Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-use items!

Ummmm. It was in response to Noah's first post. I just thought with a screen name like that he was forgetting something.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by sh4d0wm4573ri7 View Post
    although for years duct tape ruled and aint knockin it a bit, however there's a new kid in town his name is gorilla tape and my fellow outdoorsmen there is not much of a comparison gorilla tape is the new rule in my book checkit out see for yourself/.
    I have to second that, I used it for the first time at work last week and this stuff rocks.

Super glue=> for wound closure and fixes on broken items

While medical grade super glue works well, it's not something I take to the field with me. That's one of those products that if things go south you're in a real mess. If you puncture the tube or accidentally get some on your pack then touch it you're stuck. And something has to give to get loose. Either your pack or your skin. I keep that stuff at home where I have access to acetone. And trust me, it wouldn't be the first time I've had to use acetone.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thats why you put it in a plastic medicine bottle for protection and from working on a many of commercial fishing vessles for weeks at a time there aren't any doctors around and wound closure is really important to prevent infections.

Anything twisted to make a suture is a bad idea...the texture makes a breeding ground for bacteria. Try to only use monofilament for stitches, if you really want to suture.

Vicks Vapo Rub. It feels nice on aching joints and muscles, relieves head cold symptoms, and works just as well as Vaseline on a cotton ball for fire starting.

fish hooks, knife, cotton balls, cordage, magnifying lens...these are a few off the top of my head...fish hooks can be used as needles for clothes and your self as well as fishin'...cotton balls are great for wounds, cleaning weapons, starting fires...cordage can help make shelter, act as tourniquet, help in climbing, crossing rivers...magnifying lens can help you see , start fires, cuaterize wounds...
    Last edited by andre_lambert; 05-31-2012 at 09:47 AM.

corn chips, hatchet, fish line, grease,...these are a few more things with multi uses...you can eat corn chips and start fires, hatchet can chop trees for food and shelter and be used as a hammer or heated to cauterize wounds, fish line can catch food and use to suture wounds repair damaged clothes, grease can block sun and cold it can be used for cookin' and to pack wounds and start fires...
    Last edited by andre_lambert; 05-31-2012 at 09:51 AM.

One hour and a great thread, and the only thing I have to offer are tampons. Good for fire, purifying water (kinda), blowing coals, wounds, arrow fletchings and a water proof seal.

Quote Originally Posted by rednakel View Post
    Vicks Vapo Rub. It feels nice on aching joints and muscles, relieves head cold symptoms, and works just as well as Vaseline on a cotton ball for fire starting.
    Also stops mosquito bites from itching.

I completely missed this thread.

AL - You have got be kidding, right? You would NEVER cauterize a wound. That would give two injuries. A cut and a burn. You would never pack grease in a wound. In fact, you would never pack anything into a wound. There are times when a wound may need to be packed with gauze to prevent an abscess (healing outside but not inside) and to remove exudate (dead cells and fluid) until the wound heals. But let a doctor do the work.

I'm also curious how many wounds you've stitched up with fishing line?

I strongly urge you to take a qualified first aid course.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by andre_lambert View Post
    fish line can catch food and use to suture wounds repair damaged clothes...
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

When I get a hold of the guy what did this to me....!

You can also use leeches and maggots for eating away infection!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureDoc View Post
    Very good info Rick! Thanks! I had not thought of many of those. You mentioned permanganate and I have heard of this for a fire starter, antibiotic, water purifier. Where does one buy this? Anybody got a source?

Thanks!
    Hey, Doc! I Googled Potassium permanganate and found a place called The Chemical Store. I ordered a couple of small vials (appx 1/2 oz) for just a few bucks each. Good service. I carry these with Fleet glycerine ampoules for an alternate fire starter. Caution: Store/carry KMNO4 and glycerine as far separately as possible.

God Ilove this stuff

Medical grade maggots can be used for debriding necrotic skin. Leech therapy is used to promote blood flow to damaged tissue or re-attached appendages. Their saliva has an anti coagulant that increases blood flow and prevents clotting. They, too, are medical grade.

Delta - AdventureDoc hasn't logged on in 2 years. I doubt he'll see your post.

So how do they get to be medical grade.......Med school?

I just try to just cover it and pack out to med attention, so don't carry this stuff.
    If you don't know what you are doing you can do a lot more damage than if left alone.

Our old retired Navy Nurse, on duty at our factory when asked for advice......

If you can't see it give them an aspirin.....
    If you can, wash it with soap and water, and put a bandaid on it.......
    If it won't stop bleeding, apply direct pressure, and call 911
    Above all "don't do harm'.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I found a cigar cutter on the beach the other day. Its light and really sharp. So I think i may throw it in my pack, i guess if i ever lost a knife or something, i could use it to cut ropes, strike my ferrorod. i dont know really. just thought it would be out of the ordinary to have it in my pack and I dont smoke cigars so yah. may aswell
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    So how do they get to be medical grade.
    First, they have to score well on their SATs. Then they have to take the MCAT their junior year in college. They should be involved in community and, finally, keep those grades up! Once they get accepted to a medical school they are on their way to medical grade.

Another thing I would add is a Shemagh / keffiyeh but I guess it really just has the same use as a bandana. Just a bigger version.
    "I would rather live in dangerous freedom than I would peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
    "The purpose of life is a life with a purpose, so i'd rather die for a cause than live a life that is worthless." - Immortal Technique