Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Road Trucker...sort of

Default Ice Road Trucker...sort of

So starting this weekend I will be taking a truck up the ice road to a reserve up north. Bringing groceries and whatnot to a store up there.

Work all day then drive 6 hours in the remote wilderness through the frozen muskeg and across frozen lakes. Unload then head straight back.

Night time temperatures are around -30C this time of year so I need to be prepared in the event of a break down.

I'll put together a kit for the drive and include some of the basics. Looking forward to the adventure and I am confident I could spend a night (or two) out there alone if the need arises. Still debating on weather I should pack a rifle with me.

Blog Entries

Your in a truck why not take a gun. It's not like the extra weight is going to be a burden.

Might I suggest taking the best cold weather sleeping bag you can get your hands on and a heavy wool blanket, as well as a buddy heater with extra fuel. Make sure you crack the window a bit if you use the heater though.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I thought you were the dispatcher. Short handed?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Review your life insurance policy. Just sayin'.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Review your life insurance policy. Just sayin'.
    Well thats a comfort to hear !

I agree with klkak, take a firearme along , it never hurts to have something your not going to use than need it and not have it.
    Have a safe trip , fill us in on the experiance when you get back.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Well thats a comfort to hear !

That's me! Ken, a/k/a Your Comforting Comp......... wait a minute, that's another guy here. Never mind.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Pack the biggest you can carry::::::

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Ken has helped me out so much with legal stuff, I need to keep track of it so I can pay him back. I will be placing a 'score card' in my sig as a reminder.

DEBT:

Repaid:

You might toss in some hand warmers like Little Hotties. They last about 8 hours and they are pretty inexpensive. The gun is a good, too. You never know when you might have to hoof it for help.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good luck on the trip & please let us know how it went.
    I've often thought that taking someone along that likes walking would be a real asset if you break down.Then you can stay cozy by the fire till he gets back with help.

Good luck, on your trip...They make TV shows about stuff like that, you know.
    I vote rifle, and am surprised that you even wondered about it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

sounds like an adventure,, from watching the TV show,, My Advice is , Don't Stop On the Ice !

Red knows what to do you guys, but from personal experience, I'd take a rifle and someone with a treaty number, know what I mean RL? Opportunities may abound. Or, let me phrase it another way. I've been feasting on caribou for the last two weeks thanks to someone with a treaty number.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Red knows what to do you guys, but from personal experience, I'd take a rifle and someone with a treaty number, know what I mean RL? Opportunities may abound. Or, let me phrase it another way. I've been feasting on caribou for the last two weeks thanks to someone with a treaty number.
    Good advice, Trax. Eat caribou - Not squirrel.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Good advice, Trax. Eat caribou - Not squirrel.
    a) no comparison in taste, caribou hands down

b) takes an awful lot of squirrels to make up the quantity of one caribou, heck for that matter it takes a few just to make up the quantity of one good caribou steak.

Ken, you want me to go on a bit about how good the friend caribou strips with fried eggs was for breakfast this morning? I know you just love it when I discuss that sort of thing.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Ken, you want me to go on a bit about how good the friend caribou strips with fried eggs was for breakfast this morning? I know you just love it when I discuss that sort of thing.
    Talk about food? Yes! Side of English muffins, some good strong coffee........
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Trax, I know what you mean, but don't think I would actually do that.

So .30-30, .22 or 12 ga.? I am thinking the .22 just for plinking rabbits or grouse.

As far as the rest of the gear, I got that covered.

My sons both have treaty rights, so you know....I'm ok with them doing the hunting in certain places and certain times of year. You're probably good to go with the .22, again my experience on similar roads says go easy and don't say whoa in a bad spot.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I thought you were the dispatcher. Short handed?
    Not a dispatcher really, but this is a side job. Like the 50 or so hours a week is not enough for me

Well - enjoy it and stay safe.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Redlake.... IF you are operating in the united states ( alaska?) FMCSR ( federal motor carrier saftey regulations) state ( I can't remember the #) " You are NOT allowed to carry any type of firearm/dangerous weapon up to and including stun guns, mace, nightsticks, swords, bows/arrows, explosive devices,or any other item that can cause bodily harm. With the exception of Items that are a part of your freight and are listed on the bills of lading. These Items MUST be as freight and properly stored in the cargo area of the unit. Violation of this rule can/will lead to suspension of your CDL ( license), Fines of up to $10,000.00, imprisonment up to 5 years, OR all of the above.
    If you are in canada the rules MAY be different. So word of advice leave the rifle at home.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.