Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wife finally understands

Default wife finally understands

so the past few years i have talked to my wife about the impotance of being prepared, her usual response is that she will rely upon me if any thing happens, well we have gone over the long drive to town many a time showing her what could happen and possible solutions.
    well last week once agin unfortunatly another fatal accident on the trans canada hiway closed it again, it all depends where it happens on her route home sometimes it can be a detour, simple and sometimes might be a couple hour detour.
    her options, go back to town and stay at her moms, if she can turn around, if it happens on the divided hiway there will not be much option to turn around, if it happens on the two lane then she has a better posssibilty.
    but there she was caught in traffic w/o her bug out bag like i have told her to carry many a time and this was a very nasty wreck involving a semi and truck.
    now she has put a bag at her moms and carries one in her truck so she has better options when this happens again.
    live and learn
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Good for her. Sometimes a small dose of reality is a good teacher.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

My wife don't either. She grumbles when we happen to take my Jeep(well stocked) complains about boots, insulated Carharts, tow chain and just about everything you can think of. If I make the mistake of asking her what she will do if she gets stuck or breaks down her stock answer is call me or someone else and she travels main roads, knows lots of folks and don't want to learn. Still complains every Sunday when I drop my 45 in the console on our way to church, cured that by telling her I just might dislike the sermon. She has always lived in safer areas while I worked in some of the worst. She's not going to change so I have to watch extra close. Picked her up at 7 Corners, VA years ago and she complained about a man hitting on her and what was I gonna do about it. I got out and in front of a hundred or so people I tucked the guy in for a nice nap. Caught it when I got back in the car and 40yrs later still haven't learned. I just keep a few things in her car, out of the way and tell her what and where they are. After 45yrs I give up.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

i ended up writing a "manuel" i guess for lack of better description of what to do in such and such scenario, she doesn't mind my preps just doesn't actively partcipate, until it happens, hopefully this is the begining of her taking a more procative approcah to this
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

What is about SOME WIVES? Mine is the same way. She doesn't want to discuss prepping. She doesn't for the most part see a need for it. She doesn't like guns. Say's if TSHTF/TEOTWAWKI she wouldn't want to survive it anyway. It took months of begging,bribeing, promising, and groveling for her to agree to a BOB for her vehicle and knowing what was in it and how to use it. She feels that if something happens it's my job to handle it. TRUE It IS my job to take care of things, It is what I have trained for in the army and as a "prepper" I guess maybe part of it is upbringing. I'm a country boy, she's a city girl....
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Default An exception

Here's one wife who is in charge of everything prep with a very appreciative and supporting husband but not an actively participating one.
    Since we are both extremely busy and have different talents in general, we fell into this division of labor MO where we handle what we're
    interested in and know best. (skiing being an exception)

We share this knowledge with each other but it's not as effective IMO as if we were both involved equally and that's frustrating.
    I spend an inordinate amount of time researching, testing, reading, doing all I know to do in order to prep the smart way (given our life style)
    and it's a very involved, lonely and seemingly never-ending job.

And yet Mr. B really has more experience with the basics given that he was a highly decorated cub & eagle scout and just "gets"
    how everything works because he grew up learning hands on.
    So I don't know quite what to think--be happy that he is appreciative and supportive in anything I do or ticked off
    that he is not at all involved in something so vital to our lives.

My spouse grew up in Laos. She remembers the basics, starting a fire, cooking over the fire, will throttle , pluck and cook a fowl in a heart beat. up until 15 years ago or so, we would buy a pig, I would kill it, and hang it. She would do all the prep work, only throwing out the "oink" . Now days she is (in her words) more "Americanized "(after 32 years!!!). She does not do our "prepwork" now, but has a keen nose for what foods to buy and stocked, probably as a result of growing up and knowing what hunger and hardship is.

My point being that people (not only women) are a product of their environment, and can and are dependent on their spouse to a more or lesser degree. But everyone is always teachable.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    . Still complains every Sunday when I drop my 45 in the console on our way to church, cured that by telling her I just might dislike the sermon.
    LOL!!
    We both prep but differently. DH is a gear junkie. I always thought it was overkill to take the glock to church. It's a 10 minute drive and then he has to un-gear and hide it in the car too.

LOL
    Last edited by cowgirlup; 02-14-2010 at 07:36 PM.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

My misses is into Survival Prep so well she even made a BOB for our dog!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Cool

I'm still working on my wife about being prepared, She would ratherjust to wait and see.
    I'm an old boy scout/Eagle and a leader for a few years so she mostly just grumbles about the money(She's an Accountant).
    But I keep working on her and the kids and worry for all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    My misses is into Survival Prep so well she even made a BOB for our dog!
    You will be pleased to hear the Wolfpack Mascot also has a BOB of his own
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

My spouse understands a lot more now as compared to when I was first getting my family prepared for whatever whenever. Seeing what has happened to the economy and me opening her eyes to what is going on around us and then relating that to why I do what I do seems to have brought her more on board. I wish she read this forum and learn what I have learned from most of you guys here.
    And while the law of competition may be sometimes hard for the individual, it is best for the race, because it ensures the survival of the fittest in every department.

Fear of destruction and imminent danger are those that will ultimately drive us forward onto survival in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    My ex understood, I just never understood her is the problem.
    At least you don't need her to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    Nope, I kicked her to the curb, but she still comes around for you know what... I mean you know who. I guess she can't survive without me.

BTW, I couldn't survive with her so I left.
    Good thing you found out before TSHTF.

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

It took my wife about 6 months to come around and now she's an active participant. I kept pointing out simple real world examples like the Haiti earthquake, the winter storms in the East, the rolling brown-outs in CA, the hurricanes in FL. The truth is, down here, natural disasters are not a worry... but she's a defense hawk (like me) and the grid, etc, is old and not hardened. Having kids at home helps too, "we're doing it for them" turns prepping it into a motherly duty.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Well, as a wife that 'gets it', I have a husband that tolerates my 'hobby' grudgingly. So, in the generalization of things, not all husbands are on board with prepping.

I had to threaten to stop feeding him, before he would stop complaining about all the food we have...to anyone that would listen.

So how's that for having security destroyed, by a MAN...no less. And yeah 5 years later, I'm still steamed.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Good thing you found out before TSHTF.
    LOL, LOL, good one.
    Truer words were never spoken, can you imagine dealing with a SHTF with some one you can't stand?

Reminds me of this retired engineer, from my previous life.
    Married for 50 plus years, he was a work-o-holic, she shopped, lunched, played cards with her friends at the club.
    Their paths didn't cross much in their entire married life.

So the guy gets forced into retirement at age 70, spent his time at home, bugging the wife.
    Would show up at the shop, to hang out.

His famous statement was,"You know after all these years, I don't know if I like her all that much".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    His famous statement was,"You know after all these years, I don't know if I like her all that much".
    I've heard that from people whose kids left the nest. For a long time it was all about the kids--all the conversations, vacations, fights, everything.
    Once the kids were gone, they were just two acquaintances living under the same roof wondering what happened.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I've heard that from people whose kids left the nest. For a long time it was all about the kids--all the conversations, vacations, fights, everything.
    Once the kids were gone, they were just two acquaintances living under the same roof wondering what happened.
    That's why you get rid of the wife and keep the kids. Just sayin'.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    That's why you get rid of the wife and keep the kids. Just sayin'.
    Or.....
    Don't have the kids in the first place.
    Just sayin'.