Thread: Smoking Foods.

Default Smoking Foods.

Has anyone got any advice on smoking meats? I normally use nuts and dried fruits... How long do you have to smoke venison for?

You can smoke in a variety of ways so I won't get into that. But there are some things that must be done to ensure edibility:

1) Before you smoke, remove ALL gristle and/or fat. You want the leanest pieces of meat only.
    2) Whether before or after, make sure to boil your meat pieces for a minute or two to ensure the internal temperature reaches greater than 160F.
    3) Never use resinous wood (pine, etc) to create smoke from.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

There is another thread on smoking/curing foods elsewhere on the forum that has some great info,just do a search for curing meats and you should find it.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Bladesypher... is it just deer meat you are smoking or fish if it is fish there is a GREAT book out that I can not find right now if you are interested in fish I will find it for you
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Here's a pretty neat link, not just for preserving meat but other homesteading skills as well

http://waltonfeed.com/old/index.html

BatCat
    ---Cavette Cattam--

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The Backwoods Man Magazine has a lot of information on primitive living, do it yourself stuff and the like. Give them a try.

I have done this with my dad, after cleaning the meat of all the gooy stuff (fat and such) we cut it up and then boiled it whle we made a teepee type smoker and then hung the meat inside with a hickory fire burning under in the center, the fire was in a pit and about two feet below the meat, the smokehole was small to allow a build of the smoke, we smoked it for about 3 or 4 hours. It was real good when we ate it.
    I'm in charge since Beowulf's gone!!!

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

I taught your old man that, ask him about spear fishing... now that is funny story, and he's pretty good at it.
    Living in the Northern part of the Lewis and Clark National Forest as a Ranger with US Forestry Service... What more could a guy want