Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-use items!

one of the most useful things on a bike is making a slingshot from the tyres and the front forks. island kids I used to know would put ball sinkers thru street signs at 15m with those things.

condoms, you can braid em for bands. Wont last forever but hey... if they did most of us wouldn't be here, right? :d

It tastes awful but you can also use inner tubes as water storage, and wear it over your shoulder. Wrap with cloth or grass to insulate from solar heat unless you want ah ot shower later that day. The cables from brakes etc make fine snares and fishing trace, spokes you can weave and fold with pliers into a passable grill. The tyres on wide tracked rides like mountain bikes can be made into tolerable sandals.

Cellphones... actually pretty interesting things. The steel case models you can pop the front panel and with a little snapping and rubbing on a stone make a passable fishhook from the edge of the faceplate around the screen. The battery pack often has a holographic decal which when fixed to a sliver of metal or bamboo makes a good spinning lure. You can recharge the packs off anything with a similar voltage and ampage and even with no service, it's still a useful light. Battery cells make a moderately loud pop when you put them in a fire, maybe useful for scaring animals away from camp for the night. Or maybe not

Also the recharge cord can be used for snares, cordage, the copper can be stripped and used for other things and the little pins if they have holes in em can be used as lures, or weights.

bank cards hold a decent edge for prepping veggies etc, and can be heat moulded into other shapes.

a lightweight flashlight or torch even when out of batteries and without a bulb can still be used for storing prepared foods, anything you want to keep fairly dry and the clicking button can beu sed for communication between hunters working together so prey is not spooked by human voices.
    my sense of self approval is bigger than yours. and I chose to be born in the most stupid country ever.

Just going with the "things in my pockets" thing... house keys (okay, anyone on this site has more gear on their keyring than most people have in their toolbox, mine has a small razor sharp folder and a magnifying lens and I take things easy, hah) can make dart or arrow heads with some grinding, older barrel style keys can make very good awls and reamers with some touch ups and if you have a carkey where the light flashes when you press it, even without the car you can signal quite a distance on a dark night or use it in pitch black to get SOME kind of light ...albeit it a one inch circle of it at a two inch distance, but better than rug burn anyway. Three heavyish keys and some cord makes you a lightweight bola for small prey. The keyring can be heated, sliced with downward blow with a stone or timber into a (preferably not your only) knifeblade across its diameter and then heated-bent into fishhooks or birdhooks.

Often found in bags, gloveboxes etc are personal care things like deodorant or cologne, soaps and tissue. tissue is so obvious I'm not going into it Soaps, obvious hygeine, also good bait for freshwater crays and rodents. Make enough of a lather and throw it into a small pond and it will deprive fishies of a lot of oxygen making them easier to spear or scoop. You can turn some soaps into very crude candles, and can be used to lubricate gear.

The cologne, if the aerosol kind obviously it's flammable, somewhat antiseptic (if painful), the can itself is for toolmaking and the base can be polished to a parabolic reflector. If the roll on kind, those balls float pretty well. And the stuff inside is usually rich in aluminium compounds identical to those used in "stopsticks" for shaving cuts, as well as "stop itch' products for insect bites. You can also spray a TINY bit of solvent based sprays onto tinder or a candle wick and just the spark from a dead Bic will ignite it... many, many lights in a can with an old lighter on hand.

Tampons are notoriously popular with moonshiners for final polishing and filtering... combined with charcoal, aeriation etc they could form part of a crude water treatment system. Plain cotton, for preference.

Remember to that you can pull just about any fabric apart into individual strands for stitching wounds, braiding, making snares, fishing lines, bird nets etc.

Oh, and eyelets on boots and bags are handy for sizing natural cordage as you make it, if you want a very consistent product. If you have to discard boots, keep the soles and as much lace as you can and make sandals.

Anything plastic you have can also be melted (unless its thermoset, of course) and used for repairs, plugging holes, a fast n dirty adhesive.

pens, pencils, obvious sharp implements. Avoid using your only blade as a spearhead, fire hardened timber points have served hundreds of cultures perfectly well for millenia and they didn't have to kick emselves in the bum when they lost/snapped/chipped their only blade.

Clothing (especially among sensible outdoor and hardworking types) usually has some areas where you can remove the lining and leave the exterior (preferably at end of winter!). use this to make a carrybag, a water screen, slit and stretch like security mesh for a crude net and pockets can be saved from worn out clothes for pouches or mittens.
    my sense of self approval is bigger than yours. and I chose to be born in the most stupid country ever.

hot glue sticks are a great thing to have use a flame as a glue gun and u can have an easy to carry glue to fix any broken or torn gear i.e. water bladder torn tent or whatever

[QUOTE=mbarnatl;12733]- zip lock bags
    - 550 cord
    - snare wire
    - aluminum foil
    - surgical tubing
    - dental floss
    - sewing needles
    - safety pins
    - flexible cable ties
    - sewing thread
    dont need dental floss you use the inside strings for the 550 cord

Blog Entries

Cool Hey dude!

[quote=survivalpro#4;215163]
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    - zip lock bags
    - 550 cord
    - snare wire
    - aluminum foil
    - surgical tubing
    - dental floss
    - sewing needles
    - safety pins
    - flexible cable ties
    - sewing thread
    dont need dental floss you use the inside strings for the 550 cord
    How about an intro?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I thought I'd let everyone know that if you have a Coleman propane lantern the Bernzomatic propane cylinders will fit them. It might be a bit intuitive but you might not think about them if something happens. The threads are the same.
    On the same note, the green Coleman camping cylinders will also fit a Benzomatic trigger-start torch. I keep one in my camping box for when everything is wet from a hard rain. Works like a champ.

- Match Box
    - Torch
    - Water bottle
    - Trash bags.
    - Duct tape.
    - Walking staff(s).
    - Zip lock bags
    - Snare wire
    - Aluminum foil
    - Surgical tubing
    - Dental floss
    - Sewing needles
    - Safety pins
    - Flexible cable ties
    - Sewing thread
    - Food
    - Gun

Hey there polkmartine - I suspect that this suggestion will go unheeded, but I'll try anyway. How about telling us a bit about yourself in the Introduction section. It's a long way from Mumbai, so I provided a link to make it easier. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And a glance through the threads would help. All of those things are listed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Oh I suspect that the next activity will be adding a signature that wants to sell us something that we can't live without. Either that, or they forgot on the first go around. See what happens when you outsource all of your spamming to India. There are plenty of folks out of work here that could spam just as easily.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So rude. No intro. Doesn't read the threads. And spam. I'll do better, I promise.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I may have posted this one in another thread, but it's a good one.

Take an MRE pouch and cut off the very top with scissors (for a clean cut).
    Fold the top over about an inch or so and slide a plastic clip on it to create a really good waterproof bag/pouch.

I use the plastic clips that come on clear report covers. Office Depot sells pack of a heavy duty ones that are perfect. The clip is strong and won't come off easily. Anything you want to keep dry like a wallet, cell phone, GPS ect. fits inside and it's totally waterproof. It will even float with something like a GPS inside if you don't squeeze out the air!

Blog Entries

35mm cans? I'm curious on their purpose.
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

There are several suggestions in this thread.

Brightly colored duct tape can be used to wrap around branches or trees to mark trails.

EDIT: whoa. I didn't notice there were 18 pages to this thread.
    Last edited by xj2000; 05-10-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    BEND OVER - Here comes the "change"

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

Impressive stuff here. The information and the aspect were just wonderful. I think that your viewpoint is deep, it’s just well thought out and truly incredible to see someone who knows how to put these thoughts so well. Good job!

Oh, yea, yea, sure. We're deep like that. By the way, the next time you decide to put up your picture it probably shouldn't have that StockPhoto watermark on it. What a chump. Good catch, Sarge.

Why nor just lock this down and start over???????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My trusty Leatherman.....nuff said!