Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving Home

It's pretty discouraging seeing all the sarcasm and negativity after my first thread. I can only reiterate that it sucks being poked fun of like this. I'm asking for help, and I at least expected some respect from experienced outdoors men like you guys.

And to clear the school thing up, I don't intend on missing any high school.
    I will leave for summer, about 3 months, and most likely hike the Appalachian trail South to North (starting around Charlottesville), returning for my senior year.

Got distracted a bit late but here it is.

Ya, got to agree with Sarge, Finish school. Not because he is "The Grand Emperor, The All Wise, The All knowing, Intergalactic Wizard of Wilderness Survival" or any one else is for that matter. Some of these guys are the ones who go out on search and rescue or recover. Prepared or unprepared S**T happens. When it does, prepared is better.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by conbuch View Post
    It's pretty discouraging seeing all the sarcasm and negativity after my first thread. I can only reiterate that it sucks being poked fun of like this. I'm asking for help, and I at least expected some respect from experienced outdoors men like you guys.

And to clear the school thing up, I don't intend on missing any high school.
    I will leave for summer, about 3 months, and most likely hike the Appalachian trail South to North (starting around Charlottesville), returning for my senior year.
    oh, well a summer trip, thats ok,, my advice, take a cell phone and a GPS transponder,

I am serious- chase your dreams....follow your bliss!

I did pretty much what your talking about, traveled extensively in wild places all around the world. If you can dream it- you can do it. It'll be awesome, just go for it.

Man, I'm not dissin' you. I'm trying to help you out. Have you acquired a map of the trail? Have you figured out how you are going to be resupplied? There are a lot of folk festivals that take place throughout the summer but sidestepping to see them will take some serious time out of your hiking.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here's a thought, check out Appellation Trail Conservancy. There might be a program that would suit you.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site.../Volunteer.htm
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Banned

Ya got to admit, your first post gives the impression you are a kid running away from home, just sayin,

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Are you wanting to do the Appalachian Trail? You could easily get a bunch of it in (or all of it depending on how good a hiker you are) and still be close to civilization should anything happen or you decide to call it quits. But whatever you do, you won't do it without money. Going as far as your checkbook will get you will put behind the 8 ball.
    For the most part yes, I planned on staying around the Appalachian trail (for your reason exactly). This being my first time alone, I don't want to be too ignorant and go without any exit strategy.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think Rick has another excellent idea. try hiking the appalachian trail. I hear it's beautiful. Some areas are pretty remote.
    If I had one suggestion, you need some wildly varying skills.. think about what it will take to survive, and how you will procure those items and skills, then practice. I don't know if you have any friends who are interested (I don't) but it can be a lot of fun group activities. You need lots of practice before you head out or you will really realize just how much you wish you knew.. seems the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. Hiking the trail will give you a good idea as to terrain, fauna and flora, and resource locations.
    I sure wish I had done that when I was your age, rather than settling for a mediocre job and family life... Only 7 more years till the youngest young'un is grown so I've got lots of time to practice. I applaud your entheusiasm, but I do wish you'd postpone your departure for at least a year or two to study up on the plants and identify your resources beforehand.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Ya got to admit, your first post gives the impression you are a kid running away from home, just sayin,
    It sure did. Now he's only talking about going on an extended hike.

Maybe we brought him back to reality a bit. Or maybe the drugs are wearing off. Who knows.......
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Truthfully, the AT is hard enough with resupplies. Trying to do it as a survival gig is going to suck, I think. If you have someone that can resupply you then they can send parcels ahead of you to the Postmast at a given post office. The post master will hold the package for you for something like a week. I don't remember for sure now. But you'll need a new pair of boots and plenty of food. You'll need money, too. You'll want to stay a night or two at some of the hostels along the way. You might want to attend some of the folk festivals. Money is a good thing even on the AT.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Maybe one of the Mods can change the title of this thread from "Leaving Home" to "Going Hiking." Just sayin'.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

conbuch, have you shared any of your dreams with your parents and what do they think about it all?
    Do you have any friends with similar interests? Would any of them like to join you on this 3 month adventure or are you planing on going by yourself?

There's a book I'd like to recommend. (please don't be put off by the title!) It's by Stephen King, titled The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It's an engrossing read and you'll get a lot out of it.
    Good luck.

He's the OP. We can certainly change it if he wants.

You do need to understand that it started out like you were making a quick exit. So if you were getting some guff that's probably why.

I've been on the Conservancy site for awhile now, checking out shuttles and trailheads, etc.

But I'm really leaving the hiking aspect up to how I feel.
    I'll always be happy hiking the trail, and if any events come around and I want to check them out, I sure will do so.

As for resupply, I do have the map marking the stations and I've read "A Walk in the Woods", regarding the Appalachian trail. I've also checked out multiple books on edibles and bare minimum survival.

By no means do I expect books to provide me with everything I need, but they never hurt.

Conbuch - I know that you are reading some things that you don't want to see, and they seem harsh - as you said. Think about it like this - if words on a forum are too harsh and going to deter you from your goals (goal of getting information), then wait until you see what Mother Nature can dish up. I wish you well on you trip. There has been some good advice. Are your parents in agreement with your plans?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I know you said you've done scouts so I'm guessing your First Aid is up to par. You'll want a small but really good first aid kit and certainly some way to filter water on the AT. You WILL come down with Giardia drinking the water raw out there. Even if you choose to boil it, that's better than than doing it raw.

Yeah, I can understand why shots were taken and all.
    But I'm not looking for a quick way out of school, or just angsty about parents.
    I've put a good amount of thought into this, and prepare to follow through.

As for parents, no to all.
    I know for a fact that they would not support me leaving at all for an extended period of time. Asking for their permission is not something I'm going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I know you said you've done scouts so I'm guessing your First Aid is up to par. You'll want a small but really good first aid kit and certainly some way to filter water on the AT. You WILL come down with Giardia drinking the water raw out there. Even if you choose to boil it, that's better than than doing it raw.
    What kind of method would you recommend? Tablets, pump, natural filters?

have you thought about an extended canoe trip?