Thread: Hawk Handle...HELP!!!

Default Hawk Handle...HELP!!!

Ok so no pictures here, because all I've got is nothing. The head is a Cold steel frontier hawk. It has an oval eye. My thought was to take a log and then trim it down into a triangle, and then just shape it out. I couldn't get the log to split for anything; however after watching a bit more Ray Mears I believe that I've got that problem licked. but I was wondering if this is even the right route to getting this done.

I know where I can get a handle. and it might sound cheap, but I don't want to pay money for it. If I can learn to make the handle then I'll never be in need anyone follow?

Use a hardwood - dry and seasoned if possible. Here's a thread with pictures where CS did it. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=9152
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If your goal is to make your own handle from scratch cool, but you could always go to your local hardware store or home center and ask if they have any broken Axe or pick handles. Ive done this a time or two, most places will just give them too you. just an idea
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

If you really want to do it yourself you'll need some tools most people don't have around and materials. Draw knife, rasp, sandpaper or broken glass. I would go to the woodpile and split off a piece of seasoned hickory but if you don't have this stuff around get a handle as welderguy says and be ready to spend a lot more time than you think on it. You can also use an angle grinder or wheel to shape it. A perfect finish is scraping with broken glass, in other words if you can afford to buy one it ain't worth the time. You could pick up a few aluminum cans and pay for one faster than you could make it. Without the tools it ain't worth it.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Dross, follow CS's link above. To use a "log" to make a tool handle can be like using a 2x4 to make a tooth pic. Use a well seasoned piece of wood like a branch from an oak, maple, ash, even walnut. If you use a branch a bit larger then the long measurement of the oval you have enough wood to trim and get a tight fit. See how the wood on CS's handle is rough at the bottom of the axe head, that curled form forcing the head on the handle. Thats a tight fit.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Keep in mind that a hawk handle is different than an axe, hatchet or even a handle.

If you look at the "Eye" it is tapered from the top of the blade,(bigger) to the the bottom, (smaller).
    Handles slip thru the eye, small end first, then tighten up as it get to the other larger tapered end.
    They aren't pounded or wedges used as in a axe or hammer.

If your hawk is a casting (lot of cheap ones out there), the eyes are all the same size.

If it was forged, (steel bent around a mandral the hammer welded), the eyes will all be slightly different.

I usually pick them up at Rendezvous, so I can try the ahndles, and pick out one the correct size. Buy several at a time.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I have used a green willow as a temporary handle, as handles get kinda chewed up during "handle matches", bunch of guys throw in turn.

Just cut, de-bark, and wittle the taper, keep going till it fits.
    Willow drys light and strong.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I used to make and throw hawks and until I got pretty good at throwing I would go through handles. What I ended up doing was to simply find a small tree limb and cut it off and drop it into the hawk and cutt it again just a little past the head as it was a quick, cheap fix for a handle. A lot of the guys that did the black powder trail walk competitions did the same.
    If you aren`t using your hawk for throwing then the time spent hand making a good handle would be worth it.

I think I might of had the handle wedged too tight. It didn't break because I was missing it broke after a great stick.

A basic understanding of wood grain helps compensate for maybe less than perfect selection of wood species and with the proper wood make it indestructable (unless you let your teenager use it). Outer portions of old growth trees have straighter and harder grain than heart wood. It also exposes less grain to the elements for longer life.