Thread: Presenting #2!

Default Presenting #2!

I really don't think this one will stay in the handle when use the gut hook, but I'll sure find out! The handle's the lower jaw bone of a deer. Got about 3 and a half inches of metal ran down the natural hole through the bone. Pushed some bondo down in the hole and then coated the metal with some more before I inserted it the hole. Blade was good and tight in it with no up and down or side to side play before bondo, so I think it might work o.k. If it falls out just have to put so pins in I guess.
    Incase your wondering 4 3/4 in. blade 10 1/4 overall

Got enough of the machette left for a fillet and one more something!
    Last edited by Ted; 11-29-2010 at 09:08 PM.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

I was a bit apprehensive about opening this thread. Even Mods fear to tread some places. Anyway, it's not what I thought it was going to be. Very nice knife, Ted. You do need to work on titles however.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Great work Ted. Pay no attention to Rick. I knew exactly what it was going to be before I opened it............at least I was hoping I did before I opened my other eye.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If this is #2 I can't wait to see #25. you have improved exponentially since #1. That looks like a great knife to me. If it holds up under use, that will be the real test. Good Job!!

It's kinda funny, though, that now that deer season is over, I see folks using parts. I could have saved you guys a LOT of these parts (bones, sinews, etc) back when I was skinning for folks for the skins and brains. I saved myself a few parts, mostly legs and sinews, but I managed to save a couple bones. Most of it just got tossed because of my workload. (no hobbyist friends who like dead animals.. who'da thunk it?). Next year you's guys need to make me a list of pieces you'd like to play with, and I'll save 'em for yas. That jaw-bone is a nice addition. Have you thought about using the scapula for anything?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Nice workmanship. I like it!

The smell of drilling and cutting bone and antler reminds me of the dentist office.
    Last edited by rebel; 02-25-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Nice work, good use of the bone.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nice job, Keep at it . Every time you make one it will be better than the last.

Wonderful job, keep up the great work.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I really thought this was going to be another one of those "name that scat" threads.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

(me shaking head)....Rick,Rick,Rick...... Rick,Rick,Rick......Rick Rick,Rick...(LOL)

Thought you'd like to know when I got home from work I hooked the end of my table with the gut hook ,lifted the table,and it didn't pull out! I don't know if anyones tried it but it would certainly appear you can bondo blades to handles!

Oh and thanks all.
    Last edited by Ted; 02-25-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Blog Entries

Thats a cool looking blade, Nice job!
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

YCC, don't have any scapulas lay'in around so never thought about it! Theres no way the jaw bone would handle any hard abuse,but for gutting and skinning It's pleny strong enough.

When I was heavy into the trappin and taxiderny learning, I told the guys at work every night, "Well, time to go home and play with the dead animals.".... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    YCC, don't have any scapulas lay'in around so never thought about it! Theres no way the jaw bone would handle any hard abuse,but for gutting and skinning It's pleny strong enough.

When I was heavy into the trappin and taxiderny learning, I told the guys at work every night, "Well, time to go home and play with the dead animals.".... LOL
    I just tell folks that it's time to go kill something. Sometimes the looks I get are priceless.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I just tell folks that it's time to go kill something. Sometimes the looks I get are priceless.
    LOL....Indeed they are!

Very well done Ted. Am I the only one that KNEW it was about your second knife?!?! I can't believe it.

Rick, if you eat some prunes, you'll have a bowel movement so it isn't so much on your mind!! Have a prune instead of a Twinkie!!

Thanks Poco, but your first is going to blow my first three away!

Ahhhh, I don't know about that. I think an ULU style blade would be a bit ambitious for me. To be honest keeping the grind even on both sides is a bit trickier for me.