Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water in the winter

Default ...........

Last edited by cyc79; 06-08-2021 at 11:33 PM.

Since you are more than likely heating your house, have you thought about just melting snow in a pot? I'm sure there will be lots of it close by around the house.
    I know what hunts you.

Last edited by cyc79; 06-08-2021 at 11:31 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cyc79 View Post
    No shortage of snow but melting it is fairly time consuming for the small amount of water you get from it.It's also quite dirty at times with spruce/pine needles,bugs etc. Nor does it taste anywhere as good as fresh water.

It is strange how melted snow does NOT taste like water. Even melted pure, fresh, clean snow tastes strange.

My water comes from a creek that has a lot of fall. I use an old Axe to gain access.

For people who do not own water jugs, or need to buy more. the wide mouth jugs are easier to get water into and out of, there is a world of difference in the opening that is 1 1/2" wide vs. 2" wide. It also pours better as there is no airlock problem.

An old powersaw with the chain oil drained works good to.

Probably becuase it lacks oxygen and minerals. Tastes flat!

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    It is strange how melted snow does NOT taste like water. Even melted pure, fresh, clean snow tastes strange.

My water comes from a creek that has a lot of fall. I use an old Axe to gain access.

For people who do not own water jugs, or need to buy more. the wide mouth jugs are easier to get water into and out of, there is a world of difference in the opening that is 1 1/2" wide vs. 2" wide. It also pours better as there is no airlock problem.
    I was just thinking the same thing.
    Just need to keep the jugs inside so as they don't freeze.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    This has always made me wonder. During power outages I have had to boil down some snow, mostly for washing, but a little for drinking. Melted snow tastes oddly metalic to me.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing.
    Just need to keep the jugs inside so as they don't freeze.
    I use two 5 gallon pails with lids & use a pot to fill them.

RWC is right. It's the lack of oxygen. Give it a good shake and you'll notice an amazing difference in taste just by oxygenating it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Keep one of these handy.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Snow, like rain, lacks the minerals and drinking melted snow over a long period of time will have a adverse effect on your health.

Water still comes from the lake in winter, you just have to make a hole in the ice first.

Treating it is still required too as crypto... and giradia are still active in cold water as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    RWC is right. It's the lack of oxygen. Give it a good shake and you'll notice an amazing difference in taste just by oxygenating it.
    I was gonna say that, but I've never actually tried it.

I heard that charcoal will replenish some of the minerals as well giving a more accustomed taste.

I know when we went from well to city water there was a huge difference in taste, not just the chlorine, but the water just didn't have the minerals I was used to drinking.

Purified water, such as rain and snow that lacks minerals is more acidic. There are concerns that it may wear off the enamel of your teeth, but there are also theories that suggest it reduces or prevents kidney stones.

When I was in the water treatment biz many folks were against drinking pure reverse osmosis water because of the increased acidity and possible damage to their teeth, not to mention the lack of minerals and need to supplement them from some other source.

It was one of the biggest obstacles to overcome when selling an RO unit, besides getting them to sign.

One of the reasons you shake up a canteen after treating the water is to aerate it to improve the taste. Most think it's just to distribute whatever chemical your using to treat the water and that's true but it's also for the taste.

Rain water and snow will collect any airborne particulates they come in contact with. While they certainly won't have the level of mineralization that ground water will neither is like distilled water. Consuming it long term should have no ill effects. My grandfather collected rainwater off his house (shack) into a 50 gallon barrel. He had a well but used the barrel all summer long. Or as long as it rained.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We harvest snow on a regular basis as this home we are in this winter doesn't have a well. Very large icecicles from the metal roof are nice as they obviously contain more water. We just have a designated area for me and the dogs to pee. Just have to make sure you don't eat any yellow snow!
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Mrs. Mountaintrekker: The water tastes funny. Did you pee in the "designated" area?

Mountaintrekker: I sure did! **looks over at dog**

Dog: Hey - don't look at me - I'm just a dog - I can't read that stupid sign!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Mrs. Mountaintrekker: The water tastes funny. Did you pee in the "designated" area?

Just mix in some TANG Orange juice powder........

That's very true. Especially if you use an iodine based chemical to treat your water.

Default I'm Lucky

My lake is big and deep enough it doesn't need treating. I drink straight from the lake.