Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug out vehicle

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Yeah, what he said!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    A big bag of popcorn, warm fuzzy slippers, a big blanket, a couple of good books and lots of ammunition for my rifles...digging in as opposed to bugging out.
    Since everybody else will be leavin', I'm hangin".
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I don’t even have a vehicle lol.

I live out in the boonies,I think its safer to stay put .
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I think the topic was what you would use to "bug out" evac if the need be, like those people in So. Cal., didn't have a choice.. fire a comming leave or burn, no preperations made before hand then you leave with what you have on you if anything at all.
    In BC, some people had over a week to prepare and get important items ready for evac... even then many left all their belongings, memories behind in a last minute panic rush.
    To thyne self be true

then the answer becomes either you have a vehicle (or a ride) or you don't. IN every one of these threads we come down to talking to people about being prepared for emergencies, no?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

In one instance
    "I don’t even have a vehicle lol." Owl_girl

now how would she solve her dilemma?
    What could she use to solve the problem the best she could, no?
    To thyne self be true

Succinct to the point of poignancy. The correct answer is ..yes!

Options:

1. Get a vehicle
    2. have a ride arranged for shtf situations
    3. be prepared to hunker down and weather whatever is forcing others to evac.

Assess each option, break them down into smaller options (vis: buy a vehicle, steal a vehicle...whatever)

Choose based on the most viable options.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Did I leave out yawn?? YAWWWNNN

If we're talking things we already have, then we'd toss our camping gear, bicycles, dogs, and portable food in the old beat-up Ford Courier and hit the road to one of probably 30 places I know around here that we could hole up in safely. If we're talking fantasy, then I'd rather have a couple of horses or off-road motorcycles/atvs, with emergency gear ready to roll at any time. Currently, I have neither the space or the money to have such a setup, so the Courier and camping gear is the best I can do.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on a gas or diesel vehicle for more than a few days, because soon you'll find yourself spending more time looking for gas than surviving. If anything, a car, truck, atv, or motorcycle would probably be best suited to just getting you out of harm's way and to a safe place. A well-stocked backup location would be much easier to survive in than a nomadic Mad Max-style wandering trek. Just my two cents' worth.

Where would you go that someone won't end up there too? Or intercept you in route? I'll sit it out here. I have what I need, I know where my family is, I have good neighbors that watch out for one another, and I have backups of just about everything. Things would have to be a special kind of screwed up (chemical spill/fire, etc.) for me to bug out (but the bag is packed just in case).

Save some of that popcorn for me, Trax. (Yawn) You take the first watch.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Where would you go that someone won't end up there too? Or intercept you in route? I'll sit it out here. I have what I need, I know where my family is, I have good neighbors that watch out for one another, and I have backups of just about everything. Things would have to be a special kind of screwed up (chemical spill/fire, etc.) for me to bug out (but the bag is packed just in case).

Save some of that popcorn for me, Trax. (Yawn) You take the first watch.
    I dont think you were the other criterion he was talking about!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I swear girl, you are as bad as the boys. I've been mistaken for a lot of things in my days but never, I repeat, never have I been mistaken for a criterion. (I"m gonna go look that word up right now.)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Criterion=necessity, Nothing personal Rick, but Nell's right, you weren't who...whoops I mean what(or do I??)...I was thinking of

but if you show up we'll share the popcorn

Trax! Buddy! Pal! Look at our avatars! We're brothers. Wolves. Wildmen. I mean, come on. Here's the plan. We tell everyone I'm the good lookin' and smart one and you supply the popcorn. Deal? (remember how well you complimented me on my avatar before you answer). (wink).

Jeep Rubicon with 4" to 6" lift pkg.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

A poser shot of my expedition and SAR response vehicle.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Wilderness Search and Rescue . . . smrg.org

Banned
    Blog Entries

Military 6 X 6 troop carrier, or My Cat D-8 (Talk about your ATV). But I just use them for gardening, if you plant potato's using the ripper on the D-8 your done by noon and can take a hike.

I'll bet the blade makes it easy to build the hills, too, doesn't it?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'll bet the blade makes it easy to build the hills, too, doesn't it?
    A Cat D-8 make a impressive driveway Gate.