Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Misunderstood Wire Saw

Default The Misunderstood Wire Saw

I have seen a lot of people bash the lowly wire saw. I have one I have used for about 15 years. The key is using it in the right way.Once again I have a few pics and a video.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The buck saw configuration works well.

In this video you can see how to make a bow saw using only your wire saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKk--LaKzY

Thanks for another great vid!

I like that idea. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You have some great ideas, thanks for sharing.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I tried the bow saw with it and never seemed to do any good. The only one that worked for me were the heavy ones we used to throw over limbs to cut with a 1/4" rope. Any particular brand you are using?
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I tried the bow saw with it and never seemed to do any good. The only one that worked for me were the heavy ones we used to throw over limbs to cut with a 1/4" rope. Any particular brand you are using?
    I wish I knew what brand this one is, I would buy about 5 more. I got it years ago and don't remember. Sorry

So what can I do with a wire saw that I can't do with the saw on my Victorinox Hunter model?
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    So what can I do with a wire saw that I can't do with the saw on my Victorinox Hunter model?
    I don't know I haven't seen either of the saws mentioned in action .
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Here ya go. 1 dollar. LOL ,check out the pic with the guy and the 6 inch tree!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Force-Comman...item27af0f8379

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Don't know

That was an excellent video. I do like the bow saw concept a lot better than the intended use, which, as you pointed out, tends to break very quickly. I do have a couple of wire saws but don't use them. I would if I had to and now that I've seen your video I'd use it that way. Thanks!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

IA Woodsman: another great thread and vid, thank you for sharing so much of your knowledge. You are 110% right, if the "Wire Saw" is used correctly, they can be an asset to a PSK. We were taught in US Navy Jungle Survival many of the uses of a wire saw. The whole jist of it is, how ever you use it, keep it tight and cool, do not over heat it.

These two saws shown are made by Frass Surgical Mfg., (Frass also supplied the saws to Hudson Bay for their Air-Crew kits for Bombers) they were the main supplier of personal (Pilots, Spec Ops etc) survival kits for the US Military during Nam and early 80's. . I found both of mine at a local Army-Navy store called Galcos. The typical brown/tan kraft sealed envelope each of them came in, gave the NSN as well as the mfg. and the actual kit they were supplied in. Both of these saws came out of Kit, Survival, Individual, Sustained - Hot/Wet Environment.

One of the saws have a thumb screw connector so the saw can be replaced, shortened in case of a break or passed through a hole in material that you would cut through like a scroll saw. The other has "snap" connectors where you just push the saw wire in and they snap onto the saws wire. Both came with an extra saw blade. When you are at a Army-Navy store, look in the corners and behind the counter for those out of the way envelopes, you will be very surprised at what you find in them.

Both of these are very high quality, the snap saw is a very aggressive and very pliable like wire rope. The thumb screw connector saw is somewhat stiff and made for harder materials. Both will work on wood and/or metals, plastics and soft materials like tires etc... if kept tight enough.

You can also try to get survival kit items and whole survival kits that the military uses from AMARC, they are the Military Bone Yard that dismantles, saves and stores obsolete US Military planes. They will take illegal items like drugs, guns, ammo, needles and flares/pen launchers out of the kits. They will then sell the kits after inspection. You can get some really good items for on the cheap from them as long as you know what you are looking for by way of a FSN (Fed Stock Number) or NSN (National Stock Number). You just have to build a relationship with them over time to get the really good stuff.

http://www.amarcexperience.com/Default.asp

Pictures of the two kinds of US Military Wire Saws that come in real US Military Survival Kits

Last edited by OhioGrizzLapp; 03-19-2011 at 05:55 AM.

You guys must have gotten your hands on some exceptional specimens. I have bought and tried two wire saws and they were both garbage. I would take a gerber sportsman saw or UST sabercut saw over a wire saw any day.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeetle View Post
    I have bought and tried two wire saws and they were both garbage.
    What he said.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeetle View Post
    You guys must have gotten your hands on some exceptional specimens. I have bought and tried two wire saws and they were both garbage.
    DITTO: I have gone to BowSaws (12" to 48" Bow Saws).

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    DITTO: I have gone to BowSaws (12" to 48" Bow Saws).
    What they said +1.
    I have never have run into a situation that a saw of this type would have been any use unless you make a task for it.
    Can some one would relate one task for this saw, that couldn't be handled with knife, axe/hatchet, bow saw, Wyoming saw, or even the SAK.

Only advantage I can see would be compactness, but if you need a frame work to use it (No offense IA, cool vid) what"s the point?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    Last time I used my wire saw was to cut a section of copper pipe out of an impossibly tight location. I only used it after I had first tried my knife, axe/hatchet, bow saw, Wyoming saw, and finally may Swiss Army knife (with considerable damage I might add). When finished, I then rolled it back up to its half dollar size and put it back in my mini pocket kit.
    OK, there's one...Where was a copper pipe?

Next time you have to cut copper pipe in a tight spot try one of these before using a wood saw or an axe.

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Pi...107.htm?nogs=1

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Can some one would relate one task for this saw, that couldn't be handled with knife, axe/hatchet, bow saw, Wyoming saw, or even the SAK.
    If that's all you had than just about any job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If that's all you had than just about any job.
    LOL, a sharp rock would work as well.........
    Any way I'm a basher, don't like them, and wouldn't have one with me anyway.
    Y'all can carry one, Just not for me.

Carry on, I be quite now.........