Thread: Pine cone syrup (mugolio)

Default Pine cone syrup (mugolio)

Made some pine cone syrup yesterday. It was on the fly and I didn’t do any measuring of ingredients. I picked 14 GREEN pine cones, washed them to remove any debris and snipped off the ends to make sure I removed any of the stems. Covered with water to a depth of 1/2 inch over the top of the cones. Bring to a boil, and then simmered for about an hour. Strained to remove the cones and any other small bits, add sugar of your choice. I used what was left of light brown sugar and some added white sugar. Then reduce to a consistency of your liking. Mine was a little bit thinner than what I would normally use, but I ended up with about 20 ounces of syrup.

It is surprisingly very fruity with an astringent aftertaste. We like it but still prefer “normal” syrup. My oldest boy was rubbing his fingers in the pot to get every last bit he could. My dad really enjoyed it and he doesn’t use syrup. He said he only tasted the fruity-ness without an aftertaste. I may use it more-so for just the novelty. I prefer “sugar-free” syrup since it’s not as sweet as others.

I have another jar of the syrup fermenting which takes around 30 days to make. It should be ready for processing on July 9th. It is just places the cones in a jar with sugar and letting it draw the water out.

If you were to buy it on Amazon, it would cost around $6.50 per ounce. And each different species of cone should present a different flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I have never heard of that. Interesting. I suspect the after taste is the turpine in the cones. Another learning day, gotta love that. Thanks!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, at least pine needle tea was good.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have never heard of that. Interesting. I suspect the after taste is the turpine in the cones. Another learning day, gotta love that. Thanks!
    I have heard of it.

You pour the syrup over your Grape Nut Flakes and have breakfast with Euell Gibbons.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Poor Euell. If ever a fellah was misunderstood, it was Euell. "Ever eat a pine tree?" may be right up there with "where's the beef?"
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think I'll stick with my Burnt Motor Oil Brownies....

Alan

It's great that you are doing these activities with your kids. I'm sure it will be a lifetime of memories.

On another note...........add enough sugar and you can make anything palatable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You guys are ahful, just ahful. Awful even. I like pine needle tee. You would just be boiling the resin out of the cones no different than boiling the resin out of the needles. The only difference would be the amount of resin I would guess. But, yeah, that sugar would help.

Why are you fermenting some of it? What will you make with that?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Why are you fermenting some of it? What will you make with that?
    It’s just the natural process with it sitting in the sugar. Every so often I have to go burp the jar. It will hopefully be the same product
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    It’s just the natural process with it sitting in the sugar. Every so often I have to go burp the jar. It will hopefully be the same product
    I was hoping for whiskey.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

It sounds like that will make wine?

Whiskey sounds better.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Interesting. We have some pine cone here at Brazil, but I never heard of a recipe like that. Maybe I'll try it, even if it's just for the fun of it. After all, it can't taste bad if i dump a ton of sugar on it, rigth?
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Like I mentioned earlier, I’m not a huge syrup eater. This was more so for fun. I’ll find something interesting and do it it for a bit and then move on to the next little hobby to try.
    ~Rocky Balboa