Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: member responsibility here

Default member responsibility here

so this thread has been on my mind for a while, and after what has come to light in another thread i have decided to say my peice
    So if you notice the last few months i have not posted near as much as i used to, this after reading about ghandi and a mother who asked him to tell her son to stop eating sugar, ghandi said to come back in two weeks. so the mother comes back two weeks later and then ghandi tell the child to stop eating sugar it is bad for you, the mother then says" why did you wait two weeks to say this", and ghandi replies," i first had to stop eating sugar to then be able to tell him that"
    so my point is, i feel responsible here about what i post, so i have kept my reponses down to wild edibles and emergency preparedeness, if i post that you can make popcorn out of wild lilly seeds (no i have not tried) then that is what i have done.
    as a responsible member i will not post something that i have seen online, in a book or on a video
    as a responsible member if i post about something it is because i have done it, not watched allen do it but done it myself,yes by watching allen do it i see that it is possible but it is different making my hands do it, and thus better able to explain it, that is why i am happy poco sent me some flint so i can try fire starting with rocks.
    i see it as my responsibility to pass my information and experience along to others in the most truthfull and informative manner possible.
    this is a responsibility i take to heart and hope others wil do the same, you never know who is lurking out there who is taking all this to heart.
    my intentions are to be this way for a couple of reasons,1-to help make this the best forum out there, 2- when the time comes i hope allot of people have great skills to fall back on and thus making life easier for everyone
    thanks for reading this
    WE
    Last edited by wareagle69; 02-13-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Well, that's okay if that's what you want to do. But learning is learning. Does it matter where it comes from as long as it's a responsible source? I do agree that experience is crucial but you have learn how to do a thing to gain experience at doing it. We pass along information to each other through a variety of means. AND.... who says you actually did it other than you? I'm not challenging you but you understand my point.

As long as we are honest in our approach (I haven't done this but I've read that...or something similar) then it's all good in my book.

Besides, you have a lot more to offer than just edibles.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Okay, so in the event that the subject arises, I will NOT recommend against self-immolation or jumping into an active volcano simply because I have never tried it myself.

Am I on the right track here, WE?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

You can gain knowledge many different ways, and actually having first hand experience is always a good thing, but isn’t the only way to learn and teach. Personally I think as long as you preference your advice you are going to give with how you came to learn it there is no problem. As in, “I’ve read that..” or “I was shown that…” or “I was told that…” or “what I’ve done…” This way the person receiving the advice knows if it is first hand knowledge or not.

As Ken suggested, if someone came to you and was depressed and was contemplating suicide, are you going to keep quiet and not advise him because you never attempted suicide? I hope not…
    If you light a fire for a man he is warm for a day, but if you light that man ON fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

wow thats impressive, you take a very simple statement about responsibility and turn it into something else, of course ken is a lawyer and an "expert" at making simple things complicated
    dbldrew- i completley agree that there are many ways to learn including reading. i have a great many books but knowledge w/o application is ineffective
    also to add ot your statement if folks posted that"i have read that you can make popcorn from lilly seeds" that would be one thing but.....
    there in lies the problem if someone posts here that rick wears a twinkie suit or that ken is intelligent then someone reads that and passes it along as fact and before you know it everyone here thinks ken is intelligent when that has yet to be proved a reality, why just cuz i read it somewhere?
    i try, when i read about a weed that has medicinal properties to question that staement even if i read it from euell gibbons or allen beauchamp i always question it and verify it
    example. i was on a nature walk with allot of women and the old guy leading it was trying to sound impressive, he stated that rock tripe cures diahrea, which after trying found it caused it, why? well because the rock tripe actually absorbes pollutants from the air so if you are in the big city it probably will be counter procductive but(and i have yet to test this) if you are out in the middle of no where and in cleaner air it ay work, but all tony said is that it cures diahrea very irresponsible to pass this along most likely becuase someone said that to him or he read it w/o putting in the research

as you can see what i am saying is much different than standing by as someone jumps into a volcano or tries to hurt himeslf-that would be irresponsible
    see the diffrence?
    Last edited by wareagle69; 02-13-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Well obviously by your stance on the volcano jumping/suicide this isn’t an all or nothing issue. So it goes back to what I said earlier and just preference your knowledge based on how you learned it.

If someone asked you a question about wilderness survival and this is something that you never tried and had first hand knowledge on BUT you have read about it in the SAS Survival handbook (or other reliable source) are you really going to not answer? I really see no problem with you saying “well I’ve never done that but I’ve read in the SAS that…” What’s the problem with that? If you are confident in your source of info why not share that knowledge?

Maybe I don’t fully understand your stance, but on the surface of not tried= no advice seems a bit silly to me. This is not how people learn and share knowledge, but if that is your stance then that is your stance and up to you to make that call.
    If you light a fire for a man he is warm for a day, but if you light that man ON fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

the secrete to longevity is careful planning and common sense, but there are still people who will walk out in front of a bus or eat a toad stool even after you tell them they will probably die. A person with no common sense won't survive after the lights go out anyway.

WE,I'm not sure I fully understand what you point is ( no disrespect intended) , is it if you haven't done it yourself ( hands on ) then you shouldn't talk about it , There are a lot of things I was trained to do , That I do not talk about here or in any forum because of the level of training involved, But I have sharpened many knives if I tell someone on here how I sharpen my knife and even provide a video , what if they do it wrong and cut off a finger, What if you give some wild edible advice and provide pictures but someone still gets the wrong plant and gets sick, should we stop sharing info that could potentially be dangerous I fully believe that no matter what info is posted if you attempt something new do so with caution and get help ands advice from everyone that can help, .
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

if i had no knowledge of wilderness survival, how would i know that sas guide is reputable thats the problem people read something loose something very important in translation and then pass it along, hense my reference to the guide and his info on rock tripe.
    my point is this, i try to think like a newbie when i post, someone who visits here but has not joined allot here(and allot not) have great wisdom and expereince and i think it is important to only pass on info that is proven, of course it is now the guests responsibility to go verify this.
    example- i posted a while ago about mullein leaves, in no book anywhere can i find reference to the leaves being edible, but they are cuz i ate them, very tastely when cooked right, but i am fortunate to have two people in my life who teach me these things, but i would still recomend someone verifying this for them selves do the reseach learn everything about this plant. call the university in your area talk to botanists and so on.

Ok WE I see what your saying, If you read in a book that moose poop is good for skeeter bites , if ya havent slathered up in the stuff yourself and know for a fact it works , dont say it does.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    WE,I'm not sure I fully understand what you point is ( no disrespect intended) , is it if you haven't done it yourself ( hands on ) then you shouldn't talk about it , There are a lot of things I was trained to do , That I do not talk about here or in any forum because of the level of training involved, But I have sharpened many knives if I tell someone on here how I sharpen my knife and even provide a video , what if they do it wrong and cut off a finger, What if you give some wild edible advice and provide pictures but someone still gets the wrong plant and gets sick, should we stop sharing info that could potentially be dangerous I fully believe that no matter what info is posted if you attempt something new do so with caution and get help ands advice from everyone that can help, .
    yes i think you understand it, i try to only post what i have done(ie i have not driven a semi to jeaneu so i don't post about it) if i post about a plant that means i first read about it or learned it from my teachers then i learned all about it over a year or two of watching that plant then after two years i ate it, then i pass that info along. but then now it is your responsibility to do the same read about it, studing it know it, own it then if and only if you have done all that eat it.
    as i have talked about many times before-owning a skill, it is very important, many a myth has been passed along and started due to inexperience, i have seen a elk shot skinned and quartered, but i will not tell someone else how to do it.
    anyhow this is getting more complicated than i had intended, leave it it humans to complicate things that are so simple, i do that too, canning something and i was like "thats it" i thought it was harder than that.
    such is life

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Ok WE I see what your saying, If you read in a book that moose poop is good for skeeter bites , if ya havent slathered up in the stuff yourself and know for a fact it works , dont say it does.
    exactly. sometimes peole here are better at saying things than i am
    obt way palntain is good for skeeter bites, just chew it up and slather jucie on the bites

Sometimes the simple things are the hardest to understand.

WE, I think that you should be commended for your views, experiance is the best teacher.
    The world would much better if everyone took honesty and responsibility as serious as that.

I try to learn from any way possible, and I think it would be sad for you to limit your self to only passing along just what you have tried.

I wouldn't want to limit my self if wareagle posted something valable or intresting.
    And I felt it could be pasted on (with proper credit), just because I haven't tried it or did try it and wasn't successful (yet?)
    Unless that is your desire?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

hunter. if you feel that my posts are responsible and truthful, and the only way to really know if i am not full of it is to find out for yourself or listen to others with similar posts, then feel free to pass it along. example fire starting with rocks, if i am successful and you are not doesn't mean it isn't true if several others say it can be done, allen has said he can do it, while i do not doubt him, i have not seen him do this nor have i been able to do it, thats why i asked pocco to send me some flint, once i know it can be done with flint i will move onto other rocks, but its the technique with something that works that i need to perfect before i move onto other types of rocks
    welderguy-now i am sitting here wondering? is moose poop good for skeeter bites? its like that song you hear on the radio and gets stuck in your head all day
    Last edited by wareagle69; 02-13-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Interesting statement about if you had no knowledge. How did you get your knowledge on survival? Where you just born with it? Or did someone tell you, show you, or you read about it? That’s how humans learn we have to read, shown, told, or figure out on your own, to lean how to do something.

Once you have read about it you practice it in the field. But how is someone new going to get past the first step (read/told) to be able to take the knowledge learned and turn that into a real world experience, if you shut down the first step? I guess they could look elsewhere but doesn’t that go against what this forum is about?

I understand what you are saying about passing on bad information, but again if the source of the info is given then said newbie can make a informed decision on what to try in the field and what info to disregard.

i think you are misunderstanding me, welder guy said it the best- if you read about moose poo being good for skeeter bites, don't post about how great it works unless you have proven that theory yourself.
    most of what i have learned is by reading about it, then testing that theory, i am not suggesting people read about it and not do it, all i say is prove that knowledge before you pass it along, it keeps the learning more pure, but welderguy said it the best and kept it very simple thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i think you are misunderstanding me, welder guy said it the best- if you read about moose poo being good for skeeter bites, don't post about how great it works unless you have proven that theory yourself.
    most of what i have learned is by reading about it, then testing that theory, i am not suggesting people read about it and not do it, all i say is prove that knowledge before you pass it along, it keeps the learning more pure, but welderguy said it the best and kept it very simple thanks for that
    I understand that but if someone comes on and asks “what works good for skeeter bites”

Your stance is no response to the thread. (lots of unanswered posts and no point to the forum)

My stance is welderguy response is “well I read somewhere that moose poop works great, never tried it myself but more power to ya if you want to try” Now newbie can decide to smear down with poop or look for other options (and maybe if he tries it, it verifies if it works) Forum is strong and there are active discussions the world is a happy place.

I think that pretending that you have first hand experience when all you have done is read about something is irresponsible. But the “no try=no advice” stance is pointless to have on a forum.

we can discuus our points all day long here with examples of this and that, i have spoken my peice

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    we can discuus our points all day long here with examples of this and that, i have spoken my peice
    That’s your choice to make and I respect that, even if I strongly disagree with your decision.