Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-use items!

I saw superglue mentioned above (oops! just mentioned it for first aid in a new post) but duct tape! I have lots of it in my BOB and at the retreat!

COTTON BALLS they make for great tinder and if you put a dab of patrolium jelly on it it will burns for an extra 45 seconds

Not a dab, soak 'em. Fluff before spark, or use dry ball to strike. Nine minutes or better, they'll start drowning wet tinder.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

thanks for the correction

rope. Never underestimate rope.

Jute, horse hair, hemp or other natural fibers. Not synthetic rope. You can use the natural stuff for all kinds of things. I'd be hard pressed to use synthetic for anything other than rope. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Condoms can be used to store water in a pinch and don't take up much room at all. Unlubricated of course.

Edit: Never mind, guess someone beat me to it lol.
    Last edited by TheNorthernRanger; 11-24-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Jute, horse hair, hemp or other natural fibers. Not synthetic rope. You can use the natural stuff for all kinds of things. I'd be hard pressed to use synthetic for anything other than rope. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
    Synthetic rope be can melted to patch a hole in your canteen
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

I would say my homemade alcohol stove. I didn't insulate it.
    It can be:
    Cup
    Bowl
    Reflector/signal mirror
    As a side note the alcohol I use for fuel also has many purposes, esp if it's pure grain

Everything you carry is multi-use. The key is being flexible enough to find other purposes. Thinking outside the box is what makes a survivor (because an unsuccessful survivor is deceased, right?).

Sorry, just realized this has already been pointed out. My browser started me on page 22 instead of page 1....lol.
    Last edited by Catfishfiddler; 11-25-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Didn't read page 1 of thread.

Hunter 63 saying Hey and Welcome......the is a intro page at,

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions
    I'm sure a lot of items have been brought up and discussed, but personally I don't see a problem with a reminder.....
    I don't see a lot of people reading 22 pages...and will never say....It's been brought up.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Hunter 63 saying Hey and Welcome......the is a intro page at,

I'm sure a lot of items have been brought up and discussed, but personally I don't see a problem with a reminder.....
    I don't see a lot of people reading 22 pages...and will never say....It's been brought up.
    Thank you..will slide over there to introduce.

trash bags are good for anything. im sure if you stacked and compressed like 100 of them then melted them u could get a crude shank once sharpened. el oh el

Everytime I see a thread like this one I fail to see 2 things listed. Its impossible to leave them at home, but some are better than others. And I'm talking about you brain and your skills - they are the 2 most important tools you have. So make sure you are well trained and well practiced ! Gear can make things easier, but if you do not possess the training and skills to use your gear properly, then its all for naught.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Everytime I see a thread like this one I fail to see 2 things listed. Its impossible to leave them at home, but some are better than others. And I'm talking about you brain and your skills - they are the 2 most important tools you have. So make sure you are well trained and well practiced ! Gear can make things easier, but if you do not possess the training and skills to use your gear properly, then its all for naught.
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but...if you don't have a brain, hard to work on those skills.

I have a roll of tie wire, like the kind you tie up rebar with, and it is one of the handiest things you can have for quick repairs. It is stronger than duct tape and Ty-Raps, and if you want it stronger you just use a few more wraps. And it is way cheaper than rope when you are tying together a shelter!

Since this thread is still going I thought I'd add a couple of things.

Hangers, the wire kind, have many uses.
    Making shelter.
    Hanging pots.
    Holding snares in place.
    Making a gig.
    Awl.
    Knitting needles.
    Making a grill or spit (if you burn off the paint).

Also the new style pet food bags, the large plastic ones. They have a string mesh covered by plastic, much stronger than emergency blankets. If the ends are rolled up and clipped they make a completely waterproof bag.
    Backpack.
    Pillow/mattress.
    Emergency rain wear.
    Emergency tarp/shelter (using more than 1).
    Foraging.
    Storing water (several gallons).
    Umbrella.
    Waterproof cover for a pack.

Earlier someone asked about uses for fish hooks, other than fishing. Catching birds, carefully straightened; spear ends for frogs, snare sets for wire (small game), also for needles, as mentioned, but I'd rather use my needle. As for sutures, be sure you clean debris from wounds, but I carry silk thread, 90 proof alcohol in straws, and a suture thread. Have had the need before and Dr. Said I did well with it. Just remember if you need to stitch it, you need to cover it; and most importantly! Get medical attention as soon as possible! The worst thing you can do in that is spend a few bucks to have Dr. Say "good job!"

Deli meat container -- the kind which is a flat, two-piece, semi-hard plastic box. When closed they are pretty waterproof and light weight.

They are the right size to fit neatly in a backpack. I have several for things like an expanded sewing kit, topo maps holder, first aid items, firestarter/tinder box, small tool box (hex keys, small screwdriver, small crescent wrench), holder for packets of coffee, tea, salt and pepper and other seasonings),etc.

In an emergency, can be used to collect/carry/hold water.

Free, after eating the meat.

I know this is cheating, but a multi-tool?

Mine includes a hammer, saw, shovel, pickaxe, and an axe. It all fits in a nice pouch and you what you do is replace one part for another on the handle. (It uses a pin and bolt system) Very helpful. Sorry I can't remember who it is made by.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil K View Post
    I know this is cheating, but a multi-tool?

Mine includes a hammer, saw, shovel, pickaxe, and an axe. It all fits in a nice pouch and you what you do is replace one part for another on the handle. (It uses a pin and bolt system) Very helpful. Sorry I can't remember who it is made by.
    So how do you like this tool?....
    Have seen them around, but have been afraid to spend any money on something that may or may not be the best tool for the job.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27