Thread: Sanding Belts

Default Sanding Belts

I have a HF 1" X 30" belt sander and I want to get some belts for working on knives. What do you recommend and where can I get them?

Harbor Freight sells them, but sometimes their selection is limited. I order mine from a place in PA. They don't have a website though. I'll dig up the name of the place and phone number in a bit. For my 1 X 30 I've got the following grits - 80, 120, 220, 300, 400, 600.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash, they had 40 and 80. They also had rolls of 50 yards of 240 grit for $3.99. I made up a band from that glued it together with some gorilla glue. Works alright.

Found it. The company is G.L. Pearce Abraxive Co. (800) 938-0021.

The 1 X 30 belts are 70 cents each.

For others that may be interested - the 2 X 72 belts (aluminum oxide) are $1.70 - grits up to 800. The 2 X 72 50 grit Zirconia belts are $3. So far these are the best prices I have found on abrasive belts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Found it. The company is G.L. Pearce Abraxive Co. (800) 938-0021.

The 1 X 30 belts are 70 cents each.

For others that may be interested - the 2 X 72 belts (aluminum oxide) are $1.70 - grits up to 800. The 2 X 72 50 grit Zirconia belts are $3. So far these are the best prices I have found on abrasive belts.

Thanks, so you don't use the micron or leather belts?

No I don't. For my 2 X 72's I use from 50 to 800 grit. I do have one 6000 grit belt though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i've got a different solution: 80grit belts that are worn 4/5 of the way smooth. they leave a fairly good surface to be finished off by wet sanding on a block [i have some 800, 1000 and 1500 grit sheet].
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Blog Entries

Trugrit has a good selection. http://www.trugrit.com/belts1.htm
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!