anymore for that reason. Loosened up with a little lemon or lime juice and olive oil, and some salt and spices added, it also makes a nice marinade for chicken. Always juicy and tender.

Note to self........ Don't read Grrlscout post on this thread before evolving leftovers for dinner.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

"They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Can't go wrong with beer butt chicken!

Default Honest

There's a Brook filet on a warm bed, underneath that wonderful blanket, honest.

Yum!

There's a local restaurant that makes these wings that I LOVE. So I tried to make a healthier version. Theirs are battered and fried, but mine are baked. The sauce is a honey-Tabasco.

And this is corn and summer squash chowder, with smoked turkey; tomato and feta salad on the side:

A whole lotta Summer goin on there!

The first of this years stash. I'll be stuffin' quart jars in a couple of weeks.

We don't play

Attachment 9321

Mesquite chicken and pork loin

I finally did a "caveman" steak.
    Smooth out some screaming hot lump charcoal and throw the steak right on the coals.
    Yes....this is probably the way I'll do steaks, from now on.

I did two minutes per side, then decided they needed a little more, so I did one more minute per side. It came out medium/medium rare. (Just right, for me.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    I finally did a "caveman" steak.
    Smooth out some screaming hot lump charcoal and throw the steak right on the coals.
    Yes....this is probably the way I'll do steaks, from now on.

I did two minutes per side, then decided they needed a little more, so I did one more minute per side. It came out medium/medium rare. (Just right, for me.)
    That sounds GREAT!

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Went camping last weekend on the Clarion River in Pennsylvania; just a little dinner one night.

"Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com