Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Misunderstood Wire Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If that's all you had than just about any job.
    Choose to carry only one item and it is a wire saw? That ain't happening to me!

Banned

Well... space and weight constraints. The two I have shown are very well made and work as designed. If you buy a K-mart or Coughlans wire saw, then you have just spent too much money on something that does not work at all under any conditions. It is just one more tool in a redundant system of 1st measure, back up and then fall back. It is just one of those items that when you need it and don't have one that works....things go FUBAR.

I like them for what they are...and if used right, they will work as planned. I have used mine for cutting blind screws and nails, pipe, casement wire, conduit that is nailed to rafters etc...... all tasks that cannot be handled by conventional saws or other tools.
    Last edited by OhioGrizzLapp; 03-19-2011 at 09:53 PM.

You are right. My stuff won't fit in an Altoid tin.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 03-19-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    LOL, a sharp rock would work as well.........
    Any way I'm a basher, don't like them, and wouldn't have one with me anyway.
    Y'all can carry one, Just not for me.
    Triple EFFING ditto on that, I gave my wire saw the bell end, they $h#t me to tears. But everyone else can use them if they want to.

No, the best thing I use is a small tree surgeons chainsaw, and a liter of two stroke in a can. That can make a mountain of fire wood in an hour and a half.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Small one handed chainsaws are the go, if you really need to cut anything.
    Last edited by gordy; 03-20-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Good video and i learned some things but i recently tried the chainsaw type pocket saw and was totally won over. I have tried both and will stay with the chainsaw style.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

Banned

Gordy: Right, and you are packing the the small tree surgens chain saw and gas where ?

Huntermj: yes, the shain saw styles do work well, great for taking down high tree limb "Widow Makers" and standing dead woods.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    Gordy: Right, and you are packing the the small tree surgens chain saw and gas where ?
    In my pack.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It's all very easy. I only take it if I know that I will be using it a lot for wood fuel and shelter.
    Last edited by gordy; 03-21-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    THERE AIN'T NO EDGE OF THE PRESERVE

I've never found a wire saw that would work for more than 3 minutes without breaking. I got rid of them and got the "chain saw in a can" saws. But then, I never had one of the genuine military issue wire saws, either. The pocket chain saws are a little heavier than the wire saw, but do a great job of cutting wood and are very durable and easily resharpened.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~