Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pine tree uses....

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yeah, but if you cut or split the orange, resin soaked, lighter into 1/2" X 1/2" strips that are maybe 4" or 5" long, you will have some great fire starting tinder. Shave it - hit it with a spark - viola - fire.
    Exactly what I plan to do! and have enough to give away to friends light many campfires and fireplaces!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Woo Hoo! Fire.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The fat wood, or lighter pine I have found, in the nort'woods is stumps that have been left to have most of the "wood" part rotted off.
    Those trees were harvested 100 years ago.
    Mostly the only thing left was the wood that was really saturated, call'un "Pine knots".

These things will burn so hot that they can burn out the bottom of a 55 gal drum stove, don't ask me how I know this.

The lighter pine I picked up in Louisiana, out of a yellow pine plantation, was laying on the ground, in some cases partially burned, and in others just had most of the wood rotted off.
    I would guess that making lighter pine out of you pine would be a long process.
    I do believe that if you dry it out, split it really thin, would still work a good kindling.

Some pine was heated in a up side down drum by a fire around it, to "boil" out the tar, to make turpentine. Kinda like rendering?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well i learned something new today , Thank you.
    Now I know what fat wood is.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Here is what you are looking for and what look for. You can find it for sale I do not know how they make it I found this box of fat wood on line !They make some how? There is something at E HOW how make fat wood Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GI JOE; 03-20-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Currahee

Im surprised that some folks dont know of its existence, especially outdoor folk. Maybe its a regional thing. I dont see your pine logs ever turning to fatwood though, the old beams you described were already fat when they were installed. The turpentine isnt the favorite flavor of termites. Many a old timers fence posts are knotty pine to aid in preservation. You could have lots of outdoor fires and maybe make a totempole like Kawliga.

Poor ole kawliga...

Fatwood happens like this, a tree falls over in a storm or is cut down by logging. The base of the tree is still alive and keeps pumping resin into the tree. The resin has nowhere to go, so it soaks and sits into the stump. The tree dies and the resin soaked wood is hardened and preserved from rot. Look for coniferous tree stumps. Kick at them, if they kick back at you then hack away. Try and separate the rotted stuff from the colored hard stuff
    Last edited by justin_baker; 04-11-2010 at 03:52 AM.

The pine has to be long leaf pine for it to become fat lighter simply because a long leaf grows slower than other trees The term heart pine comes from fat lighter because it comes from the inside of a long leaf tree or the heart. the wood in high in resin which termites dont like but longleaf trees that are cut down can still become fat lighter because it is already there when the tree gets older all you have to do is wait for the outer not resin filled parts to rot away
    All good things are wild and free
    -Henry David Thoreau

Learn from the old and the wise

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I found this and thought it was interesting.

Pine Resin for Wilderness First-Aid
    Fresh pine resin is an often overlooked resource that has many uses in the wilderness. One of these uses is to quickly seal wounds and stop bleeding.
    http://www.bugoutsurvival.com/2010/0...-Out+Survival)

That's kind of funny actually. The guy was in his shop, cut himself and had to go to the woods to get something to stop the bleeding. AND HE'S A SURVIVALIST? How about a first aid kit, a rag or a bandana? Okay, I get his point. Pine sap works, too, I guess. I just thought it was funny.

And in other news.....

"Med 1 to ER".
    "Go Ahead."
    "Inbound with a laceration to the left forearm."
    "10-4. Can you stop and pick up some pine sap?"
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.