Thread: Coal and Gas Forges

Default Coal and Gas Forges

Here are some pics of both my son's gas forge in Illinois and the coal forge I have in West Virginia. I can't remember who asked or what thread it was on so I'm posting here.

I enjoy blacksmithing but would hesitate to consider myself skilled. Just a tinkerer.

Shop area
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Post Vice, Bench, Anvile

Coal forge whit dropped sides for long work like strap hinges and such

Anthracite Coal decent quality

Sub bituminous coal low mid quality

This is the set up i take for demonstrations in the town square. I usually make some S hooks and will do some repairs and some reproduction or replacement simple hardware. you give me something simple and i'll try to duplicate it. I can get a welding heat easy on this.

I'll post a similar series of photos of my Son's shop in Il.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Great pics. I love the fact that is has the hand crak blower on it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Cool pic's, like the blower, as well.
    They had one on American Pickers last week, that they were looking at. Sadly it had been left out side and was hard to turn.
    Thanks for posting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That's a nice shop.

This blower was locked up from rust. I had to take it apart and clean up the rust and make a few spacing washers out of sheet brass and leather. The gears are a bit sloppy from not being maintained while in use and leaks from the crank shaft so I use a heavy gear oil. When I took the pictures the crank was stiff to turn. I used the halogen lamp to warm things up. I was going to demo drawing out with a cross peen but the door was snowed shut, it got too smokey. I usually exhaust fan out the door.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

So - when is the last time you played coquette?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh, about 13. Its a leftover from my folks estate sale. Not sure why we still have it. Tom my son wanted them for Zombie killing mallets but.......

The coach House is a mess, under the tarp is a Ludlow line casting machine for printing and an old treadle printing press. A definite summer project. I have about 1000 sqft in out building that has been the dropping point from moving from IL. The back and forth every 6 to 10 or so weeks is no longer fun. Some of the stuff is ending up in my wife's used book and antique store.
    Karl

Forge Master B dual burner forge with ports on the sides so you can work long pieces of stock

100 pound Anvil from Traditions

Vice with swivel at base on two axis. Not only does it turn on the base, It also turns so the jaws cab be on the ether side or upside down. Neat Idea, Bad for black smithing. The lock on the swivel is not strong enough to keep the vice from moving when heavy hammer blows strike.

I can't show layout because I'm dry walling and insulating the garage in Illinois so every thing is pushed to one side.
    Karl