Thread: Sharpening a Cold Steel Bushman

Default Sharpening a Cold Steel Bushman

I am working on a new sheath and decided I wanted to use my Bushman to cut it out. It needed sharpening as I have continually abused it ever since I got the #2 pass around knife, I just can't quit testing it since I bought mine. Anyhow i found it hard to sharpen the edge back to the razor edge it was purchased with. My solution....I blued the edge, this allowed me to follow it perfectly with my Arkansas Blue Stone. Now it is ready to cut out a sheath! I can' t say enough about this knife though, it has taken a beating and now looks new. I also redid the capsule in the handle. I had used a wine cork at the base of the handle and a boat plug in the butt end. Well the plug kept flying out during heavy chores. I changed it out for some toilet bowl "tank to bowl bolts and rubber washers" works alot better!
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 02-24-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

You mentioned something lots of folks don't know about, using even a magic marker to mark the edge line. I have done that draw filing a blade to get it very close to polish condition. On a taper it's a necessity.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    You mentioned something lots of folks don't know about, using even a magic marker to mark the edge line. I have done that draw filing a blade to get it very close to polish condition. On a taper it's a necessity.
    Most anytime I get a response from Coot...I know I am on the right track! Yes sir it works real good~! Almost finished with the one eyed sheath! I am quite pleased with it!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson