Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Real Emergency Survival"

Default "Real Emergency Survival"

So I don't get around here too much, but I just saw something on Facebook that I thought I'd share and get some thoughts on.

The online store Camping Survival has a discussion started by someone who wanted to know what "Real Emergency Survival is about instead of this store bought Survival crap, that will not help you survive in a real Emergency"

What/how would you reply to this person?

Look at some real life survival situations. The earthquake in Haiti, hurricane of choice, chemical plant explosion, mud slides, wild fires, lost in the wilderness. Now they should ask themselves if any of the things offered would help in any of those situations. I'm not familiar with the site, but I have found that some, in an effort to market to the fear of the day do go a bit over the top. Don't know if this is one of those or not. The bottom line is if the gear offered is quality gear and can help in a situation that the buyer envisions ------ Also, as many will say - experience is good to have on your side as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by BK-72 View Post
    "Real Emergency Survival is about instead of this store bought Survival crap, that will not help you survive in a real Emergency"
    Well what is an individuals skill set? The more they know the less they need.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

^Right, I've seen those 'Emergency Kits' sold everywhere from Walmart to REI. You need to look at the contents. Some of them follow the 'standard' of what should go into a 3x5 "mint tin" emergency kit, others are just larger plastic bottles full of low quality imitations and junk.

Are you going to need fishhooks and line for a 2 day power outage? Probably not. But you might need them if you get lost for any length of time in the wilderness. Is a "Travel" first aid kit going to help you. Yes. But not if medical help is hours away. Is a one year supply of food gonna do anything for you if TEOTWAWKI happens? It might, but only if you have a plan on what to do when it runs out.

I'm waiting for the day they ever do a movie of the book "Patriots". Sure it will be sanitized of the message and amped for the adventure, but you can bet there will be even MORE junk on the market if they ever do it.

I'm only just returning to this preparation mindset after a many-years absence. I can see the hype applied to some stuff being sold out there, and the way it's made to appear as "gotta have". But there are other sources for sometimes better items out there. This forum has been a great help.

Choose wisely.
    Last edited by LowKey; 02-14-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries

I would've thought anything, including so called store brought carp would be a bonus in an emergergency if it does the job. JMO
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

The part is the IF. You don't want the false sense of security of having something you haven't checked. Do the matches light? Are the light sticks in date? Is that 3lb test line or 10lb? Is that real paracord or clothesline? I bought a $15 folding camp saw, took it out to play with it and the hinge parted. Kicked myself in the *** and went out and bought a good landscaper's folding saw instead. Something that is meant to do work and actually cut branches in a minimum number of strokes.
    Testing things like that is definitely worthwhile.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    The part is the IF. You don't want the false sense of security of having something you haven't checked. Do the matches light? Are the light sticks in date? Is that 3lb test line or 10lb? Is that real paracord or clothesline? I bought a $15 folding camp saw, took it out to play with it and the hinge parted. Kicked myself in the *** and went out and bought a good landscaper's folding saw instead. Something that is meant to do work and actually cut branches in a minimum number of strokes.
    I see what you mean Lowkey, I wasn't actually thinking of those kits Chalk this one up to a dolly moment
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I'm not sure the OP is talking about those kits either. Sounds like it might be a more generic question regarding all the different things a store might sell in the name of Emergency supplies.

Blog Entries

In that case then, I'll butt out of this one, we don't have dedicated emergency supply retailers over here, so I do make do!

wanted to know what "Real Emergency Survival is about instead of this store bought Survival crap, that will not help you survive in a real Emergency"

Real emergency survival, Knowledge+learned applied skills=real emergency survival.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

...there's always the "Rambo" knife...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Sarge What one ? Rambo I, II , III or IV .cause Id kinda like to have the one from rambo IV
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Testing your kit is good. But, remember to plan for the what ifs you can't get to your kit.

Its in the trunk when your trapped in the front seat. Its in your tent or on your quad when your lost because you walked into the bush to do your business and got turned around.

I think one of the greatest survival skills is realizing it can happen to anyone and that when it does it will be when you least expect it are least prepared to deal with it.

Even if someone buys a ready put together kit with some garbage in it. It is better than putting off until tomorrow. If the cheap saw broke on the first use, they would still have a blade to improvise with. Along with the remainder of the kit.

Now, if the would just use the kit when they don't need it. Then they could learn the hows, whats , whens and wheres of it and they would soon have a kit they could "LIVE" with.

Also, every time you hear about a survival story. Instead of calling that person a dumbarse and saying that it couldn't happen to you. I say what if it did happen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    now see i found the opposite, i had a gerber folding saw used it once and then when i went to use it again i noticed the nut to hold the blade to the handle was gone. now the 9 dollar coughlins folding saw that i carry in my front pocket everyday is the best i have ever used, cuts up to wrist sized branches very well

bk-72 can u post a link to this site? before i comment to much i would like to see it. but i beleive that you can have sarges school bus full of stuff and still die, the two most important traits to posses-the ability to work under pressure and being organized-train all ya want if ya crack under pressure ur done
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    bk-72 can u post a link to this site? before i comment to much i would like to see it. but i beleive that you can have sarges school bus full of stuff and still die, the two most important traits to posses-the ability to work under pressure and being organized-train all ya want if ya crack under pressure ur done
    For the record I haven't driven a School bus in years, Transit buses, yes!
    I, too, would like to see the link.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Sarge What one ? Rambo I, II , III or IV .cause Id kinda like to have the one from rambo IV
    Rambo 1, it was a joke. The knife in Rambo 4 WAS a good one; I liked it because it was NOT a hollywood knock-off, but a handmade working blade.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    .......the two most important traits to posses-the ability to work under pressure and being organized-train all ya want if ya crack under pressure ur done
    OMG! wareagle, I actually AGREE with some of your post!

Fortunately, I work best under pressure, and I've trained the trainers. It's like riding a bike. After a while, it becomes second nature and you'll never forget how to do it. It's neat when people later ask "how did you remain so calm and know exactly what to do?"

wareagle, you recently suggested that maybe we shouldn't post about things we haven't mastered ourselves. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I know from first hand experience that most folks will either panic or have no idea what they should do in a crisis.

For what it's worth, I've never been in any emergency, disaster, or wilderness situation where I haven't had the resources and ability to deal with the situation and take charge as necessary. Why? Training, temperment, preparedness, planning, and on occasion - pure sh!t luck.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

So I don't get around here too much, but I just saw something on Facebook that I thought I'd share and get some thoughts on.

The online store Camping Survival has a discussion started by someone who wanted to know what "Real Emergency Survival is about instead of this store bought Survival crap, that will not help you survive in a real Emergency"

IMHO, the is no such thing as "store bought survival crap", just "some crap" better than others, especially if you have nothing.
    Don't get me wrong I do think there is a lot of "crap" out there, but unless you try it out, you won't know.

The trick is to have knowledge to get you out of what ever situation you find your self in, anything from surviving a plane crash, to losing your source of income, to snow storms where they ain't supposed to be, to changing a flat tire etc. etc.

As far as gear goes, and I think we all are "gear heads" around here, you get what you pay for, generally, but no matter what it is, knowing how to use it and having it are too different things.

Signature of one of our members, Klkak >Quote:
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.
    >quote
    This is probably the best and wisest statement, I have seen in a long time, right up there with my favorite.(In my signature)
    "The more you know, the less you have to carry"

So the answer would have to be "Whats your emergency?"
    Same question as asked by 911 operators.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by WE
    i beleive that you can have sarges school bus full of stuff and still die
    But at least you'll die comfortably. There's a lot to be said in that. Not much worse than dying uncomfortably.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here is the link to the Facebook site of Camping Survival -
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fulton...?v=wall&ref=ts

Just go to the "Discussions" page, and you'll see the "What is real survival" topic.