Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakdown in the bush

Default .............

Last edited by cyc79; 06-08-2021 at 11:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cyc79 View Post
    Last January I was taking a load of fuel by snocat to a site 72km back in the bush for an exploration company. About 13km in & about 6 hours away from where I was hauling to, the machine broke down. This was about 6pm. I knew my partner would come looking for me in a few hours when I didn't show up, so I got into the thickest bush I could find & got a fire going to wait. Hours later, still no partner. I knew he must have run into trouble himself so I got ready to spend the night. First thing was shelter. I built a lean-to & gathered spruce for a bed. That done, wood was next. Fortunately I was in a spot that had a fair amount of deadfall & standing dead trees. A lot of this area has been burned over & over again, so some places have lots of wood & in others there's practically nothing. I don't like using an axe after dark but had no choice. I always carry a flashlight so getting wood was ok, & once my fire was going I could see well enough to get more. Luckily, we were having a mild spell & I doubt the temp got to much below -15c during the night, if that. No matter what, I always carry my bushpack. I carry a flashlight, spare batteries, a small cookset, tarp, knife, rope, matches, bic lighter, small first aid kit, tea,sugar, packaged soup & oatmeal, trail mix etc. along with some other odds & ends, enough to get me by for a couple days. The next morning, me, with my pack & axe along for the ride, start hoofing it back to where I'd started out the day before, where we had a shack with a woodstove & grub. This was only about a 13km walk but the country is pretty rough. Lots of hills. 4 1/2 hours later I make it back but am pretty tuckered out even though I took it easy so as not to get sweated up. I was wishing I was 20 again instead of 50. I made fire at the shack, got coffee on the go & was going to cook, then jump on a spare Skidoo we kept there to go find out what happened to my partner. Just then I heard a snowmobile come in. He finally made it. Turns out he too broke down & spent the night out. He walked 2 1/2 hours at daybreak to get back to where he could get another machine. The odds of both of us breaking down like this are astronomical, but obviously can happen. Other than being tired, all this was pretty much just an inconvenience. Being prepared makes all the difference in the world as to the outcome. We all know that any kind of travel alone is risky, but here it's just the way things are. Trappers in the north are often alone for weeks on end, & practically everyone has spent the night out in the bush at one time or another because of break downs or bad weather. You must be prepared at all times. You also need to think differently than when down south. You can't be in a big rush to do things as rushing around is a good way to get hurt. Being injured can get you dead, especially in the winter if you can't get around. And being without a good axe in the winter is about the same as being barefoot. The end result may not be pretty. Having said all this, I'm not trying to make myself out to be some kind of survival expert. I wouldn't call myself expert at much of anything. There's a lot of people out there that know a whole lot more than I ever will, & when the native people here tell me something, I ask questions & listen very carefully. No one is too old to learn something new.
    Interesting story. I'm glad you had the equipment, knowledge, common sense and will to use it correctly. Thank you for sharing.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Great story. Goes to show how far a fair amount of preparation will go. well done.

I, too, thought it was a great story. I appreciate you sharing it. It lets everyone see what can happen.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

........Being prepared makes all the difference in the world as to the outcome.
    ......There's a lot of people out there that know a whole lot more than I ever will,& when the native people here tell me something,I ask questions & listen very carefully.No one is too old to learn something new.
    Good story cyc, thanks for sharing it and I'm glad it had a positive outcome
    Last edited by Rick; 02-23-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Great story, you just never know.
    Thanks
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nice story. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I sure hope we don't find out he broke down across the street from the Hilton like "you know who".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I sure hope we don't find out he broke down across the street from the Hilton like "you know who".
    Hey at least he didn't have to hike 240 miles in his bare feet just to get to a computer to tell us about it.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Good story and thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hey,you said you wouldn't tell on me if I sent you that case of Canadian.
    Trax,I wouldn't walk 240 miles for a free six month stay at the Playboy mansion.Come to think about it,I'm pretty sure I couldn't walk that far.

Hey,you said you wouldn't tell on me if I sent you that case of Canadian.
    Trax,I wouldn't walk 240 miles for a free six month stay at the Playboy mansion.Come to think about it,I'm pretty sure I couldn't walk that far.
    Oh I might, but I'd want to know that I had supplies already cached along the way and I'd want a pretty good headstart on whatever my arrival time was supposed to be, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Oh I might, but I'd want to know that I had supplies already cached along the way and I'd want a pretty good headstart on whatever my arrival time was supposed to be, lol.
    LOL, you sure wouldn't want to show up at the Playboy Mansion, all tired, worn out, stinky, and haggard, if you know what I mean.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    LOL, you sure wouldn't want to show up at the Playboy Mansion, all tired, worn out, stinky, and haggard, if you know what I mean.
    Depends on the care I'm going to receive on arrival hunter. CAUTION: Nell, stop reading this thread!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Depends on the care I'm going to receive on arrival hunter. CAUTION: Nell, stop reading this thread!!!!

GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

wow, just saved me from a 240 mile walk!

I thought you'd see it my way!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    I thought you'd see it my way!
    Well babe, it is a survival forum

He was speaking hypothetically.