Thread: On Ice

Blog Entries

Default On Ice

I woke up at 0530. At 0800, I introduced myself to the clients. 1000, myself, the boss and 10 clients set off on a winter snowmachine adventure up the Yetna river. 1140, I was riding in the back of the line when the machine in front of me stopped. I pulled up and asked what was up. The client said the thing just quit. I told him to take my snowmachine and catch up with the others and tell them there was a "break down". 1800, The boss and the clients return and tow me back to Deshka landing.

Know what its like to sit on the "ice" in 5 degree weather for 5 hours. Guess what my inner feelings about the boss was until I found out that "the" client didn't tell the boss I was broke down. He told him I'd be along.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Banned

I am surprised you Boss believed "You would be along" ? Or do you have a habit of disappearing for hours instead of following clients ? no Radios ?

I would suggest some 2 way radios. Either that or pin a note to the client's jacket like you would any 5 year old.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Could have been worse. The client didn't run over any body parts.

Did you transfer your gear to the broken snow machine?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Default Better Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would suggest some 2 way radios. Either that or pin a note to the client's jacket like you would any 5 year old.
    Pin the note with something sharp and pointy so your boss would notice the blood. I think I would be forced to speak "harshly" to the client and have a word with my boss
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

Thank you for posting this, Kevin. You know how much I despise cold weather, right?

I'll remember this thread the next time I sit in court all day waiting for the judge to come on the bench. Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

What coot said.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    pin a note to the client's jacket like you would any 5 year old
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot
    Pin the note with something sharp and pointy so your boss would notice the blood.
    Man, Coot, you are tough on 5 year olds!!!!!!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Could have been worse. The client didn't run over any body parts.

Did you transfer your gear to the broken snow machine?
    If I'd have transfered my gear it wouldn't been so troubling.

Although it would have sucked to be in your boots all day...I understand the situation. Personally, as an outfitter. If I was doing an out and back trail, I might have left you there as well....depending on how long the clients and I would be out, and depending on the forecast and current weather conditons.

My first priority on outings of this nature are the clients...they pay good money for a tour, not a gear repair or towing seminar. Outfitting/guiding businesses are built on the clients getting what they paid for and having a good time. Referalls and Word of mouth stuff is awesome when things go well...but, you can't build a successful business with the reputation of having faulty equipment. I figure my guides have the training, knowledge, gear and experience to get through such situations. I would leave Kevin behind in a heartbeat for a few hours...because he is a true Alaskan wilderness guide and badass. I show my clients a good time, then pick-up the pieces later....thats just the way it is.

Of course, if it was 30 below, forecast of a blizzard, or we weren't going to becoming back on the same trail, i would have gone back.

About radios...I have worked for lots of outfitters in several states, in some pretty remote spots, doing wilderness trips up to 10 days long and I have only worked for two companies that ever used radio's and one that had sat phones. Although you would think they'd be standard equipment...they're not.

Blog Entries

I carry a Sat-phone but radio's are more trouble then they are worth.

A sat phone? Why didn't you just order a pizza and catch a ride back with the delivery driver?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    Although it would have sucked to be in your boots all day...I understand the situation. Personally, as an outfitter. If I was doing an out and back trail, I might have left you there as well....depending on how long the clients and I would be out, and depending on the forecast and current weather conditons.

My first priority on outings of this nature are the clients...they pay good money for a tour, not a gear repair or towing seminar. Outfitting/guiding businesses are built on the clients getting what they paid for and having a good time. Referalls and Word of mouth stuff is awesome when things go well...but, you can't build a successful business with the reputation of having faulty equipment. I figure my guides have the training, knowledge, gear and experience to get through such situations. I would leave Kevin behind in a heartbeat for a few hours...because he is a true Alaskan wilderness guide and badass. I show my clients a good time, then pick-up the pieces later....thats just the way it is.

Of course, if it was 30 below, forecast of a blizzard, or we weren't going to becoming back on the same trail, i would have gone back.
    Jason you make a very good point. When I'm leading a tour and someone comes up missing I stop and find out what happened to include parking the clients in a safe place and backtracking. But then I wasn't a client and my boss said he was concerned but was confident I would be ok. I was more then prepared to hang out until the group returned and I know my boss knew this. It was just cold. When I said I left my gear on the machine I told the client to take, I didn't mean all my gear. I had my vest on. I just didn't have my tool kit or the Sat-phone. It just sucked to be stranded and left behind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A sat phone? Why didn't you just order a pizza and catch a ride back with the delivery driver?
    The Sat-phone was on the machine I sent with the client.

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    radio's are more trouble then they are worth.
    I'm curious; why is this?

I sure hope the problem wasn't the kill switch. This happened to me once ice fishing, my sled just stopped running, couldn't get it started. When we finally got home thanks to several people helping us back the the trailer and getting it loaded, I was looking at it on the trailer in the back yard and of course the kill switch was just at eye level. It started just as soon as I turned the switch after pulling the kill switch up. I was embarrassed, but hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    I sure hope the problem wasn't the kill switch. This happened to me once ice fishing, my sled just stopped running, couldn't get it started. When we finally got home thanks to several people helping us back the the trailer and getting it loaded, I was looking at it on the trailer in the back yard and of course the kill switch was just at eye level. It started just as soon as I turned the switch after pulling the kill switch up. I was embarrassed, but hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.
    That was the first thing I checked.