Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Real Emergency Survival"

Quote Originally Posted by BK-72 View Post
    Here is the link to the Facebook site of Camping Survival -
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fulton...?v=wall&ref=ts

Just go to the "Discussions" page, and you'll see the "What is real survival" topic.
    I don't think so, I can get in enough trouble around here, you have our answers/opinions, your call from here on.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Here is the link to the Facebook site of Camping Survival -
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fulton...?v=wall&ref=ts

Just go to the "Discussions" page, and you'll see the "What is real survival" topic.
    I don't think the OP on that facebook thingie has a clear grasp on what they are looking for. Store bought crap? What? Things like sleeping bag, stove, tent, water purifier, knife, axe, rope, etc. etc. Then, what do they mean by survival. That word gets thrown around a lot and often means very little. They probably need to clarify what they are talking about before any meaningful answers could be given.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't think the OP on that facebook thingie has a clear grasp on what they are looking for. Store bought crap? What? Things like sleeping bag, stove, tent, water purifier, knife, axe, rope, etc. etc. Then, what do they mean by survival. That word gets thrown around a lot and often means very little. They probably need to clarify what they are talking about before any meaningful answers could be given.
    Probably someone that wants to go into the wilderness with only a knife and "survive".

Anyway, most of think of gear as a bonus. I've bought from that site a few times. They usually have the best price on canned butter and a few other things.

I must not be a good survivalist since I buy canned cheese and butter....
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post

Yeah that's what I asked too. The post is about a month old, so who knows if he'll come back?

I shudder to think of Colleen's thesis on emergency preparedness for surviving "disaster in the wilds" while still relying on state-implemented emergency programs...
    She sounds a little confused.
    And unable to find anything online? Wow. Good research skills there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Sarge What one ? Rambo I, II , III or IV .cause Id kinda like to have the one from rambo IV
    The recent release of the Rambo 4 movie features a new Rambo knife. Known as the John Rambo Knife or the Rambo 4 knife, this collector blade is both expensive and quite unique.

As with Bear Grylls knife, the value of the Rambo 4 knife for survival is limited as much by its price tag as its construction. For the same amount of money you could purchase a large number of excellent survival knives that would serve you well in a variety of situations you are likely to find yourself.

Unfortunately Rambo 4 knives and similar blades give survival neophytes the impression that the best survival knife is overly large and heavy, often with outsized spines and blood grooves. Nothing could be further from the truth but an entire industry exists supplying these kinds of faux survival knives to the uniformed.

Making the Rambo 4 Knife

Rambo 4 knifeThe Rambo 4 knife is the replacement for the survival knife used in the previous movie. The premise is that Rambo loses his old Rambo 3 knife and improvises a new version of this important piece of survival gear with which he heroically forges ahead.

To do this he obtains an iron leaf spring and forges a crude blade from it. Not only that, a new sheath is fashioned from the one that housed the former Rambo knife.

Old truck leaf springs can be forged into excellent knives and in the future I will write a Survival Topic on how to do this. However the Rambo 4 knife that is made from a leaf spring is overly large and heavy for use as a practical survival knife.

Interestingly, the Rambo 4 knife was purposefully made in a crude fashion from a truck leaf spring in order to mesh with the storyline. Stallone wanted the blade to look crude and unfinished since in the movie knife was pounded out quickly in a primitive foundry.

Rambo KnifeTo give the Rambo 4 knife an added touch of crudeness, the handle was wrapped with dark green 550 paracord which any self respecting military survivalist would carry as a matter of course.

The result is a heavy, large survival knife with thick spine and crude finish. Because the knife was too long to fit into the old Rambo 3 knife sheath, the sheath was cut at the bottom to make room for the new Rambo blade.

Rambo 4 Knife Specifications
    Gil Hibben is making 100 authentic Rambo 4 knives based on the movie.

The limited edition Rambo 4 knife is eighteen inches in total length with a twelve inch by one-quarter inch thick blade made of D2 carbon steel. The full tang blade has a paracord wrapped handle covered with grip tape.

At a price of US$1250, this knife is of collectors interest only and will no doubt only increase in value.

There are a number of Rambo 4 knife knockoffs; however United Cutlery makes the only official reproduction of the Rambo 4 knife. At this time I am unable to find a price for the blade.

Why Buy a Rambo Knife?
    Knowing how to choose a survival knife is a fundamental survival skill. The only reason you would normally buy a “Rambo Knife” is as a collector blade or conversation piece. Overly large, heavy, and of often inferior materials, carrying a Rambo knife would be the mark of a survival beginner to any experienced outdoorsman.

Rather than a Rambo four knife the survival enthusiast or outdoorsman is far better off purchasing Becker Knives, Fallkniven, Gerber, or a SOG knife. If you want a knife used by a survival TV star perhaps the best choice is SurvivorMans knife.

Taken from the following website.
    http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/rambo-4-knife/
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Blog Entries

Cool What????

I can get a Gil Hibben Rambo Knife from Bud K for 50 bucks:

http://budk.com/Knives

http://budk.com/Knives/Gil-Hibben-IV-Machete

Rambo III anybody? http://knives.budk.com/search?asug=&...ibben%20Knives

For all of you Rambo Wannabees out there, enjoy!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Greetings, where can I find usable info, like dehydrating food, distilling water, banding billy goats, setting a broken leg...stuff like that?
    Thank you for your help. Dorothy

Hi Dorothy, A brilliant question. This forum has a search feature located at the top of the page. There is also an introduction section that helps us get to know our neighbors. In this section there is a bit of a survey that can help in your introduction. It isn't a mandatory thing but it does help us give you information suited to your knowledge and skill level.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

Here is a link I did for you on Dehydrated food. There are several discussions on that subject.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...archid=1958816
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 02-20-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

So I don't get around here too much, but I just saw something on Facebook that I thought I'd share and get some thoughts on.

The online store Camping Survival has a discussion started by someone who wanted to know what "Real Emergency Survival is about instead of this store bought Survival crap, that will not help you survive in a real Emergency"

What/how would you reply to this person?
    A. It all brakes down to location, season, situation needs to be defined.

B. As for all the store bought survival c**p. That needs to be defined.

C. "Real Emergency Survival" needs to be defined for your location.

Hard to give an answer to someone else's answers to ABC.

I define my WV home location hazard considerations as

C. Location: Central, WV Mountain Valley

Season: Winter average temp range 15 to 35 Dec to Feb.
    Summer average 58 low to 95 high June to Aug.

Situation: Flood, Power outage, Ice storms, High Winds,
    Car and truck accidents in front of house.

You get the idea. I'm building my emergency kits around were I am at most of the time. When I go camping it changes if location changes. My car kit BoB and house kit are different.

It's hard to recommend with out their ABC introduction thats why we request one here it helps us help them.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I think you're right on the mark, Karl.

It would be useless for me to prep for a tsunami here in the Midwest but a tornado, lightening storm, blizzard or drought could sure visit for a while. You have to figure out what has the greatest likelihood of occurring then spend you money and energy on the most probable first and work your way through the the least probable.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy Lyons View Post
    Greetings, where can I find usable info, like dehydrating food, distilling water, banding billy goats, setting a broken leg...stuff like that?
    Thank you for your help. Dorothy
    Hi, Dorothy!

Like Gryffy said, you may want to post an introduction. Our answers may vary depending on your location, skills, experience, etc.

We also have a search function that's really helpfu. If you have a specific question, just ask.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I personally wasted my time on that site trying to learn what they don't know. That one size fits all just don't work for me.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Id like to add two things,

When I was a young man, I used to watch my Ole Man make fishing lures.

One day I asked him why he made them, and not buy them. He said:

"Modern fishing lures are not designed to catch fish....
    They are designed to catch Fishermen!"

Ive always kept that in mind when buying things. Now you can too.

The second thing is I own a Rambo II knife. Its my camp chopper. Id never carry it, I have smaller units for that. It sure chops and guts well.

So I don't get around here too much, but I just saw something on Facebook that I thought I'd share and get some thoughts on.

The online store Camping Survival has a discussion started by someone who wanted to know what "Real Emergency Survival is about instead of this store bought Survival crap, that will not help you survive in a real Emergency"

What/how would you reply to this person?
    "What/how would you reply to this person?" ---- Nice to meet you Mr Gump. (No disrespect meant for the real Forrest).
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

The key word is "survivalist".......you are willing to survive and will do what ever you have to in order to stay alive.

In Russia and Ireland they used to kill their youngest kid (or someone elses kids) to feed the rest of the family............

A survivalist is willing to live anywhere and do what ever he has to do to stay alive, let it be by stealing or killing.......

The main weapon that a true survivalist has is his mind and then his body......if you have made up your mind to stay alive then the rest will fall into place on its own.

I for one have all the food that I might need for about eight years and PM for another twenty five years.......at seventy years old to me is not a matter of living but how to play the game.

Many of you think that what is to come will last for only a couple of years......well.... I have news for you.......get ready to bunker down for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce View Post
    The key word is "survivalist".......you are willing to survive and will do what ever you have to in order to stay alive.

In Russia and Ireland they used to kill their youngest kid (or someone elses kids) to feed the rest of the family............

A survivalist is willing to live anywhere and do what ever he has to do to stay alive, let it be by stealing or killing.......

The main weapon that a true survivalist has is his mind and then his body......if you have made up your mind to stay alive then the rest will fall into place on its own.

I for one have all the food that I might need for about eight years and PM for another twenty five years.......at seventy years old to me is not a matter of living but how to play the game.

Many of you think that what is to come will last for only a couple of years......well.... I have news for you.......get ready to bunker down for a very long time.
    Ponce - you've been around the forum enough to probably realize that most folks do an intro in the Introduction section. Since you seem to offer up some pretty specific ideas and advice, how about doing an intro so that we know who is giving it to us.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Eight years of food, huh? That must be pretty tough to keep rotated.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

OK CrashDive..........done.