Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: member responsibility here

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i was on a nature walk with allot of women and the old guy leading it was trying to sound impressive, he stated that rock tripe cures diahrea, which after trying found it caused it, why? well because the rock tripe actually absorbes pollutants from the air so if you are in the big city it probably will be counter procductive but(and i have yet to test this) if you are out in the middle of no where and in cleaner air it ay work, but all tony said is that it cures diahrea very irresponsible to pass this along most likely becuase someone said that to him or he read it w/o putting in the research
    So, WE, lets say that it is commonly reported in WILDERNESS SURVIVAL books that rock tripe is a natural cure for diarrhea.

I certainly would have to be way north of where I am normally and also have diarrhea in the wilderness to even try it as a cure. So, I am guessing it would be nearly impossible for me to actually have any chance of first hand experience with this particular plant.

If I am having a conversation with someone and they make the statement that "Rock Tripe is natural cure for diarhea." Your saying it would be irresponsible for me to tell them that in some cases where rock tripe is near a source of pollution it may actually worsen your symptoms?

Notice that I did not say it causes diarrhea. I would assume that if you are trying it as a cure. That you actually had the diarrhea when you tried to cure it. If not, then you would have to guess what caused the diarrhea. Otherwise, you will have to, while healthy and eliminating as many other risk factors as possible, try the rock tripe several more times and see if you get sick each time or at least the majority of time.

Most who have read any good books on wild edibles will have already have been warned to be careful of eating plants that are near road sides or populated places because of the risk of pollutants.

But, I don't believe that if in the above conversation, I caution someone that using rock tripe to cure diarrhea may have the opposite effect if the lichen has been exposed to pollutants. In fact it would be irresponsible of me not to caution that person, IMHO. I would of course site my source as an internet forum.

Also, there are more than a few people on every forum that claim experience or skills that they do not even come close to owning. None of us have the ability to weed them out completely. I have read one story on this site reportedly happened down here in the Everglades. It was either HEAVILY embellished or straight BS. I looked to see if I saw anything that could get someone hurt. There was not anything that I could see and so I just left it be.

The nice thing is that by your post here about rock tripe. We forum members can say we have heard of a case where it might do more harm... We couldn't say that elsewhere under your rules of posting.

If you read on a forum that moose poop is a good insect repellant. Wouldn't you try and find more reputable sources?

Google it!

It's been my observation on this forum, due to the members' knowledge and experience, that when an inaccurate statement is made it is pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    It's been my observation on this forum, due to the members' knowledge and experience, that when an inaccurate statement is made it is pointed out.

Yeah think? LOL LOL.............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah think? LOL LOL.............
    I like the inaccurate or embellished statements. It gives something to the forum... Entertainment.
    Last edited by rebel; 02-13-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Blog Entries

yes i think you understand it, i try to only post what i have done(ie i have not driven a semi to jeaneu so i don't post about it)
    WE, The reason I brought up the driving to Juneau thing is because there are "NO ROAD" to Juneau. I don't know this because I tried to drive there and found I couldn't but I read there are no roads to Juneau. The same when I posted about the most remote place in Alaska. Why should I spin my wheels trying to figure it out when someone else has already done it and all I have to do is ask google. Some of what you say on this subject makes very good sense but not all.

Kevin,
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

The difference between a fairytale and a redneck fairytale,
    Fairy tale starts out, "Once upon a time.............
    Redneck fairytale, " Y'all ain't never gonna believe this smitt..........

Of course it would be nice if posters did identify which option they were using...
    No, Rebel, you're right,.... entertainment value,......... pick the gem from the BS.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    The difference between a fairytale and a redneck fairytale,
    Fairy tale starts out, "Once upon a time.............
    Redneck fairytale, " Y'all ain't never gonna believe this smitt..........

Of course it would be nice if posters did identify which option they were using...
    No, Rebel, you're right,.... entertainment value,......... pick the gem from the BS.
    That's funny and it reminded me of things you don't want to hear.

"Watch this" and "Hold my beer".

Quote Originally Posted by WE
    because the rock tripe actually absorbes pollutants from the air so if you are in the big city it probably will be counter procductive but(and i have yet to test this)
    I see this is as valid info. I guess I'm in Dbldrew's court on this one. I'm not trying to change your mind but someone else says, Oh, yeah, I've done that (or the opposite) and some discussion takes place. In the end, we learn by everyone's experience. Then I can go out and try it or not and hone my skill at it.

I'll still say that I think you have some keen insight into plants that others could learn from. Just as your post above.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well all I can say is nobody should blindly follow anyones adivce,no matter the source or personal expieriece, esp in the area of wild edibles. For instance I have a nephew whos can't eat corn! He'll puke his guts out! I also know a woman who can't drink beer! She's allergic to hops!

Bottom line, is NEVER eat anything (plant or mushrooms) without trying a very small portion,like ONE BITE!, wait 24hrs and eat a little more!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Uproven and even flase stuff gets passed around all the time. It's what we do as humans. It's not a good idea, I agree, but it happens.

I've taken your approach now though WE, because i see the damage passing along unproven info can do.

It became excrutiatingly apparent once I started delving into survival/ wilderness living subjects, especially wild plants, water procurement and shelters. lotsa bad info out there getting regurgitated to the point that you can't even find good info for all the bad info search results getting in the way.

I appreciate your approach WE.

so after much thinking today, cuz thats what i do , i am a thinking type of man, i analyze lots of things and try to look at things from different angles, i thanks the dead poets society for this kwirk and a long conversation with palerider there are a few points that i must concede
    1-i am not a biologist or a botanist, i do not have a degree, so a point that i made today about rock tripe is based upon what i have read and not my own scientfic data, but a real biologist who has a degree and whose word i value.
    2- so i will concede some points about reading and posting.
    but that being said i still stand by what i said about responsible posting, i at least verified my info about rock tripe from a couple of sources first.
    there are just sooooo many myths out there and most people(not just here but in the real world too) seem to add to these myths cuz they pass them along.
    we did an experiment when i was in military school when i was 13, all the cadets hwere lined up in the student union and the commander whispered something in the first cadets ear, as it made its way around the room it changed dramtically till it got to the last person.
    that is part of my point here, to speak the truth as i know it and research it when i hear something about a plant i experiment with it so when i post it here you will know it to be fact-there will be no second geussing that is my responsibility that i feel towards all the members and guests out here.
    WE
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

thanks for that rwc1969

It's called the telephone game, WE. And it's an excellent example of how people twist and turn details. Good point.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

While I totally respect your decision, WE, I don't think it's all that well thought out. You see, not only will you have to report on what works, after trying it yourself, your going to have to go to the "flip-side" & report on what don't work the same way: Poisonous mushrooms, drinking pee, & so on! How do we KNOW that certain mushrooms are deadly when eaten if WE didn't die doing it? If the same creiteria is not applied you've just created a "double-standard." I'm never going to test the toxic dangers of drinking pee by actually drinking it, I don't care two farts in the wind what kind of ephiphany you had! I read that it's bad in all the survival books that I've read; I'll just have to take their word for it! Bear Grylls be hanged! That's MY 2 cents!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Oh, lest I forget...

And BTW, the story about Rick wearing the Twinkie suit IS true, I know cuz Ken told me!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

good point sarge, something to think about.
    now heres something else to think about, not one person can find proof of kens intelligence, hmm coincidence i think not

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

good point sarge, something to think about.
    now heres something else to think about, not one person can find proof of kens intelligence, hmm coincidence i think not
    I was going to argue that point, but a man who won't treat himself to a squirrel dinner when the critters are right there being hand fed? You have a valid point.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 02-14-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Y'all, don't get me started!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    And BTW, the story about Rick wearing the Twinkie suit IS true, I know cuz Ken told me!
    Nice guy, Sarge. Trying to antagonize Rick huh? Why don't you just ban me yourself and get it over with?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark