Thread: People defending for and providing for themselves

Default People defending for and providing for themselves

So...is anyone else seeing a pattern, in the aftermath of these earthquakes?

These and hundreds of other survivors of Chile's devastating earthquake have organized neighborhood watch groups, arming themselves and barricading streets to protect their damaged homes from looters. The groups have stepped in as police were overwhelmed by looting and soldiers were slow to restore order after an earthquake and tsunami.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...DhW8QD9E77QS05

Almost everywhere, citizens have banded together to eat, get water and protect damaged or destroyed homes while they wait for the military to restore order and deliver aid.

In Hualpen, a poor community on the outskirts of Concepcion, Sonia Garrido and her neighbors felled trees across a street to protect their neighborhood. Volunteer guards sit around bonfires at night. Collectively, neighbors make bread and share it. Some draw brackish, smelly water from a lagoon and grumble about the lack of government aid.
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 03-03-2010 at 12:29 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

I think that's just human nature.
    When we had the flood in town, not a big deal, as mostly basements were flooded, the whole neighborhood was out helping each other.

The same after a big snow storm.

It's good to have someone at you back.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That is what it's all about and if we could maintain that level, even after a "survival" situation the world would be a much better place.

I think it is a "herd" response. Pretty normal during times of uncertainty. I would guess that even in areas that did not experience any looting, you find the neighborhood rallying
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I agree with what y'all are saying, but my point was that they are/were on their own....at least for a good while. They had to protect and provide for themselves, (and each other). They didn't have police or gov't. help.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Any time people share a common enemy banding together increases their chances of survival. It's the old you hang together, or you hang alone.

Animals too. Have you ever watched the Meerkat Manor?

Immediately after Hurricanes Erin and Opal in '95 in the FL panhandle, neighbors were checking on each other, helping with chain saws, water, food, etc. I think that's when I decided I wanted to be an Emergency Manager when I grew up. Only took me four more years. Most did the same during Hurricane Ivan in '04 and weren't screaming for "gubmint" to come help. Oh there were a few, but they were politically motivated.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

2D, I think that's what can be expected. It's simply not possible for any level of government to respond in a few hours. Locally, police and other first responders are either on the casualty list or trying to preserve their family, the same as everyone else. Outside of the area, response by the state/federal will be limted by 1) a request for assistance, 2) the logistics of assembling and 3) the time it takes to just get there provided the infrastructure allows them to do so (bridges down, roads block, etc).

I've worked several tornadoes and a couple of floods and, as Hunter said, it's pretty standard fare for everyone to help everyone. The last tornado I worked it stayed above 100° F for five days. Even at 4:00 a.m. it was over 100. We often had to work for hours just to clear brush and debris from right of way before we could start putting stuff back in the air. And it never failed that folks would come out and help cut and haul and offer iced tea, lemonade or just water. There's no doubt in my mind if there had been a looting element then there would have been armed men doing guard duty.

The countries change but what people want, security, food, water, safety doesn't change.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We do it already. At least most of us do. Why do we live in towns and cities? Because we like being around a lot of people? For some that may be true, but for most it is for the convenience. Close to stores. Close to medical facilities. Close to where we work. The added security. The infrastructure. So - without thinking about it, we do band together. During a catastrophic situation our field of vision narrows and those that we band with my become more tightly organized than just being a resident of a community to being an integral part of what makes it function. For most of human existence, most people have sought out the company of other people for some of the reasons above along with the social interaction.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

2d I see your point, and I think that necessity was behind most of this, the need to protect your self, from what I was reading.
    Too bad it comes to that, but I guess it does.

Water was up to the basement windows from the street, and every passing car made waves, so we blocked off the street, here.
    Cops came by later and left us alone.

Looting, needing stuff was generally given as the reason?, excuse?, but I can't understand the need for a big screen TV?

All the more reason to have your own ducks in a row, and be prepared for what ever you can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    All the more reason to have your own ducks in a row,
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

On all storm jobs, snow, floods, hurricanes etc we were well treated and some places we turned down extra help for safety. We got very few complaints from anyone and folks were thankful for water & ice. I have sat in the hills powering equipment with my truck Onan and folks would bring food and walk over to check on me. I have never worked a job where any looting happened. Never worked a job where everyone didn't pitch in. Different story in cities during riots. Like was said, only problem we ever saw was federal idiots running a motorboat up streets doing more damage to homes than the flood water. Why? because they were the GOVERNMENT. That's self explanatory. We were well provided for and shared with the folks who always thanked us and were grateful. I imagine things have changed since I retired in '96.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

The community dynamic is important. I'm counting on it. Thats just one reason I'm looking at CERTS program.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    LOL, good one.
    Hint, tie a decoy rope on a little rubber ducky like that, throw out with the other regular decoys in the dark.........wait for all the WTF's from the other guys come daylight....Priceless!
    Nice pic.