Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "WANTED" Fishing Lures Cheap, about 50 to 100

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    The "Lujon" my favorite lure for the Kenai River. (For those who do not know, it is the far left rig, used for Snagging Salmon)
    I don't want to talk about salmon fishing.

Sometime around '76, a friend and I went up to Lake Sebago, ME, on a land-locked salmon expedition. As soon as we set up camp, it started to pour as if a dam had burst over our heads. We fished all day for three days in the often pouring rain. Nothing except about 10,000 bites FROM THEM DAMNED BLACK FLIES!

On the fourth day, the rain subsided to a light drizzle. And we were still fishing. And still nothing. We had tried every fly, lure, and fresh bait that existed. Still nothing.

Well, around 9:30 on the fourth morning, some kid parked himself about 50' away and started throwing rocks in the lake. My friend, hoping to spare his life, acted quickly and asked him to stop.

Next thing the kid did was pull out a handline with a weighted bobber with a hook and canned corn for bait.

Within 5 minutes, the kid pulled in a salmon that had to have been in the 6 - 8 lb. range.

We packed up our gear and broke camp. Just as we checked out at the Ranger's station, the sun burst through the clouds for the first time since we had arrived.

I know that experience was a message for me .........
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

LOL^. Yah, my sis used to do that to me all the time at the lake. Dad and I'd be bait casting or jigging and she just drops a line over the side and enjoys the sun. And ends up catching the largest fish of the day...

You can sometimes find great deals on ebay if you watch for it. I picked up an insane amount of fly-tying gear for a low (but still pretty fair) price.

Spin-n-Glows are cheap and can be used universally. Salmon quit feeding when they hit fresh water and some people think you need to excite thier preditor instincts. I think of of it more like annoying them to get them to bite. I use an unbaited trailing hook so even if they just bite and let go when I set hook it pulls through thier mouth and the second hook snags them in the mouth, a legal catch. When I get serious though I have a 5' Dipnet!

Here's a picture of the way I tie it. I use a weight on a 3-way swivel attached with rubber hose for working whole river. (Kings can be out in current) and when just plunking bait I use canon ball weight to hold it in place. Most often Salmon will stay close to shore where current is not as strong.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 03-15-2010 at 07:07 PM.