Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving Home

Default Leaving Home

Please, before you attempt to talk me out of it or convince me otherwise, I'm only looking for helpful tips and guides.

I'm a teenager. 17 years old, living in a rich conservative lakeside town. I take it upon myself to follow what my heart intends, rather than my ego. I don't want to grow up and go through highschool, then college, get a steady job, and live normally. I want to give inspiration for others to break norm and be free, find a part of myself in the woods, and stay out there for awhile. I don't have much in way of plans, so this is where I start. Im a pretty experienced hiker, have a nice backpack that's been with me for years, lightweight gear, and an above basic knowledge of nature.

I'd love to hear from others who've done this, or people who have extensive experience outdoors.

Right now, my basic starting thoughts are to get down to the Appalachians from SE Michigan.

As for a time frame, who knows.

Thanks a bunch for help guys.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to refer you to NativeDude and Sourdough's posts regarding Wilderness living. they are stickies at the top so you should have no trouble in finding them. Once you've had a chance to peruse the insight that people who live out there (I mean out there), stop by the introduction section and tell us a little more about yourself. We'd love to hear more about your background and fun stuff you've done. This is a very welcoming group and I'm sure you'll find all you want or at least be pointed in the right direction to find the info you seek.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

How about an introduction? You just joined today it would seem. May be easier to help when we know a bit about you
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Conbuch, Not a bad intro. I can guess that you maybe have been reading before your first post. You have made a great start by your honesty and offering a bit about your age and experience. Your statement of not forcing yourself into a time frame is commendable and should receive respect from this forum. The wisdom and knowledge in this forum can be of great benefit to you as it has ben for me.

You are young (me 46) you have the luxury of doing things by learning and preparing for your goal instead of the stress of "I'll figure it out along the way. That has gotten people injured even dead. I don't think I'm exaggerating.

I live in Appalachia country. It is a beautiful part of the country. The climate were I live can get as cold as Chicago were I moved from. Since December i've seen days in the low teens and up to nearly 60, we live in a valley and weather can get strange.

Here is a link to the Buckhannon WV. town profile. I offer this because at the bottom of the page there is weather data. You can do this for many cities around the US and find info on its general climate. This can give you an Idea of the climate in an area you may be considering.
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Buckha...-Virginia.html

Read, ask questions, get answers and refine your questions. This is only one great place to learn.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conbuch View Post
    Please, before you attempt to talk me out of it or convince me otherwise, I'm only looking for helpful tips and guides.

I'm a teenager. 17 years old, living in a rich conservative lakeside town. I take it upon myself to follow what my heart intends, rather than my ego. I don't want to grow up and go through highschool, then college, get a steady job, and live normally. I want to give inspiration for others to break norm and be free, find a part of myself in the woods, and stay out there for awhile. I don't have much in way of plans, so this is where I start. Im a pretty experienced hiker, have a nice backpack that's been with me for years, lightweight gear, and an above basic knowledge of nature.

I'd love to hear from others who've done this, or people who have extensive experience outdoors.

Right now, my basic starting thoughts are to get down to the Appalachians from SE Michigan.

As for a time frame, who knows.

Thanks a bunch for help guys.
    You're sh!tting us, right?

Will you be bringing daddy's American Express Card with you? You shouldn't leave home without it, you know.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

ALL I CAN DO IS LAUGH MY A@@ OFF, ok thats gotta be one of the resident jokesters. My guess is Rick or Sourdough ?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Ok maybe not just googled him and he has a face book page so I retract my previous gusee and will still stick with LMAO
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You're sh!tting us, right?

Will you be bringing daddy's American Express Card with you? You shouldn't leave home without it, you know.
    I said I was from a wealthy town, so I understand where you come from.
    But it is pretty offensive that you'd jump to a conclusion like that.
    My family is by no means upper class, and debt has brought a lot of stress on my parents.

I'm not an ungrateful kid, and it's pretty harsh coming into this kinda judgement from my first post.

I do wanna thank the guys who's posts are helpful.
    For you others, I may be young and have a lot to learn, but being a little less judgmental makes things nicer for everyone.

I'm no troll, though. I know it sounds crazy and a little ridiculous for my age, I've gotten that reaction from the local people I've talked to.
    But I can proudly say I'm no regular teenager. I've had this kind of thought for months now. I promised myself that at any sort of second thought, I'd forget the whole thing. But the more research I do and more I learn, the more possible everything seems.

I want to be able to inspire people to break free from normal life, growing up and moving through the grades like everyone else. There's nothing wrong with formal education, I just wish people weren't pressured and influenced into following the trend. Everyone had wishes and dreams, but it's rare to find someone who follows them these days.

I'm not doing this to become famous or cool or anything by any means, I just want to live a live without looking back, and wondering "what if". Any help you guys can provide me with will further my journey through this world, and I can't thank you enough for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    Conbuch, Not a bad intro. I can guess that you maybe have been reading before your first post. You have made a great start by your honesty and offering a bit about your age and experience. Your statement of not forcing yourself into a time frame is commendable and should receive respect from this forum. The wisdom and knowledge in this forum can be of great benefit to you as it has ben for me.

You are young (me 46) you have the luxury of doing things by learning and preparing for your goal instead of the stress of "I'll figure it out along the way. That has gotten people injured even dead. I don't think I'm exaggerating.

I live in Appalachia country. It is a beautiful part of the country. The climate were I live can get as cold as Chicago were I moved from. Since December i've seen days in the low teens and up to nearly 60, we live in a valley and weather can get strange.

Here is a link to the Buckhannon WV. town profile. I offer this because at the bottom of the page there is weather data. You can do this for many cities around the US and find info on its general climate. This can give you an Idea of the climate in an area you may be considering.
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Buckha...-Virginia.html

Read, ask questions, get answers and refine your questions. This is only one great place to learn.
    Thanks a bunch Gryff, I'll make sure to do plenty of weather checks before hand. I know how important that can be. I've been up to the White Mountains in Vermont many times, and have enjoyed my stay beyond belief. The Appalachians have always presented me with beautiful moments in life, which is really why I choose to venture their first. Any info you can provide on the best remote locations, survival cabins, weather patterns, anything is beyond appreciated. Thanks man!

The biggest mistake you will make is not finishing high school. Knowledge is one of the most important, if not the most important, tools you can own so my first bit of advice is to stay in school and finish high school. What you do after that is up to you. In the interim, you can still work on and expand you tactile skills and learn about things like wild edibles, etc. You might want to take a look at this sticky. It's talks about the very things you are asking about. School first!!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=6837
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm not doing this to become famous or cool or anything by any means
    Thats a good thing...I can say from first hand experience following your heart to wild places and living a life of adventure outdoors- won't make you famous or cool...(my son thinks I am cool)...but it is very satisfying. Believe in yourself, educate yourself, and prepare yourself..then live your dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    How about an introduction? You just joined today it would seem. May be easier to help when we know a bit about you
    Yeah, no problem. As I stated, I'm a 17 year old Michigan resident.
    I've been a Boy Scout since Tiger Cubs, and am currently Eagle. I backpack as frequent as possible, and play rugby for a team in the spring. I'm an active Taoist, and meditate daily. I've have been working on plans for a good month and a half now, and am probably going to take a train as far as my checking account takes me :P (around $250). For now, I'm looking for any connections around the Appalachian area to help me out along the way.

Im 6'4, 200lbs., fairly muscular build. No drivers license, ID, or anything really.
    Just a kid with a strong will to find nature.

Blog Entries

conbuch,

it's been a long day and I'm way too tired to list the 1,000 reasons why your judgment leaves much to be desired.

Call this guy: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ber.php?u=1413
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Cool Well now half-ling...

Sorry, I don't give advice to non-adults other than to say FINISH SCHOOL! Knowledge is your most important survival skill. BTW, are you related to the guy running off to Russia?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    conbuch,

it's been a long day and I'm way too tired to list the 1,000 reasons why your judgment leaves much to be desired.

Call this guy: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ber.php?u=1413
    I know it's easy to call me out because Im still young, naive, and impulsive.
    That's why I threw in that little disclaimer.
    I don't know if it makes you feel more authoritative or something, but bashing me from assumptions and providing no positive criticism is pretty obnoxious.
    I'm not asking anything of you specifically, so if you don't want to help, just don't post here man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Sorry, I don't give advice to non-adults other than to say FINISH SCHOOL! Knowledge is your most important survival skill. BTW, are you related to the guy running off to Russia?
    Yeah, my plans for now was to finish school and depart during summer break, before my senior year. There was no intent to skip high school here.

Banned

Yeah Dude, you're harshin his gig

Banned

Yeah, my plans for now was to finish school and depart during summer break, before my senior year. There was no intent to skip high school here.
    you will miss the prom ?

Are you wanting to do the Appalachian Trail? You could easily get a bunch of it in (or all of it depending on how good a hiker you are) and still be close to civilization should anything happen or you decide to call it quits. But whatever you do, you won't do it without money. Going as far as your checkbook will get you will put behind the 8 ball.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Yeah Dude, you're harshin his gig
    That sounds painful!