Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-use items!

Sort of like chips with the dip on the inside.....Yuch!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Excuse me while I go vomit about something else.
    *hurl*

Whad I say? Whad I say?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What about hand sanitizer? Instead of vaseline-soaked cotton balls, I keep a 1.5 oz bottle of Germ-X (62% Ethyl Alcohol) in my kit. (Since I hump it in, space and weight are at a premium.)

Uses:

1. Clean hands prior to eating/prepping food and after you drop deuce off the trail (general health)

2. Antiseptic treatment for cuts 'n scrapes (first aid)

3. Field expedient sterilization for knife/razor blade or stitching needle (first aid - if you don't have heat or fire)

4. Fire starter - even on damp tinder (the alcohol suspension burns slow and dries out the tinder before igniting it. Careful, burns with a clear flame. Don't go checking it with your finger to see if it is lit.)

Nice tip LostOutrider.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Suggested item to cover, surprised nobody has read Douglas Adams here; Towel.

Pretty much everything socks, bandanas. and gauze can do, a towel can.
    Hat
    Sun shade/micro tarp
    clothes patch if you've got sewing kit
    Attitude adjuster for children (*pop*)
    Filter for floaties and grit in water
    loincloth (with belt/rope etc.)
    Sack/hobo bag
    Fish gripper
    Field expedient cloth glove

Blog Entries

And reusable TP if ya wash it out.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Whew! I was just worried what you were gonna say Beo, when you say that list and he had loincloth and sack listed next to each other.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Maybe its a sac cloth or loincloth for your sac
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Snare wire: 1: use in place of 550 cord when building a shelter.
    2: tie up your muffler after you broke it loose 4 wheeling.
    3: use to make drying rack for jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Are you ready? Walking Staff!
    I put a Cold-Steel Bushman on my walking staff (it's legal here in WA State). Then covered that end with findged leather, to look "native"

Default Tea Tree Oil ( Melaleuca Oil )

A bit redundant since I already mentioned it elsewhere, but Tea Tree Oil definitely seems to belong in this thread. Uses:

1. Moisturizer
    2. Antiseptic
    3. Antifungal
    4. Insect Repellent
    5. Shaving Oil
    6. Burn Treatment
    7. Bite Treatment
    8. Acne Treatment
    9. Fuel Source
    10. Lubricating Oil
    11. Mouth Wash
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

Did anyone mention the lid or bottom a coffee can? Sorry I didn't read through all the stuff.

Uses:
    Knife
    Scraping tool
    Frying/cooking surface
    Spatula/cooking tool
    Punch a bunch of holes in it and you have a cheese grater

I dunno....whatever else you have use for a round sharp piece of metal.

BuckyBadger

Snake

You can eat all of it except the head if it's venomous, you can use its venom to tip arrows (it works with the right snake), you can use its skin for cordage or anything you might use a strip of leather for, you can hold water in the skin, and in the Mexico episode of Man vs Wild, Bear Grylls had to pee into a snakeskin and drink from it.

Don't drink pee!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyBadger View Post
    Snake

You can eat all of it except the head if it's venomous, you can use its venom to tip arrows (it works with the right snake), you can use its skin for cordage or anything you might use a strip of leather for, you can hold water in the skin, and in the Mexico episode of Man vs Wild, Bear Grylls had to pee into a snakeskin and drink from it.
    Bear is just sick that way,personally,I think he just enjoys drinking pee,and is trying to recruit more people into his sick way of thinking.....
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Bear is just sick that way,personally,I think he just enjoys drinking pee,and is trying to recruit more people into his sick way of thinking.....
    this was on the news back in Aug or Sept, Bear spent many nights in a motel when he said he was sleeping in the out back, his camera crew ratted him out, he does know what he's doing most of the time but sometimes you can see that it's staged when he walks thru deep grass without looking, there are copperheads and timber rattlers around here and none on my land but i still keep my eyes open when in tall grass and brush in case no one told the snake that he's trespassing.

Default About those stitches

Dental floss works very well for stitches. I sewed my hand with it in Mexico after figuring out I couln't get fishing line through the needle... Bonus... It's sterile.

Another thing I carry is 100lbs. test braided Dacron fishing line. Very light and small and a myriad of uses so you can save the 550 for where it's really needed.

Also, Binder clips are great as tarp clamps, rope stops, or for fixing torn clothing. you can pull the 'handle' off, straighten it and use it for a poker/awl/hook as it's some tough wire. I have been known to put them on the edge of a pot to use as a handle too.
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Quote Originally Posted by Badawg
    Bonus... It's sterile
    Well, that just conjured up all kinds of curiosity on my part. Sterile huh? I just happen to have an un-opened six pack of Crest dental floss. No where does the word "sterile" appear. I'd sure like to see your source on that.

Halligan Tool

(for those of you who don't know what it is... it's like a crowbar except modified for firemen and emergency personnel.)