Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let's Design a Backpack

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    The versatility of my system would take a lot of pictures and description to convey its capability but if you'd like I show you what you discribe looks like.
    I'm here to learn!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    Most of that stuff; but it has to fit my bride. .......... Yeah, she ain't here!!!!!
    OUCH!!! She's baaaaccckkkk!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I'm here to learn!
    I've mentioned before I value thinking over knowledge and you Sir have thought this through. It took me a lot of trail and error to come to the same conclusions. I'm impressed! I'll get started, you will probably "think" of things I have not tried yet.

Blog Entries

Another thought I've had is frame pack vs. frameless and internal frame vs. external frame.

I've always been partial to internal frame packs, but..............thinking "out of the box," what about a combination internal and external frame? Unsnap a cover flap, and the frame "telescopes" out (up or down) to accomodate more modules or gear.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Another thought I've had is frame pack vs. frameless and internal frame vs. external frame.

I've always been partial to internal frame packs, but..............thinking "out of the box," what about a combination internal and external frame? Unsnap a cover flap, and the frame "telescopes" out (up or down) to accomodate more modules or gear.
    Damn, it's like you know everything I have done! I'll show you that too.

Make sure the rain fly is stored on the bottom. I would also make it with detachable so you clean it or use it for other reasons. Heck, if it was truly 100% waterproof and you could turn it into a makeshift sink or anything else.

*NOTE* I have not read the entire thread, but I did see you mentioned a rainfly and just wanted to give a little input.

Oh, and have a top lid with straps. That way you can put stuff in between the lid and pack and then cinch the straps down tight and hold your gear. This will help in case you need to overload you pack.

Also, make the top lid detachable so you can wear it as a waist and/or shoulder pack if you needed to ditch your bag.

An inflatable flotation device. Like the fishing life vests.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

You're either a mind-reader or you read Post #49:

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    ...last year, at the Cornerstone Fest, my son & I were talking about a certain type of backpack! One idea was a completely water-proof Back-pack.

If I were designing one it would have to be something like "one size fits all." Starting out with the fabric, it should be, IMO, a heavy-duty fabric with a Gore-Tex outer layer to keep the contents dry.

It should also have both an external & internal frame so it can be adjusted for on or off trail.

Very sturdy waist, sternum, & shoulder straps that are made wide enough as well as strong enough should also be a consideration.

As far as size goes, you have "Day-packs," "medium-load packs," & "full-size packs" like the big job that I sent to OG. IMO, you have to be able to change the dimensions of the pack without adding "MOLLE-type" pouches, as they could throw off the balance of the pack. Strong zippers are a consideration, but in the field they can break.

Also, some people like a deep-bag type pack; while others like compartments on their pack. I see the best of both worlds, with a deep bag that has pouches sewn to the outside.

I also like the idea of the pouches having labels impregnated into the material, like a "red-cross" to designate the 1st aid compartment, for example. The same type of thing for your cooking kit, water filter, etc..

The outside of the pack straps the waist belt, and the top section of the pack itself should have a sheath for your knife, a compass compartment, a flashlight or head-lamp compartment, and a place for a water bottle that keeps it secure so that it's not banging around.

I left off the hydration bladder as those things add a lot of weight to the pack when they're full; not everybody could handle that. Just my "buck-two-fifty!"
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

That would be EXTREMELY heavy. If it telescoped down to a day pack, you would still be carrying the extra few pounds of a week pack.

Ken, this is turning out to be harder to write up than I thought. My first effort was way too long and didn't even make sense to me when I read it. My writing skills just aren't up to the task. Sorry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    You're either a mind-reader or you read Post #49:
    Missed that one Sarge. Sorry.

Good think I just took you off my "Ignore List," huh?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I've got a spec to add. It's small but since we're going for perfect here:

The insides of all of the pockets need to be high contrast so that everything is easily spotted and grabbed.

This picture illustrates what I mean: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wmode/4...7622778861126/

Doesn't have to be lime green, haha, but you get the point.
    SurvivalCache.com - The Gear Site for Survivalists - Gear Reviews, Prep Ideas, and More

Blog Entries

I've sketched out a design using "paint" but can't get the size small enough to attach it here. So I'll begin with a crude description of my basic design concept.

The back (front) of the pack itself would consist of rows of deep zippered "soft box" pockets of various sizes, from 1 to 4 in a row. These pockets would be designed to hold most of the "hardware" we carry, from light stoves and tools to water filters, food, and first aid kits. Everything would have quick access. Each side of this section would have a long gear pocket, a rifle scabbard on one side and a universal deep pocket on the other side for items such as trekking poles, etc. An "expandable" pocket above would fit a small tent in a stuff sack.

In front of that section would be a large expandable center pocket, primarily for extra clothing. This pocket could zip closed or cinch tightly if not used.

And in front of that, closest to the body, would be two pockets - hydration bladder on top (top zipper) and sleeping bag pocket below (side zipper). A sleeve would accomodate a multi-use foam pad between the hydration section and the users back for additional cushioning.

Additional "lash points" could be affixed on the sides of the pack. The front straps and waist belt would have several pockets for small items.

A small pocket fitted above and between the hydration pocket and the clothes pocket would hold a waterproof cover that could be deployed as necessary.

More specifics to come.

Please - suggestions and positive and negative comments are welcome!
    Last edited by Ken; 04-20-2010 at 09:04 PM.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Please ........ negative comments are welcome!
    Are you sure negative comments are welcome?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I know this is an old thread. But I liked it and wanted to put in my 2 cents.

My idea of a perfect back pack.
    • Have a removable day pack with shoulder straps and maybe a belt.
    • Be covered with M.O.L.L.E.
    • Have a waist belt with M.O.L.L.E.
    • Be able to hold a 3L hydration bladder.
    • Outside of pack be made of Gore-Tex.
    • Have a sleeping bag compartment.
    • Have top and front loading access.
    • Quick release buckles.
    • Camouflage rains cover that stores in a zippered pocket on the bottom of the pack.
    • Has M.O.L.L.E on the shoulder straps to attach pouches or scabbard.
    • Be an internal frame.
    • Have a thick padded belt and wide shoulder straps.
    • Be in the neighborhood of 70L+ pack.