Page 110 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 2321

Thread: What are you cooking today and how?

So tonight I made soup out of some soup bones I bought from the local butcher, potatoes, beans, cabbage, carrots, and onions. It was good, and easy to make in a hurry. For a side I baked some biscuits and made corn on the cob.

On Friday, I picked up a whole frozen chicken (on sale). Put into the other half's beer cooler. Yesterday, I started up the grill (the 1/2 barrel type) with mesquite wood. I then headed to the garden. Picked herbs, sunchokes and some small onions. Then went and rounded up the previously home harvested garlic and bigger onions and some bought carrots (mine bolted and turned woody FAST this year, but alas, we just planted more) and potatoes. Grabbed up the cast iron chicken fryer. STUFFED the chicken with the herbs (Rosemary, Thyme & Oregano), small onions and garlic and settled it into the dry fryer. Put in onions, carrots, potatoes & sunchokes and covered with an inverted cast iron skillet. Set into the grill and lowered the lid (fire was on one side, dinner on the other). Kept the grill between 300 & 400 F.

Tonight........ Chicken Enchilada Casserole out of left over chicken, to be cooked in the SOLAR oven should cloud cover leave.

Sunday? Chicken soup.

And the two of us will have a lot still left!

Sounds good,
    Best part of chicken ...or turkey.......Is the homemade soup with what's left.

Kinda wish some times DW would just skip the big meal....go straight to the soup.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Sounds good,
    Best part of chicken ...or turkey.......Is the homemade soup with what's left.

Kinda wish some times DW would just skip the big meal....go straight to the soup.
    Yes..... The soup can be yummy! Sadly, we are clouded over, no solar oven...... Instead, using home made charcoal to do dinner. Yes, I have means of cooking with propane and electric, but prefer to use and practice other ways!

Default tonite for me

supper tonite was lechon or(puerto rican roast pork. white rice and cuban black beans and salad.
    9-20-15

Grilled chicken on a toasted pita with lettuce and tomato.

Today I'm roasting a chicken... I just plain don't feel like dealing with my roasting pan, which I only have the one, and it's better suited for a big turkey dinner than a little roast chicken for the two of us, so I'm going to use a cast iron skillet and an aluminum foil tent, which makes for a pretty good chicken anyhow. I'm going to use a little amchur powder so it will be tender, haven't settled on seasonings yet, but I'm feeling like ginger, and maybe some turmeric just for the heck of it.

making some challah to go with, because why not, probably mashed potatoes, and some kind of vegetable side to be determined...maybe I'll just roast some carrots with the chicken.

Tonight is fresh collard greens with hog jowl,potatoes and cornmeal dumplings .

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I cooked a half ham last weekend and have been eating from that for the entire week.

Last night I threw the bone into the slow cooker with a pound of pintos, a big onion and a couple of garlic cloves. Had beans for Sunday dinner.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I cooked a half ham last weekend and have been eating from that for the entire week.

Last night I threw the bone into the slow cooker with a pound of pintos, a big onion and a couple of garlic cloves. Had beans for Sunday dinner.

Way to live!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have another big batch to do tomorrow night as well.
    Last edited by 1stimestar; 12-21-2015 at 03:15 AM.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Sometimes the whole "buy what's one sale" thing can work out to create something pretty cool. In our most recent trips to the grocery store, tinned salmon, avocados and sweet potatoes have all been on a good sale, and here I am on a sunday, with this avocado that was dirt cheap but wants eating up. So I'm throwing together a batch of my basic white bread.....it's a nice, plain downhome recipe, and after 22 years, I've got it pretty much down pat. (Fun fact, when I was 10 and we first moved north, store bought bread was prohibitively expensive, and unlike most people, my mother wasn't happy just eating bannock or buying a bread machine. She was however perfectly content to teach me how to bake, and then tell me that making our bread was my job.) When that's done, I'm going to crack open a tin of salmon, and mix it with some mashed avocado, which should work out kind of like mayo in a regular salmon salad, but more avocadoey, and a little pepper and lemon juice. Use that with my bread to make some sandwiches, served with a side of sweet potato homefries and a salad, and it ought to be a meal worth eating.

I just over-did it!

I woke late this morning and just finished breakfast after sitting and consuming half a pot of coffee.

I made a big omelet with diced potatoes, peppers and onions and two cheeses.

And there was bacon.

I think I covered all the major food groups for breakfast so I am good for the day.

Yet another episode of "TB loves his crock pot" today...it's cold, it's rainy, and it's either leftovers or bologna sandwiches for lunch at work tomorrow, so conditions are ripe a really substantial dinner. So I've got a whole bunch of chicken thighs in the crock pot with some broth, some grated onion, paprika and gravy powder, which should make for a nice thick stew kind of a situation. I've got some rustic white bread on the rise...the recipe is literally called that, it isn't my fault. To go with as well I got one of those odd purple cauliflowers off the "reduced for quick sale" shelf at the grocery store. it wants eating up before it either melts or discovers fire, so I'm roasting it, and I will quite probably make some mashed potatoes because apparently I love starch. Who knew?

A thread for what I'm cooking today? How funny. Just got finished with some cooking - my 'survival staple to last for about 2 weeks in one shot' batch.

Can't say what it's called though. I never try to make a certain dish or type of food, and I never use any recipe. I just cook. Pick things for vitamins and protein and carb, or whatever...and some herbs and spices and blah blah blah. And the next time, I'll do something different again. Every time is a half-experiment. I almost never make the same exact thing twice. (even the measurements below I had to guess at or figure out afterwards in order to post it here.)

Today was ground beef - 2.25 lbs. (93%/7%) probably should've gotten 90%/10-%.
    3 Red bell peppers diced, with the seeds.
    About 2 1/2 cups red cabbage 'diced'.
    28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (thought they was diced, didn't want crushed).
    Large macaroni (yuck) to soak up water (never drain (waste) anything) - 24 oz.
    About 30 soft corn tortillas, cut up into 1-inch squares.
    Garlic - the 'wet' keep in refrigerator kind - 1 tablespoon ? (all I had left)
    Dry pico de gallo mix - 2 tablespoons ?
    Black pepper - 1 tablespoon ?
    Some liquid hickory smoke - Wright's (actual, and only, smoke)

Mixed dry macaroni with tomatoes in sauce pan, put stove on very-low, and stirred occasionally.
    Knead together by hand beef, pico de gallo, black pepper, smoke, and garlic.
    Some sesame seed oil in baking pan, beef in pan, no cover, broil (top element) in oven on low until beef about 2/3 done.
    Red cabbage and red bell peppers on top of beef, cover with foil, set 370 degrees (now bottom element), timer for about 20 minutes.
    When done, empty beef into big mixing bowl(s), drain/separate all liquid and add to tomatoes (if I use macaroni I try to make them very under-done (too much macaroni versus the water) so after it sits in everything else when I'm done, it doesn't get mushy.)
    Corn tortilla pieces in same pan, broil on low, taking out and stirring every 5 or 10 minutes, until they get a very slight 'tan', but not crisp at all.
    Mix everything together in big mixing bowls, then put in smaller containers to go in fridge.
    For a primary daily meal in addition to anything else I'll occasionally have, scoop some out and heat in toaster oven uncovered (no, not a microwave). Yum.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 05-01-2016 at 07:20 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Steamed yellow squash and onions. Stir fried chicken and zucchini. Chocolate cookies.

Ribeye steaks on the grill.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So Mrs Badger, and I'm choosing to call her at the moment is on a liquid diet for the next six weeks. But I still have to eat....now, I'm generally the cook, so that isn't the problem. The challenge is not cooking anything that she likes, because I love her and I don't want her to be more upset than necessary. Hence today's dinner, which I am chooising to call the sandwich of the damned.

Creamed tuna and frozen peas on toast. Which is easy as hell (another challenge is that cooking for one is *really uninteresting*, and I don't want to devote much time to it), and surprisingly good. You just have to make a roux, yeah? Flour and butter in a sauce pan, mix them together over medium heat, add milk, whisk til thickened, toss in a can of flaked tuna and what I think was 3/4 of a cup of peas...which you should really pre cook in the microwave. pinch of mustard, little garlic powder, salt and pepper. let it cool a tetch before making your sandwich. Could have been improved with some green onions, but I didn't have any.

I cook for one every meal. It just means I eat leftovers a lot.

I had fried salmon cakes and lima beans tonight. I was not very inspired.

That is what I will have tomorrow night too.

I thought you had bannock.

One of my favorites is pinto beans and corn cakes. I make my corn cakes from 50/50 wheat flour and corn meal with a egg, water and a bit of baking powder. I mix it loose and make a corn flapjack in a frying pan. A little fresh chopped onion on the beans and I'm ready to go.
    Last edited by randyt; 12-04-2016 at 10:12 PM.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?