Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-use items!

And do you put a Halligan Tool in your pack or just tote it like a rifle?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

For those not familiar with the Halligan Tool ---- from Wiki ---- A Halligan bar (also called a Halligan tool) is a special tool commonly used in the fire and rescue service. It was designed by and named after Hugh Halligan, a First Deputy Fire Chief in the New York City Fire Department, in 1948, based upon the well known Kelly tool.[1] The Halligan is a multipurpose tool for prying, twisting, punching, or striking. It consists of a claw (or fork), a blade (wedge or adze), and a tapered pick, which is especially useful in quickly forcing open many types of locked doors. Either the adze end or fork end of the tool can be used to break through the latch of a swinging door by forcing the tool between the door and door jamb and prying the two apart, striking it with another Halligan, a Denver tool or a flat-head axe. Using a K-tool and the adze end, a lock cylinder can easily be pulled. There are many other uses of the Halligan tool, including vehicle extrication and opening of walls.

Now, don't be a Hooligan - head on over to the introduction section and tell us about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

At a minimum pocket knife and duct tape. I swear you can fix anything with it

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well, that just conjured up all kinds of curiosity on my part. Sterile huh? I just happen to have an un-opened six pack of Crest dental floss. No where does the word "sterile" appear. I'd sure like to see your source on that.
    Some is, some isn't I have Kimberly-Clark that is sterile and says so on the box. J&J used to be, but don't know right now. Nowadays I have a suture kit I bought in Tijuana Mexico, so I hope I never have to sew myself back up with floss...
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

a simple multitool has multilple applications, though not exactly sure if that's what your looking for. Another one is the .22 caliber bullet. It's easy to pull the lead tip off and utilize the gun powder to start a fire with a flint striker. My personal favorite i would have to say is 7 strand paracord. It has so many applications that you would only be limited by your own imagination.

Blog Entries

Cool Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by minuteman View Post
    My personal favorite i would have to say is 7 strand paracord. It has so many applications that you would only be limited by your own imagination.
    Have you read this whole Sticky? We've covered 550 cord to death!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Most any item has multiple uses governed only by ones imagination and needs
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

Heres one for ya , a discarded can which we all know are everywhere these days:
    reflector for signal and fire, cooking vessel, candle lantern, water cup, fishing lure, makeshift blade, etc
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

Another use for dental floss/thread is a wind checker tied to your gun barrel or bow when hunting.

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

Default Bringing the honey as medicine back to the front

Having worked in the industry in the past: http://www.dadant.com/
    I learned long ago of the medicinal properties of honey:http://www.drgrotte.com/honey-medicine.shtml
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony uk View Post
    You can fix anything with duct tape and a hammer.
    Except for a crystal wine glass.
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Brass wire (copper wire, stainless steel)

fire starter (two small strips inserted into the bulb socket of a mini mag light. Not LED version)
    Would you expand on this please? What will it burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Brazito View Post
    It will burn your house down if you have some tinder, some dried branches, some bigger dried branches and some logs. Or just some tinder and gasoline...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Itll burn steel wool so fast you better be ready with another tinder type or poof,its gone

- Any type of string or wire (dental floss, parachute cord, cords on my backpack).
    - piece of hard plastic (for traps, fishing hooks, preparing food if it's sharpened)

That's stuff I find useful and I can't think of any more stuff this fast
    For lots of wilderness survival, visit www.surviveinnature.com!

Whew! Took me two days to read the entire list but it was a fine introduction to you folks. Definitely some good humor along with some great ideas, from garbage bags for thread to potassium permanganate for signaling on snow (yes, I read the warning section, I just found it fascinating, that's all).

Two things that came to mind for me were suggestions from friends of mine that do adventure racing.

Regarding surgical tubing, a 6-10' section can be used to tie the sternum strap of a slower teammate to the pack of a faster teammate to increase the overall speed. Since it's elastic in nature, it doesn't jerk and lengthens the stride of the second runner or rider (can be used on the bike as well, although directly between the bikes not the riders) enough to bring their speed up significantly without adding to their fatigue. I've tried it on the bike once and it worked brilliantly when a friend's derailleur broke and we couldn't bodge together his chain well enough to ride out under his own power. Didn't work on the steep climbs (we feared it would snap) but worked well on the flats and mild stuff.

Regarding space blankets, cutting them up if you have to keep moving so they cover your arms, legs and torso when you're underdressed is a great way to keep warm on the fly. tuck the top and bottom into your waste and socks or shirt sleeve and close the rest up with duct tape or electrical tape. You could probably do the same thing with trash bags or sheets of plastic (visqueen).

Ok. Here's a couple:

Bicycle innertube:
    Canteen (remove valve. beach cruiser tubes good for this, rinse out the powder first)
    Cut across to make "ranger bands" (rubber bands, but thicker, any width)
    Cut into strips to make lashings/wrappings for tools, knives, spears, walking sticks etc.
    Flotation device
    sling or slingshot band (not great for slingshot band but would be allright for a Hawaiian type spear band)
    sling for broken arm/wrist support
    Cut a length and stretch over tool handles or pistols for a cheap grip enhancer.(works great on pistols where you want a better grip, but without bulk)

Folding E-tool (shovel)
    dig/scrape/light prying
    root cutting (your results may vary)
    Light machete type cutting (haven't tried it myself but it's supposed to work)
    weapon (ever see the russian manual of arms for a shovel?)
    "ranger seat" Short explanation: unfold shovel into the 90degree locked position. Place "D" flat of handle on ground while having back of spade against the rear/middle of your thigh. Useful when. er.. Pooping. Requires a bit of balancing. Can be done with the pointed end of the spade facing in, or out. (Pointing inward isn't too bad, just requires a slight lean towards one side. Pointing out allows more stability, but the handle can become...hmm... "soiled" if you're not careful. Also, an edge-sharpened one is NOT recommended for this use.) Try the sitting technique with pants-up and you'll get the idea.

SnipAR-10, I think you need to read this whole thread (pages 1 to 15), plus another thread here on multi use items, so you don't wind up posting that's been posted before. Just for your own knowledge.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Default Mini Mag fire starting

The usual method is to use 000 or finer steel wool as it will burn nicely.
    -Sam