Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-use items!

These micro hand drills are great. I get mine from the welding supply shop to repair torch tips. The little drill has taken the place of my awl. From leather work to making antler buttons it works wonderfully. I've recently added one to my first aid kit. I smashed my thumb and got a painful blue spot under the nail. I sanitized the smallest included bit and carefully drilled thru my nail. The resulting relief in pressure was amazing. Afterwords i resealed the nail with a drop of super glue. I'm not advising anyone to do this themselves. I am simply telling you what I did. The drill comes with 6 bits from 1/16" and down. It's about the size of an ink pen and weighs as much. I pay around $8 each locally.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Well why not?

Okay, maybe I missed this one....

Superglue. We used to call it the knife fighters friend. Works great for sealing cuts, even fairly deep ones. Still have the 3 inch scar on my arm for proof. Actually the scar isn't as obvious as ones that I had stitched.

Duct tape. This was called the gunfighters friend. Great cover for bullet wound. But, still need medical assistance....

How about if you're shot through the lung with no exit wound. Hard to breath. Cellophane from a cigarette pack, or any plastic to cover the wound. Keeps air from being sucked through the hole and makes breathing easier. Again, seek medical assistance....

Lastly, just keep your eyes open. If it looks interesting and the price is right, pick it up. I was in CVS pharmacy and for .99 I picked up one of those compartmentalized 7 day pill holder. Didn't know what for, until I got home. This thing has squared bins and each holds 4 rounds of .32acp. Perfect way to carry 28 spare rounds in my butt pack when hiking.
    You are your dog's best friend....

ok i think i mentioned this before, but tallow candles (they're edible too)

Maybe in your world. Tallow....yuck!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

if you get hungry enough or have nuthin' but rabbit....

also, it can be used as frying grease

Okay. I'll go with the grease. I'll plop the rabbit in the grease.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    SnipAR-10, I think you need to read this whole thread (pages 1 to 15), plus another thread here on multi use items, so you don't wind up posting that's been posted before. Just for your own knowledge.
    With real life obligations, I am usually not able to spend the time needed to read some threads in their entirety. Mostly turns out to be small bits here and there. Even so, I figured the info I posted might be useful to someone somewhere.

OH. Tennecedar, That drill piece looks pretty useful to me also. Another technique to relive the pressure from underneath a fingernail is to use a paperclip, or other thin piece of wire. Heat it almost to red hot, and it will burn a nice clean hole through the fingernail without any pressure from drilling. Done this a few times to myself in the past, and oh boy does that pressure release make a difference for comfort.
    Last edited by SnipAR-10; 04-26-2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: forgot to add the fingernail part *self-administers dope-slap*

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

You can add another use for a knife. I have always put the point on the black or blood spot and spun the blade in a 1/2 arc. Always have a knife and it is easier to control. Could have a multi-use thread or book on uses for a knife.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i use bandans for cordage, filters,bandages,nets,wringing oil from nuts,and to carry food
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Uh, probably not. Like you said. That's a lot of stuff.

Has anybody mentioned "pencil?"

Write with it, keep the shavings as you sharpen it, and it gradually turns into fire-starting material. The painted surface helps keep the pencil wood dry.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Blog Entries

Multi-use condom. Introducing the rain hat use:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Home Depot paint bucket. A friend had the idea and uses them for storage. So we brainstormed the following uses.

chair
    food storage
    water collection
    flotation device (he says it's water proof)
    signaling device (it's Home Depot orange)
    animal trap

Seems like there was a couple more, but I can't remember at the moment.
    Surviving the Fellini Kroger since 1993

Is this the one?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Yep, that's the one.
    Surviving the Fellini Kroger since 1993

A bike has a lot of uses. You could dismantle it and use the tires for signaling for some help by burning them, the spokes could be tied on a stick to create a spear, the little elastic bands can be used as emergency rope, and a lot of other things.

.....or you could ride it to safety.....just saying.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah, but what if you're stranded? Like, the tires are flat or the chain spontaneously combusted?

Then quickly use the spontaneous combusted chain to set the flat tires on fire for a signal fire. Viola! Rescued.

Well, there's always that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel